Thread: 16" SPR Build

Feedback Score

16" SPR Build

This was my first "precision" gun and I think it turned out pretty well. Parts list:

Lower:
    - PSA Stripped Blem
    - PSA LPK
    - Geissele SSA-E
    - KAC Trigger Guard
    - Spike's BT
    - PWS H2 Buffer
    - B5 SOPMOD
    - Magpul MIAD

Upper:
    - Spike's Upper
    - 16" Rainier Arms Rock Creek SS Barrel
    - 13" Geissele Mk4
    - PSA Premium BCG
    - Dead Air Armament Keymount FH
    - RA Raptor CH

Accessories:
    - Geissele 30mm Hyper Extended Scope Mount
    - Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 w/MIL-R Reticle
    - Harris BP on ADM QD Mount
    - Silencerco Hybrid w/ a DAA KeyMo Module

I've only had the gun out to the range once. Had a small selection of some factory match loads (Norma 77gr and FGMM 69gr). Zeroed with the Norma and was able to fire off two ten round groups before I figured out I had not torqued the suppressor mount enough (even though I used Rocksett) and the suppressor + mount was spinning off the gun, woops! Anyways that was the end of shooting that gun for the day. I've since picked up about 10 different factory match loads to shoot for groups.

Here's a pic of the best group that I was able to shoot. 69gr FGMM was the better of the two I had available. This was shot off the bi-pod with no rear bag, so I'm sure I'll be able to tighten the groups up quite a bit once I'm able to get the gun a little more stable (these were also fired when I had an SSA in the gun, which has since been replaced by the SSA-E).

Last edited by RJeff21; 04-27-17 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That's a very nice looking 10 shot group! What was your inspiration for how you built the SPR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    That's a very nice looking 10 shot group! What was your inspiration for how you built the SPR?
    Nothing very specific as far as inspiration goes. I like the functionality that the "Recce" concept seems to provide (compact but still capable of precision work), so I guess it might be closest to that. I really just wanted something that I could shoot from the bench for small(ish) groups (so one of my requirements was sub-MOA capable) as well as take out hunting occasionally with the suppressor attached (hence the 16" barrel).

The original idea was to use this as a stepping stone into the precision world so I could learn some of the basics. So far I've shot it at 100 and 200 yards, but I'll eventually be taking it out to 600 on steel silhouettes.

Next up is a 6.5G precision build and then eventually a 6.5CM or .308 bolt gun. If I'm being honest, I like the build nearly as much as I like shooting, so it seems like I'm always in the middle of putting something together.
    Last edited by RJeff21; 04-27-17 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    Looks great! Beware, it might lead to reloading your own 77 gr ammo.

Feedback Score
    That's a great looking gun. I built something similar with the 16" barrel. I wanted a shorter more accurate gun as well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice build.

Can you share a little about the paint job?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle. I've been interested in that barrel for another build.

I've got a BCM SS 16" built for similar purposes, with an older DD Light Rail (full quad) and a scope. I run the Geissele SSA-E also. I've been getting tighter groups than you showed with 77gr CBC. This surprises me a bit since the BCM barrel is simple button rifling. I would have expected more from the barrel you have. However, I'm not running a suppressor which I suspect is why you are getting a spread. Just MHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Nice build.

Can you share a little about the paint job?
    Sure. Paint job is a base layer of Krylon Camo tan, alternating splotches/stripes of Krylon Camo green, and lastly I draped some mesh netting from a laundry bag over the gun and hit some spots with Aervoe Coyote.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Nice looking rifle. I've been interested in that barrel for another build.

I've got a BCM SS 16" built for similar purposes, with an older DD Light Rail (full quad) and a scope. I run the Geissele SSA-E also. I've been getting tighter groups than you showed with 77gr CBC. This surprises me a bit since the BCM barrel is simple button rifling. I would have expected more from the barrel you have. However, I'm not running a suppressor which I suspect is why you are getting a spread. Just MHO.
    I suspect the barrel is capable of quite a bit more than you see right now due to a couple factors. These being:

- I'm new to bench shooting/group shooting and couldn't get the gun perfectly steady without a rear bag. I've since picked up a front and rear bag which should help me in this department.
    - I was only able to try two different factory loads. I suspect it may like one of the other 10 I picked up better.
    - I discovered the muzzle device was loose after firing 2 ten round groups. I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but my guess is that a loose muzzle device with 16oz+ of suppressor mounted to it can't help with precision.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get back out to the range in a couple weeks and give it another go.