Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 pressure Gold Dots from a 14.5" barrel

Feedback Score
    I think the ability of these rounds to expand at .223 velocities (as opposed to 5.56 NATO speed) is in the same vein we are seeing with modern handgun ammunition, namely the HST line. i.e. you don't need screaming velocities to make bullets function anymore with modern bullet designs.

ETA: The "need for speed", even with well-designed bullets, is more important in rifle cartridges as it is in pistol ones. For handgun ammo you're not looking at the variations in distance like you could be with a rifle load. That translates to a higher muzzle velocity necessary to give the specific bullet more RANGE in which to function as designed. For a handgun you're looking at usually well inside 25 yards; for a rifle/carbine you're expanding that to 25-100-200-300-etc.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-29-17 at 21:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Let me just put it this way: The bullet on the left is the Hornady 70gr GMX. Hornady states that it has a BC of 0.350. The bullet on the right is the 75gr Gold Dot, which is listed as having a BC of 0.4.

Now, I'm no Bryan Litz, but...
    Ive had luck using a .373 G1 BC. No way that thing has a .400 BC. As for the 70gr GMX, that thing has trouble expanding...Id never use it.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-30-17 at 00:44.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive had luck using a .373 G1 BC. No way that thing has a .400 BC. As for the 70gr GMX, that thing has trouble expanding...Id never use it.
    I got 0.373 from speer ballistic center directly via phone. 0.4 is their LE catalogue listing.
    The gmx 70gr expands, shears the petals, and tumbles.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I got 0.373 from speer ballistic center directly via phone. 0.4 is their LE catalogue listing.
    The gmx 70gr expands, shears the petals, and tumbles.
    Its the exact same BC as the Hornady 75gr. Looking at the bullets side by side they were pretty similar so I just rolled with that.

I heard the 70gr GMX wasnt too good, but thats pretty bad. I heard because of its harder construction would often fail to expand. I guess not. I wonder why Black Hills used it instead of just making a civ version of brown tip.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Its the exact same BC as the Hornady 75gr. Looking at the bullets side by side they were pretty similar so I just rolled with that.

I heard the 70gr GMX wasnt too good, but thats pretty bad. I heard because of its harder construction would often fail to expand. I guess not. I wonder why Black Hills used it instead of just making a civ version of brown tip.
    There are reasons...this is all I can say, there.

The 55gr gmx works wonderfully, the 70, not so hot. More brittle than copper, long petals, tumbles, shears, etc. I was sad, myself.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There are reasons...this is all I can say, there.

The 55gr gmx works wonderfully, the 70, not so hot. More brittle than copper, long petals, tumbles, shears, etc. I was sad, myself.
    That's very strange. I just shot three 250+ (275, 258, 280) pound hogs using 70gr GMX from my suppressed SBR in late February and all three tracked dead true, with large, round exit holes. Two of which traversed the cartilage plate/shoulder blade. No sheered petals I could find, but all were through-and through.... Leaving excellent blood splatter. All hogs were DRT within three or four feet.

In what cases are you seeing the sheered petals/tumbling?

Attached is a pic of my buddy who borrowed my 70gr to use in his BCM 16" middy on a 209 pond hog:

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 05-04-17 at 17:56.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    That's very strange. I just shot three 250+ (275, 258, 280) pound hogs using 70gr GMX from my suppressed SBR in late February and all three tracked dead true, with large, round exit holes. Two of which traversed the cartilage plate/shoulder blade. No sheered petals I could find, but all were through-and through.... Leaving excellent blood splatter. All hogs were DRT within three or four feet.

In what cases are you seeing the sheered petals/tumbling?

Attached is a pic of my buddy who borrowed my 70gr to use in his BCM 16" middy on a 209 pond hog:

Water jugs at 25 and 100 yards, as well as posts online showing recovered bullets from hogs

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Water jugs at 25 and 100 yards, as well as posts online showing recovered bullets from hogs
    I assume they'll be in your post history here on M4?

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I assume they'll be in your post history here on M4?

Should be, but this was back when BH first loaded them, so it may be a bit of a search.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    400 yard ballistic regression is done. The 150gr .308 gdsp listed as 0.414 turned 0.322. This roughly 20% inflation is typical of what my source has seen in other caliber gold dots across the line...and flatteringly...0.32 is about what I regressed the 75gr to on a 100 yard range...

http://master.scout.com/military/sni...sing-bc-s-help

I'd put money on the 75gr gdsp being an honest 0.32g1, or close to it.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-08-17 at 00:58.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast