Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on a low end Spotter scope for range use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Trying to decide on a low end Spotter scope for range use.

I'm looking for suggestions on a low end spotter scope for use at the range, 50-100 yards maybe 200yds. I know the quality won't be there like the more expensive scopes but I have three that I would like feedback on. I prefer the straight style over the angled, just from limited experience of what I've seen and tried at the range from friends. I ordered a Konus 20x-60x80mm because of the good reviews and price range but it arrived already broke so it was returned.
    Anyone have any positive experience with any of the scopes I have listed below?

1) Redfield Rampage 20-60x60mm strait, It's priced around $193. Has good reviews and is priced around what I want to spend for the little bit of use that it will get.

2) Vortex Optics Diamondback 20-60x60 strait, priced at $400. Good reviews and a better known name brand, twice the price for what I feel is still a low end optic.

3) Leupold SX-1 Ventana 2 20-60x80mm strait, priced at $427. Okay reviews, solid name brand. I feel from the reviews buyers were expecting much more because of the name even though it was priced pretty low compared to the rest of the Leupold products.

The issue with most of the reviews on optics planet or amazon is that they are initial out of the box reviews and not from after multiple times at the range.

I'm not wanting to spend $500 or more, would rather use that money towards anything else. But having gone to zero a couple of my new optics last weekend the range had a loaner 45 power bushnell that I used. It was okay and made it so I didn't have to go down range and check my groups, but it was a little blurry.

Just looking to clear up the image a little better.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have the Redfield Rampage. I got it to use for shooting JCG Matches and general use zeroing rifles etc. It works for that. Unfortunately I have no experience with other spotting scopes to compare it to but I don't find it particularly impressive. I didn't expect that for the price though. If you're only using to 200 yards it should be fine.
    Last edited by dmd08; 04-28-17 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You can get pretty good 10x40 binoculars for $200-300. Those plus shoot-n-see targets will (probably) let you see hits at the distances you're talking about, and not be as frustrating.

My experience with low to mid quality optics for spotting at the range is that they work under ideal lighting conditions and not when the target is shaded and there's glare, etc. Something like shoot-n-see targets helps deal with this regardless of optical quality.

Slightly above your price range, the Sightron SII Blue Sky 20-60x85mm can be found in the $500 range and has much better glass than I would expect for the $200 spotting scopes - as it should for the price. Unfortunately it's made in China, but apart from the sticker you can't tell. The somewhat aging Bushnell Elite 14-45x60mm straight spotter is another good scope in the $300-400 range, and is made in Japan. That would probably be your top choice actually, and if you watch ebay you can probably find one close to $300. Bushnell has a lifetime warranty on their Elite models and Sightron has one on all products. I previously owned both of those models and was quite happy with them. I sold those only because I got can't-miss deals on higher quality scopes for the same uses.

Whatever you do, don't look through a Kowa spotting scope or anything else with fluorite lenses.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the vein of what Someotherguy posted, I carry a pair of 8x30 Steiner Predators to the range when I go. Nice compact package. If the sun is bright I can see my groups on white paper at 100 yards with 5.56. Now granted, they are pretty nice Binocs but the point is decent glass does make the difference.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    So I own both Redfield and Vortex optics, lots of Vortex actually. I assume that you are aware that Leupold and Redfield are the same company now. Leupold bought Redfield out some years ago. For you that the Leupold warranty covers Redfield, i.e. a very good warranty. That said the Vortex warranty is becoming legendary. I just sent a set of binos back after beating on them through the brush for months when the clip to attach the strap to the bino broke. Long story short they sent me a new pair of binos. I have Vortex scopes on all of my rifles that have scopes. Not just because of the warranty but because the quality of the glass is excellent and it does very well head to head with other scopes in its class designed for the same intended use. Once we are in all things being equal situation in an eval the warranty then kicks me over the fence into the Vortex camp. People at the range have looked through my Redfield Rampage spotting scope and remarked on the clarity. No matter which Vortex optic rides on my rifles all of my friends comment on the quality of the glass. I would try both scopes out at an LGS or a big box store nearby and see which fits your needs best. Good luck.
    Last edited by City Rat; 04-28-17 at 23:10. Reason: fat finger

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's another option: I bought a Celestron Ultima 100mm scope awhile ago for $229 for the same reason and am thrilled with it. Full review is here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409287

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Here's another option: I bought a Celestron Ultima 100mm scope awhile ago for $229 for the same reason and am thrilled with it. Full review is here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409287
    The price is over $300 now, I looked at these in the 80 size. They looked too much like the Konus I just sent back so I was trying for better name brands this time.
    Last edited by hdrolling; 04-29-17 at 17:50.
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can sell you a used Unertl 20X w/ mount for $300

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A few years ago I got frustrated using the big telescope spotting scope I bought for the kids. I didn't want to spend too much so I just picked up a Ventana for 350 I think. Anyway, it is fine for 200 yards with shoot n see. I guess eventually I'll spring for a good scope, it's just that I'd rather spend on good glass for my rifles.

You don't really have to have a spotting scope for shooting steel with a carbine, so I will put it off until I need a good spotting scope for precision shooting. Unless I find a good used one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post

Slightly above your price range, the Sightron SII Blue Sky 20-60x85mm can be found in the $500 range
    Intrigued by this optic, care to share where you can find it in the $500 range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast