Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure -vs- Heart Rate?

Feedback Score

Blood Pressure -vs- Heart Rate?

I know there are some guys here that have some medical knowledge. I pretty much have none.

My blood pressure has always been around 80/140. My heart rate has always been 80 to 90. Back in 2009 or 2010, I was having spinal injections and it went up to 200. I don't remember it, they gave me a secret potion in my IV and I was in lala land. Could only have half done that day. Every time I had them done after that she gave me Valium medicine pills before and all went well. However, she (my back Dr.) and my wife (a nurse) made me go to a heart Dr. He had me wear a box with wires hooked up to me for 2 or 3 days. He said everything looked ok....BUT if my heart rate gets that high again go to the hospital and they might have to put something in my groin up to my heart. That sounds like great fun!

Our family Dr. passed away a few years ago from Lou Gehrig's disease. He was awesome. Now we see a Dr. that worked with him in his office (trained him I think) they're same way as far as treatment go's. But with me getting older (be 43 in Dec.), he's getting more proactive with everything. He put me on a blood pressure medicine pill. Now it's like 70/120ish. They say that's better.

Here's the thing, when I'm in his office my heart rate go's to 120 or so. They put that thing on my finger that measures my air and heart rate. I tell him it's because every time I see him he finds something else wrong. He looks at me like I'm crazy. He said we might have to do something about my heart rate if it stays high. He didn't say what and I didn't ask. He told my wife to check it weekly. We do, it's in the 90's.

So I guess my question is does 70/120 blood pressure and a 90's heart rate seem ok? Should I be worried about my heart rate? What do they do to lower a heart rate? I don't smoke, don't do drugs and drunk about a case a beer a year if that. Yes I talk to my wife about this. She's like my Dr., they go into to much detail and get me all wound up. What I'm trying to say is they oversplain things and I'm lost.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    I know there are some guys here that have some medical knowledge. I pretty much have none.

My blood pressure has always been around 80/140. My heart rate has always been 80 to 90. Back in 2009 or 2010, I was having spinal injections and it went up to 200. I don't remember it, they gave me a secret potion in my IV and I was in lala land. Could only have half done that day. Every time I had them done after that she gave me Valium medicine pills before and all went well. However, she (my back Dr.) and my wife (a nurse) made me go to a heart Dr. He had me wear a box with wires hooked up to me for 2 or 3 days. He said everything looked ok....BUT if my heart rate gets that high again go to the hospital and they might have to put something in my groin up to my heart. That sounds like great fun!

Our family Dr. passed away a few years ago from Lou Gehrig's disease. He was awesome. Now we see a Dr. that worked with him in his office (trained him I think) they're same way as far as treatment go's. But with me getting older (be 43 in Dec.), he's getting more proactive with everything. He put me on a blood pressure medicine pill. Now it's like 70/120ish. They say that's better.

Here's the thing, when I'm in his office my heart rate go's to 120 or so. They put that thing on my finger that measures my air and heart rate. I tell him it's because every time I see him he finds something else wrong. He looks at me like I'm crazy. He said we might have to do something about my heart rate if it stays high. He didn't say what and I didn't ask. He told my wife to check it weekly. We do, it's in the 90's.

So I guess my question is does 70/120 blood pressure and a 90's heart rate seem ok? Should I be worried about my heart rate? What do they do to lower a heart rate? I don't smoke, don't do drugs and drunk about a case a beer a year if that. Yes I talk to my wife about this. She's like my Dr., they go into to much detail and get me all wound up. What I'm trying to say is they oversplain things and I'm lost.

Thanks, NYH1.
    120/70 BP is okay-ish. Mine usually hovers slightly over that, and I've been wanting to get it down for a long time without pharmaceutical assistance.

Resting heart rate in the 90s is probably not good. "Normal" for a relatively fit person is low to mid 60s. Untrained people are usually in the 70s.

I know mine would spike at doctor visits (90s to 100s), but would usually calm down during the visit. My normal resting rate, according to my tracker, is low to mid 60s.

What does your exercise/diet look like?
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 09-27-17 at 19:43. Reason: Fixing iPhone typos
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Per JNC-8 guidelines, a 43yo with a BP of 140/80 does not warrant anti-hypertensive medication. That being said, 120/70 is a better number. What meds does he have you on?

A HR of 90 is fine (reference range is 60-100bpm). High HR (e.g. 120) while visiting the doctor may be "white coat syndrome", i.e. your sympathetic nervous system is more active due to anxiety.

Did your doctor do an ECG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As folks have pointed out your BP isn't bad.

Not going to argue that a heart rate of 90 is not fine, I've just always looked at it this way: your heart is like a machine, someday it might wear out. If my heart is 'warranted' for 2,500,000,000 beats, I'll stay under warranty longer using only 65bpm at rest then I will at 75 or 80bpm.

