Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Fat vs Low Card For Weight Loss

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Low Fat vs Low Card For Weight Loss

I read an awful lot of studies on nutrition, supplements, and so forth per my job, most not really worth noting here on BZ. Not that they are bad studies per se, but they don’t really tend to tell us anything we don’t already know or add much to the body of knowledge. Once in a while a study comes out that really deserves some discussion, and this is one of those. The most common criticisms of such nutritional studies are they don’t run long enough to really see the differences between diets, and or, they’re not large enough to see differences between groups. Other criticisms are a lack of focus on the quality of the foods ingested. These and other criticisms often result in people ignoring the findings of various studies that examine say one dietary approach vs another on end points such as weight loss.

One of the big debates in nutrition is a low carb vs low fat diet on weight loss. This recent study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA. 2018;319(7):667-679) had over 600 adults, attempted to focus on the quality of the food, and ran 12 months! The study also examined genotype pattern and insulin secretion. Frankly, I’m surprised this one has not gotten more attention than it did, but I suspect that’s due to the results, but I digress…

The mean macronutrient distributions in the healthy low fat was diet (HLF) vs the healthy low carb diet (HLC), respectively, were 48% vs 30% for carbohydrates, 29% vs 45% for fat, and 21% vs 23% for protein. So obviously not a keto diet per se, but still a substantial macro nutrient difference in F/C to parse out the differences. It’s also important to note the protein intakes were essentially the same. Another common criticism of nutritional studies is they often fail to match protein intakes between groups, then claim the effects were due to the differences in fat or carbs!

So what were the results? Pretty much what I had expected. When the source calories are healthy, isocaloric, and protein the same between groups, the effects are essentially the same. The HLF diet group lost 5.3 kg vs the HLC diet group that lost 6.0 kg, “…and there was no significant diet-genotype interaction or diet-insulin interaction with 12-month weight loss.”

Cont:

https://brinkzone.com/low-carb-vs-lo...r-weight-loss/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    That is what most people don't understand. 80% of weight loss is eating a healthy diet. 1 1/2 years ago I started a macro diet and lost 60 lbs in a year. Maintaining but still watching what I eat.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Simply put; garbage in = garbage out. Thanks for sharing Will. This does seem to be one of the longer (duration) studies I have seen.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    That is what most people don't understand. 80% of weight loss is eating a healthy diet. 1 1/2 years ago I started a macro diet and lost 60 lbs in a year. Maintaining but still watching what I eat.
    What is a "macro" diet?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Simply put; garbage in = garbage out. Thanks for sharing Will. This does seem to be one of the longer (duration) studies I have seen.
    A large well controlled study that runs a year, is a very expensive study, and that's not including all the secondary measures tested, etc. There's a lot to be gleaned from that study, but the answer not what many want to hear and or does not sell fad diets to people unwilling to take the essential simple steps needed to make the long term progress they want.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    My bad! A low fat diet!
    25% fat 40% protein 35% carbohydrates

https://healthyeater.com/counting-macros

Used my fitness pal to achieve it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    My bad! A low fat diet!
    25% fat 40% protein 35% carbohydrates

https://healthyeater.com/counting-macros

Used my fitness pal to achieve it.
    That's a good macro ratio, right in the ratio I tend to recommend for fat loss that's healthy and can be maintained long term.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Personally, I think it`s quite hard to give general advices to people. People are different. Aged people need special ways of losing waight, for example. I belive that diets must be ranged by ages

Feedback Score
    If you search macro calculator online it will take in your age and gender. I did not think that I would loose the weight. It even takes in your activity level from nothing to very active. If my calorie intake for the day is 2500 you don't eat 3000.

In the beginning it is hard and I wanted to quit. But after about one month it got easier. One of the problems I had was that I was not eating enough protein for the day. Then I had to cut down on my fat and started to replace things that were low fat.

There are to many diet fads that are either unhealthy or stupid. Keto is a good example of this. But society don't want to do the hard work. They want a pill that works over night.

On TV there are commercials for special meals that can be sent to you and you just eat what they give you. This is the same thing but you are being held responsible for and accountable if you don't lose the weight.

Everyone wants to complain how they don't have time or it is to have. That is BS there are things that have happened in my life in the last 2 years that it has made it hard. But I sucked it up and moved forward with it. I also am very happy with my results. All it takes is commitment.

Feedback Score
    I was 333lbs.
    BB75C96D-A053-4938-AFB6-5568F28F5DFD.jpg
    Not keto but low carb (about 100g a day) but I am 268lbs
    41804D2A-DC36-497F-B60D-E9C02AD2E324.jpg
    I have had zero exercise, and I eat until I full.
    Last edited by NoBodyImportant; 03-19-19 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Anyone interested in Keto I would encourage to look up Dr. Dom D’Agostino. He is a professor at the University of South Florida and does research on ketosis for the DOD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast