Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Judges have a semi-rifled bore, if I remember right. It's seen as a .45LC revolver that "just so happens" to fit .410.
    "Shotguns" as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections
    1289.1[21-1289.1] through 1289.17[21-1289.17] of this title, shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels more than eighteen (18) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion, but not to include any weapon so designed with a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches in length. In addition, any "shotgun" capable of firing single projectiles but primarily designed to fire multiple projectiles such as "shot" will be regarded as a "shotgun".

TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
    A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
    Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
    a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches,
    b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected
    to be able to cause lethal injury,
    c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
    d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
    B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation
    pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.
    Is there a mention of rifled or smooth bores?
    Is there a mention of a shotgun even being designed to be 'fired from the shoulder'?

For what it's worth, the Georgia Code defines a long-gun as:
    (4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
    I can only guess how many hundreds of 16" barreled AR's, AK's, FN's and whatever other carbines are transferred by GA FFL's on a daily basis without any arrests by the state.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 05-25-17 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have the budget to afford a lawyer to contest the state, so 4+ inches of barrel - to me - has to be inconsequential.

I agree that the State law is not in accordance with Federal regulations, but the Tenth Amendment allows for such... inconsistencies.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    Its not a "fighting shotgun", but it doesn't appear as useless as one would think. I'm thinking of getting one, semi-compact and handy, definitely requires technique...

Good review.

I got to see and handle one of these at the last gunshow. Its great if it meets your needs or budget. Still a bit overpriced (I think it was $450 at the show).

Feedback Score
    When I move to Texas and become a resident the shockwave is on my short list of first firearms to get

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    I don't have the budget to afford a lawyer to contest the state, so 4+ inches of barrel - to me - has to be inconsequential.

I agree that the State law is not in accordance with Federal regulations, but the Tenth Amendment allows for such... inconsistencies.
    States are not allowed to override the Constitution, we are just to cowardly to stand up to them.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't believe TX allows them either.

This thing would make a great truck gun, or something to carry in grizzly country hiking or camping.

A fixed sight AR15 is a toy to some people, a serious tool to others.

A 5 shot snubbie is an invaluable tool to some, a joke to others.

Depends upon your application.

I would love one of these, probably the mossberg over the remington for the increased ammunition capacity (17%) and the invaluable handguard strap which I would personally need to keep from being known as "Captain Hook"

#1 Federal Tactical for defensive usage (tighter groups with the flight control wad that works)

S&B 00 buck for defensive usage (biggest damn spread I've ever witnessed- just loaded shot in plastic hulls)

Feedback Score
    These are legal as of Sept 1 2017 in TX.

Quote Originally Posted by TSRA Email
    HB1819 sets up Texas law in preparation for the Hearing Protection Act (HR 367) to pass in Congress. The Hearing Protection Act would remove suppressors, also known as silencers, from the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) . This means the purchaser of a suppressor would no longer be required to pay the suppressor dealer a deposit, fill out the form 4, transmit digital fingerprints, send BATFE $200, followed by waiting as long as a year for their application to be processed, the "tax stamp" issued and the purchase finalized. Again, we're only talking about suppressors. A device which simply muffles sound.
    The US Congress, under our current administration, is expected to act and when the change occurs Texas law will be ready to accommodate the change. This means law-abiding Texans wanting a suppressor for their firearm will show their LTC or submit to NICS as though they were purchasing a firearm. No forms and no $200 tax to BATFE when the Hearing Protection Act passes in Congress.

But wait, there's more! MossBerg Shockwave!

It was brought to our attention by State Rep. Poncho Nevarez (D-Eagle Pass) and by TSRA members that the Mossberg 590 Shockwave could not be purchased in two states: Texas and Ohio. There is a Mossberg manufacturing facility in Eagle Pass.
    You see BATFE does not require this 14" barrel, pistol grip "firearm" to be registered as an NFA device. The Shockwave is not a shoulder-mount shotgun.
    The Mossberg amendment was added in the Senate by Senator Craig Estes. Thanks of course to Senator Charles Perry the Senate sponsor for HB 1819.
    HB1819 has now been signed by Governor Abbott and takes effect September 1st. We may have a wait to purchase a suppressor but we will purchase the Mossberg 590 Shockwave and other similar firearms after Sept. 1s.

HB1819 Bill History with Co-Author's List
    Governor Signed (5/26/2017) Effective Date 9/1/2017 for Texas law but we wait on Congress!
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 09-07-17 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BGREID View Post
    States are not allowed to override the Constitution, we are just to cowardly to stand up to them.
    The USC does not grant any rights; it solely enumerates SOME of our god-given rights, not all. You're endowed by your creator with certain rights the moment you're woven in your mother's womb. Exercise, fight for, and protect your rights, or else they're history.
    Last edited by Feline; 09-07-17 at 08:12.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The thought of having a short barrel gun that shoot 12 gauge shell, compact enough to carry in a duffel bag AND doesn't require a tax stamp intrigued me. So I bought a slightly used Shockwave from a local guy. Took it and a box of 1 oz. bird shots to the range and set up a paper target the size of an IDPA/USPSA target. I started at 5 yds. I did watch Clint Smith's video before buying the gun so I took his advice and didn't put the trigger hand anywhere near my face, not wanting to knock myself out with the first shot. I held the gun kind of like shooting a handgun in the retention position, i.e the trigger hand next to my rib cage as high as possible about nipple high and the front hand inside the retaining strap. The first shot my front hand slipped a little but didn't come off the gun. The shots all hit the center of the target, blowing a hole slightly bigger than my fist, very impressive. For the next shot, I took two huge steps backward, so I was about 7 yds from the target. Similar results, on the target and with me shooting. At 10 yards, I didn't hit the target, I fired a couple of shots and realized I was shooting high. Focusing over the barrel and making sure my body was squared with the target, I made contact with the fresh new target for the next several shots. It took quite a bit of time to get all shots on target. I backed up to 15 yards and it was hard for me to keep the shots on target while shooting from high chest level and basically point shooting.

I didn't dare holding the gun as high as Mr. Smith did in his video, I know my limitation. The trigger hand was quite comfortable for all shots, I guess the grip designer knew what he was doing. The front hand was a different story. Even with the strap, I had difficulty holding on to the handguard. Maybe my little hand or weak grip strength but twice in 25 shots, my hand came off the handguard, the strap did keep my hand and the gun from separating very far. I was not comfortable with that at all. I did not try rapid fire, all shots were deliberate controlled shots. The quickest were maybe 2 seconds per shots, which by rifle or pistol standard is sloooow.

Running out of ammo, I realized I was happy that it's over. I told somebody that it was like riding a roller coaster without wear a seat belt. It was fun and scary at the same time. I sold the gun less than 24 hours later.

Maybe some of you weight lifting, big arms, huge hands type can handle this gun. BTW, I do not have any problem handling 12 gauge buckshots from an 870 with 20 inch barrel and conventional stock.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    /\ my experience is different than Sam - the Remington Tac-14 is very shootable from the eye level. I had back surgery late last year and found the high lift doable beginning at five months post-surgery. I found thirty rounds doable in a session, but I am fatigued. My personal sweet spot for understanding the platform was probably third or fourth session at 60-70 shells down range (I am about 200 shells in).

My experience is that the recoil impact is surprisingly lower at eye level than the waist level when using the push-pull method with my arms. The retention-level, forearms parallel to the ground shooting is fine; the accuracy is much better at eye level. When shooting retention level, I feel all Hollywood.

The Warrior Talk forum has a lot of discussion on this topic on smart recoil management and balancing accuracy/speed. That said, you need to sort through some of the opinion there that may not conform to your mindset.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast