I’m a civilian and I've never had any formal training by a professional. This is a brief observation report from a defensive carbine course I took this past weekend.

The course was a one day 9-hour outdoor defensive rifle class with 24 students. The class was geared towards students with AR’s or AK’s and a working knowledge of how to operate, load, unload basic marksmanship skills and have a sighted in rifle. The only other requirement was to have a current carry permit or affidavit from law enforcement confirming you are not a bad guy, or be a LEO and just have a willingness to learn.
The course started with a briefing by the instructor outlining an extremely thorough safety briefing as well as what to expect for the next 9 hours. The course objects were “to build a strong and efficient foundation regarding the proper use and manipulation of the Carbine as a defensive tool.” The training focused on:
• Shooting Techniques
• The Threat Engagement Process
• Carbine Manipulation
• Transitions to Handgun.

The class started by everyone confirming zero at 25 yards. Most students were pretty well dialed in. I think one student had rifle function issue quickly solved by the instructors. There were two assistant instructors and they divided the group into two groups of 12 students so the instructors were really close to the line helping the students during the exercises. The zero confirmation was also used to demonstrate aim point vs. target hit point at close target engagement. This was important as most all exercises and drills were from 5, 10 and 15 yards, the most likely target engagement distance in a defensive encounter.

I won’t go into all exercises but is suffices to say not a minute was wasted and the only down time was for mag reloads and lunch. Before every element the instructor did a thorough description of the technique and the safety issues during the training element. After each element there was debrief and a time for questions. What impressed me was how the instructor showed multiple ways to get the desired result. It wasn’t “my way or the highway” as long it was a safe concept. Every element we learned had optional techniques.

The students varied in preparation and equipment. Like any task involving equipment, some have the philosophy that if they look like an operator and have the best equipment money can buy, they will have an advantage. This was not the case. The guys with all the tactical hardware fully outfitted like they just came off a Delta Force chopper actually were running into issues functioning the drills with their weapon hanging up on their gear and shit falling off everywhere. As the class advanced through the day more and more equipment came off until most students were running just what they absolutely needed. The instructor was not critical of any student’s kit and showed great restraint. He just suggested working on running a slick set up and only add what you need incrementally for your mission.

The pace was prompt throughout the day to maximize instruction and a little bit of philosophy on defense and accountability in a world increasingly dangerous with popular culture becoming more anti-gun at the same time. Go figure. Overall the instruction was excellent and fun. Everyone including myself had a great time and everybody shared with the group what they took away from the day. My biggest takeaway was how different shooting targets from the bench at the range was to actual rapid weapon manipulation and target acquisition under even mild pressure (timer). The training was both mentally and physically exhausting after 9 hours. I now know how to maximize my future training time at the range and what I need to work on to improve. I will definitely continue training with professional instructors.

The training group I used was MDFI out of Michigan. https://trainmdfi.com/. They are highly recommended. “Trek”, the chief instructor and owner is a good dude. I think they teach in AZ also. I’m sure there are many qualified groups out there. Find a good one and learn something.
18118631_10155396498240815_5510663818045109901_n.jpg