So, do you do any aerobic exercise such as walking, biking, or jogging? It doesn't take running for hours to strengthen your heart. You can start walking w/o much input from your doctor, if you want to push anything, get with your doctor and get cleared for heavier exercise.

Another thing you might think about doing are relaxation exercises. Years ago I learned about autogenic relaxation techniques and have used some form of them for years. Google 'autogenic relaxation' and read about the techniques.

They worked for me.

Also, your relationship with your doctor should be one of coworkers in your health, not adversarial, he, or she, has your best interest at heart.

I don't think my doc and I are best buddies forever, but we talk back and forth, versus me listening to him make pronouncements. I've been going to him for right at 20 years, I changed doctors to go to him because I felt the other guy was too busy to listen to what I was concerned about and blew me off once too often.

You sound concerned, make your doctor acknowledge your concern, and talk about different courses of action.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-27-17 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    120/70 BP is okay-ish. Mine usually hovers slightly over that, and I've been wanting to get it down for a long time without pharmaceutical assistance.

Resting heart rate in the 90s is probably not good. "Normal" for a relatively fit person is low to mid 60s. Untrained people are usually in the 70s.

I know mine would spike at doctor visits (90s to 100s), but would usually calm down during the visit. My normal resting rate m, according to my tracker is low today mid 60s.

What does your exercise/diet look like?
    Having had back surgery that went sideways (2011) has made doing extra physical activity really hard. That being said, after years of taking hardcore pain medicine, yeah the ones you hear about on TV, in January I had enough and stopped. Now I'm in the same amount of pain....but actually feel better overall and I've been able to do more this past year then in years past. Can't wait to go hunting this year.

I'm 6 ft. 240 lbs., so yeah I need to lose weight. I've cut out most extra sugar and trying to do the same with carbs. Eating more fruits and vegetables. I'm a meat and potatos guy. Doc says potatos are carbs. which turns into sugar??

My blood pressure and heart rate have always been this way since I was in my teen years. If that make any difference.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Per JNC-8 guidelines, a 43yo with a BP of 140/80 does not warrant anti-hypertensive medication. That being said, 120/70 is a better number. What meds does he have you on?

A HR of 90 is fine (reference range is 60-100bpm). High HR (e.g. 120) while visiting the doctor may be "white coat syndrome", i.e. your sympathetic nervous system is more active due to anxiety.

Did your doctor do an ECG?
    EKG's all come back good.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As folks have pointed out your BP isn't bad.

Not going to argue that a heart rate of 90 is not fine, I've just always looked at it this way: your heart is like a machine, someday it might wear out. If my heart is 'warranted' for 2,500,000,000 beats, I'll stay under warranty longer using only 65bpm at rest then I will at 75 or 80bpm.
    My doc. mentioned the same thing. He just wants me to keep an eye on it.

Also, your relationship with your doctor should be one of coworkers in your health, not adversarial, he, or she, has your best interest at heart.

I don't think my doc and I are best buddies forever, but we talk back and forth, versus me listening to him make pronouncements. I've been going to him for right at 20 years, I changed doctors to go to him because I felt the other guy was too busy to listen to what I was concerned about and blew me off once too often.
    Yeah, he's a good guy. Just getting more proactive. I understand that.

You sound concerned, make your doctor acknowledge your concern, and talk about different courses of action.
    Sounds good.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Buy a blood pressure monitor and check your blood pressure a lot. Same time every day. Most of them will give you a heart rate, but I’d recommend a FitBit or Apple Watch...something that will display your heart rate all day. Yes, your obesity (medical diagnosis - your BMI is 33) is playing a role in the way your cardiovascular system works. I’d suggest that weight loss is Job One.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Doc says potatos are carbs. which turns into sugar??
    Triple whammy... per my cardiologist and GP. (Plus a couple of other docs)

1) excess blood sugar (from carbs) get converted to fat/triglycerides. The chlorestoral (sp?) you need to worry about is not ingested as fat/chlorestoral... It's metabolized from sugar. And then floats around in your blood stream looking for a place to land. Starches are almost sugar as they sit, and get converted to blood sugar with minimal energy effort by your body.

2) sugar is one of the few substances which will stick to artery walls. And it's corrosive to boot. So it clings and etches the walls, giving plaque something to get traction and stick to

3) high blood pressure creates microcracks in the walls (hardening/stretching) which accelerates/enables #2

The "low fat but with added carbs" diet promoted by many is turning out to be the source of many problems.

It's the carbs. We've been scammed!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speaking to your discomfort from your back, do you have a YMCA or community center with a pool? Water exercise classes eliminate some weight bearing and provide support.

I'd do more water aerobics but, my goodness, the women just wont leave me alone. Then the wife gets mad. Oh well, it is a burden I must bear.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast