Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to decide on a low end Spotter scope for range use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been digging in my couch pillows and think it would be worth it to spend a little more seeing that I found A little extra change.

I think I'm going to stick with Vortex, but maybe the little higher end glasses.

Anyone have any reviews of the Viper HD or Razer HD spotter scopes? They have great reviews and the warranty looks to be among the best. I'm not sure the razor 11-33x50 is going to be powerful enough and in the same price range is the Viper 15-45 x 65. I might even think about jumping up to the razer 16-48x65 or the viper 20-60x80 that are both close to the same price range.

Is the Razer that much better than the Viper HD?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    Intrigued by this optic, care to share where you can find it in the $500 range?
    Well I recently sold a used one for $449.... other than that, check out the usual suspects like OpticsPlanet and wait for a coupon (OP has 10% off every couple weeks), or put it in your Amazon cart and wait until their airline-pricing price swings are in your favor. I haven't priced one in a while so I don't know exactly what they go for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    I've been digging in my couch pillows and think it would be worth it to spend a little more seeing that I found A little extra change.
    I think I'm going to stick with Vortex, but maybe the little higher end glasses.
    Anyone have any reviews of the Viper HD or Razer HD spotter scopes? They have great reviews and the warranty looks to be among the best. I'm not sure the razor 11-33x50 is going to be powerful enough and in the same price range is the Viper 15-45 x 65. I might even think about jumping up to the razer 16-48x65 or the viper 20-60x80 that are both close to the same price range.
    Is the Razer that much better than the Viper HD?
    A good spotting scope is a lifetime investment, so if you can afford it, buy quality once and stop there.

I haven't used the Viper but bought the 16-48x65mm Razor gen1 spotting scope when it was on closeout, and that's why I sold the Sightron. The Razor seems to be 98-99% as good as the Kowa spotting scopes I've used. The good Kowas cost $2500+ with the eyepiece, and I got my Razor for closer to $1000. A lot of money, but you won't feel the need for higher quality later, and Vortex has one of the best warranties if something fails.

I'm sure the Viper is a decent scope, but at least in their rifle scopes the Razor optics are 1-2 full steps up above the Viper optics, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's also true in the spotting scope.

FWIW, the Razor 11-33x50mm looks like a nice little spotter and gets great reviews as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post

FWIW, the Razor 11-33x50mm looks like a nice little spotter and gets great reviews as well.
    Thanks for the reply, this is the scope I decided to buy based on reviews warranty and size. For what I'm using it for this scope sounds like it will be okay, and I was able to get a decent bipod to go with it and stayed under my revised budget. It should be here Fri so I'll know then, and luckily I enjoy ramen noodles since I can't stay on budget!
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Excellent. Post a review once you've spent some time with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well my Razer HD spotter scope was delivered tonight with the Vortex Summit ST-3 XLT Tripod I ordered as well. I should be able to get to the range this weekend, but for now my initial thoughts are that I made the right purchase.

The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Straight Spotting Scope is super light and compact, the tripod is twice as heavy and very sturdy!The tripod head attaches to the scope so you can QD the scope on and off real quick and easily.

I did set everything up on my deck to check out the moon, at max setting you can focus to make the picture very clear and sharp. Now as long as I can see holes in paper at 100 I'll be happy. With the compact size I definitely can see this setup going camping with me and family this summer.

The straight design isn't the easiest to view directly upward on the tripod at the moon like I'm guessing the angles would have been. But in the prone I'm sure it will work just as I imaged it will.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took a few pics and played around some more this morning.

Here is the mount adapter installed on the bottom of the Razer, the adapter just sets in and a spring loaded handle automatically locks the scope onto the bipod.

Here is the Bipod, very configurable. Each leg has four sections for length, and the legs have three setting for how wide they can spread out to help stability. I'm not sure if all of this is common for most tripods?

Here is the cover for the Razer, it's quick enough just to remove it but I guess if your bipod didn't have a quick detach you might want to leave it on. The cover unzips in the front and back and has Velcro to hold the flaps open, also a zipper on bottom.

Not much of a review on the razer yet but I'll get some shots this weekend at the range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just to update:

Spent the day at the range, this scope is all you need for shooting paper! Our range only goes to 200yds but I was able to clearly see my shots in paper and the splatter type stick on targets.

I didn't get any pics from the 200 but here are some crappy phone pics at the 100yd, I did order a digiscope adapter so next time I'll be able to just set my phone on there and see everything without having to look into the scope. (I know my shot group is shotgun style but all I had was 55gr wolf ammo, shot with DDM4V11PRO w/ Harris bipod)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12