Thread: Faxon Gunner 20" or 18" Barrel Accuracy?

Feedback Score

Faxon Gunner 20" or 18" Barrel Accuracy?

Hi everyone,

I am am planning on picking up a Faxon Gunner 20" barrel soon to complete an ultralight full-length build, and before I do, I want to hear first hand from folks who have these barrels (18 or 20 are probably of commensurate accuracy) what kind of accuracy they're seeing. From all the specifications I have read on these barrels (4150, target crown, nitride, MPI, stress-relieved, 1:8" twist, etc.), it would appear they have all the hallmarks of a superbly-accurate barrel, but I have yet to see firsthand reports on what kind of accuracy end users are actually getting.

if you have one of these barrels, I hope to hear what kind of groups you are getting.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have one and it seems quite accurate in my limited testing, more so than I'm used to with some typical higher quality (but not match) chrome-lined barrels. I'm not using match ammo or doing consecutive bench groups so it's not worthwhile providing any numbers.

It is also remarkably soft shooting. With a quasi-brake muzzle (ARP SSB) it has about the recoil of a .22 rimfire. Don't extrapolate this to all Faxon barrels though, I have a 16" midlength Gunner also and it has far more recoil and seems to be overgassed or at least close.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My 3gun rifle has a 18" Gunner. On a good day I've put 5 into 1.5" at a hundy using Wolf Gold 55 gr FMJ-BT, my preferred 3gun ammo. On a not so good day 2-2.25"

FaxonNathan Guest
    If you are not satisfied, I will make it right myself.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I picked up a 20 inch Gunner for a similar build. I have not finished the build or shot the rifle yet, but wanted to put a plug in for Aim Surplus. They sell the gunner barrels with a (very nice) pinned Faxon low profile gas block for a price that is competitive with a barrel only from other retailers. If the barrel shoots as nicely as it looks, I am going to be ecstatic!

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-29-17 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    If you are not satisfied, I will make it right myself.
    Who are you speaking to Nathan? If it's me, no worries, I'm more than satisfied with my Gunner.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Who are you speaking to Nathan? If it's me, no worries, I'm more than satisfied with my Gunner.
    Anyone and everyone.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I picked up a 20 inch Gunner for a similar build. I have not finished the build or shot the rifle yet, but wanted to put a plug in for Aim Surplus. They sell the gunner barrels with a (very nice) pinned Faxon low profile gas block for a price that is competitive with a barrel only from other retailers. If the barrel shoots as nicely as it looks, I am going to be ecstatic!

Andy
    I was not aware that a pinned gas block was an option with a Faxon barrel. That was my one objection for using their barrels for a build.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I was not aware that a pinned gas block was an option with a Faxon barrel.
    As far as I know, they are only available from Aim Surplus. From a quick Web search, Aim's price is $20 - $25 higher than most places sell the barrel (only) for.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-01-17 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I picked up a 20 inch Gunner for a similar build. I have not finished the build or shot the rifle yet, but wanted to put a plug in for Aim Surplus. They sell the gunner barrels with a (very nice) pinned Faxon low profile gas block for a price that is competitive with a barrel only from other retailers.
    Two comments:

1) Having a pinned gas block is great, more confidence-inspiring than just set screws. But...

2) I've put together two uppers with the AIM-sold Faxon barrel with pinned gas block, and have found them much more difficult to put together than other pinned gas blocks I've done, probably because of the very small pin size. Lots of wrestling and grumbling involved despite have the proper tools and experience. In comparison, AAC and BA barrels with factory pinned gas blocks, and four separate barrels that I did Geissele SGB's on myself, all pinned quite easily. All of those have big 3/16" diameter pins.

I'm glad AIM and Faxon offer this option, but I think the setup could be improved with a larger pin size and possibly other changes (maybe chamfering the exterior holes in the gas block?) to make installation easier.