Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P HST vs. standard HST

Feedback Score

+P HST vs. standard HST

Opinions on .45acp +P HST versus standard pressure 230 HST? Anyone with any street results?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both and used both at the range for practice. The +P have more recoil but that's all I have noticed. Accuracy was similar at ranges from 7-15 yards. I was using a Springfield XD45 with 4" barrel. i also looked at the lucky gunner gel tests and the +P's performed better but not so much better that I chose to carry the standard loading. The lower recoil allowed me to get more, better aimed shots on target faster.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Precisely this.

Shot to shot is considerably quicker with standard pressure, hit probability after first shot is higher and you are giving up about squat, comparing real world results to +P.
    Accuracy with either is very good.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Zero reason to use +P in a 230gr .45 round. It's just more recoil.

Feedback Score
    Essentially you will have 5" barrel standard pressure ballistics with the +P out of a shorter barrel. If you can deal with the added recoil (meaning hit your target) it is doable. If split times and such are your thing then use the standard pressure loading.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    Opinions on .45acp +P HST versus standard pressure 230 HST? Anyone with any street results?
    I'd be more interested in seeing objective lab results. Modern JHP are designed to penetrate and expand at specific velocities. Pushing a modern JHP designed to perform at standard velocities to +p can actually reduce it's terminal performance via expansion before it reaches its intended penetration depths. I don't know if that applies to HST per se, just something to be aware of, which is a different issue of recoil and control. etc. That's apples/apples in terms of barrel lengths, if using from a short barrel to end up with standard pressure velocities of a 5" barrel, another matter to consider.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-25-17 at 17:50.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just an FYI- awhile back I posted some chrono results using the +P HST load.
    Off the top of my head...it was 60fps slower out of my Glock 41 with a 5.31" barrel than advertised.
    Came in at 890-900fps, iirc. Still a it hotter than standard..just not as advertised.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'd be more interested in seeing objective lab results. Modern JHP are designed to penetrate and expand at specific velocities. Pushing a modern JHP designed to perform at standard velocities to +p can actually reduce it's terminal performance via expansion before it reaches its intended penetration depths. I don't know if that applies to HST per se, just something to be aware of, which is a different issue of recoil and control. etc. That's apples/apples in terms of barrel lengths, if using from a short barrel to end up with standard pressure velocities of a 5" barrel, another matter to consider.
    This is a great point to bring up. Personally, I run the standard pressure HSTs in 45. Back when I was researching between the two, and a few other loads, I recall finding data indicating the standard pressure performed more consistently than the +p. I'll do some digging to see if I can find some of the testing that I'd encountered.

Ultimately, the standard pressure performs very well, and very consistently, across the board. Expansion of the +p might be slightly better in some tests. But, at least for me, it's not markedly different enough to take on the added recoil.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me make a statement, and tell me where Im wrong...strictly speaking of the .45ACP cartridge...even if there is no expansion, you have a huge, heavy 230gr round hitting a target at +P velocity...so you still have a very capable defense round, correct?
    I currently carry a +P load in my G41...but am quite comfortable with standard pressure,btw.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Let me make a statement, and tell me where Im wrong...strictly speaking of the .45ACP cartridge...even if there is no expansion, you have a huge, heavy 230gr round hitting a target at +P velocity...so you still have a very capable defense round, correct?
    I currently carry a +P load in my G41...but am quite comfortable with standard pressure,btw.
    At face value, I don't find anything wrong with the above statement. Now, if the lack of expansion means the round passes through the target, the advantage of that little bit of added ft/lbs of energy is lost. Assuming the round dumps all of its energy into the target, then the difference of an expanded vs unexpanded round is somewhat negligible.

Again, my personal reason for choosing the standard HST has been consistency. At least in the tests I've found, the expansion of the standard pressure HSTs are more uniform. With the +p version, I've seen instances where the round didn't open up at all. In fact, the Lucky Gunner test referneced earlier has an example of that happening. In the image of the 5 recovered shots, one didn't open at all. I realize that could be due to other variables, but I can't think of any instances where the same happened with standard pressure. I'm sure examples of such exist. I've simply been satisfied enough with the standard pressure to not feel the slight increase in energy of the +p is worth the other side effects.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast