Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: +P HST vs. standard HST

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Let me make a statement, and tell me where Im wrong...strictly speaking of the .45ACP cartridge...even if there is no expansion, you have a huge, heavy 230gr round hitting a target at +P velocity...so you still have a very capable defense round, correct?
    I currently carry a +P load in my G41...but am quite comfortable with standard pressure,btw.
    But it may be in fact less capable than SP along with added recoil, so why bother? I'll take less recoil and improved terminal ballistics any day all day. Unless the projectile specifically designed for +p, you'll tend to get similar terminal ballistics with more recoil or even poorer terminal ballistics with more recoil.

Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the value of the +p unless I see testing on that specific bullet, and or using in specific circumstances, such as a short barrel to get SP velocity
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-28-17 at 09:04.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    At face value, I don't find anything wrong with the above statement. Now, if the lack of expansion means the round passes through the target, the advantage of that little bit of added ft/lbs of energy is lost. Assuming the round dumps all of its energy into the target, then the difference of an expanded vs unexpanded round is somewhat negligible.

Again, my personal reason for choosing the standard HST has been consistency. At least in the tests I've found, the expansion of the standard pressure HSTs are more uniform. With the +p version, I've seen instances where the round didn't open up at all. In fact, the Lucky Gunner test referneced earlier has an example of that happening. In the image of the 5 recovered shots, one didn't open at all. I realize that could be due to other variables, but I can't think of any instances where the same happened with standard pressure. I'm sure examples of such exist. I've simply been satisfied enough with the standard pressure to not feel the slight increase in energy of the +p is worth the other side effects.
    This hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'll add is the consistency isn't with ammo alone. I'm more consistent with the shot placement.
    Last edited by sucker76; 04-28-17 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But it may be in fact less capable than SP along with added recoil, so why bother? I'll take less recoil and improved terminal ballistics any day all day. Unless the projectile specifically designed for +p, you'll tend to get similar terminal ballistics with more recoil or even poorer terminal ballistics with more recoil.

Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the value of the +p unless I see testing on that specific bullet, and or using in specific circumstances, such as a short barrel to get SP velocity
    Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    This hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'll add is the consistency isn't with ammo alone. I'm more consistent with the shot placement.
    Excellent points..and well taken.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    Absolutely. I'd somewhat taken that point for granted and appreciate you calling it out. Number one is where one can place the shots. Assuming we can place them where intended, then we can drill down on consistency of performance being in line with our expectation of performance.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Appreciate all the replies. My thinking is pretty much that although the +P may be a bit more "powerful", standard is the way to go. It's not what you get hit with, it's where you get hit in my humble opinion. I am a firm subscriber to the old saying "The three most important components of stopping power are 1. Bullet placement; 2. Bullet placement; 3. Bullet placement".
    Thanks again guys....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12