Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California raises fuel tax from .28 to .40 cents a gallon.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

California raises fuel tax from .28 to .40 cents a gallon.

That's right. Jerry Brown has signed a bill into law that would raise the tax on fuel an additional .12 cents per gallon from the current .28 cents per gallon of fuel. That is .40 cents per gallon. California is already about .80 cents higher per gallon then the national average. California raised the tax to help rebuild the roads and bridges that have been neglected for decades. The ultra liberal law makers in California said that this raise in taxes will only set back residents a modest $10 a month and will most likely go unnoticed. The US Department of Transportation has the average gas prices for California listed at $2.88/gallon for regular unleaded whereas in Texas, the average gas price is $2.19 a gallon for regular unleaded but with Californias new tax law, the price per gallon in California would rise from $2.88 to $3.28 a gallon. $3.28 a gallon when the national average is $2.20 a gallon. But it doesn't stop there. California is also adding a $29 service fee to the $46 dollar vehicle registration/renewal fee as well as a $100 annual registration fee to electric powered cars.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...-business.html

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I think your math is off.

Feedback Score
    Here in Washington we are about .50 plus the federal.

Last I saw we were 2nd highest state. That might have changed by now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=elephant;2486570]California raised the tax to help rebuild the roads and bridges that have been neglected for decades. /QUOTE]

Not defending Brown, he's a lune.

Infrastructure (roads and bridges) is often neglected to the point where it becomes a crisis. That story is not limited to Kali, many states are facing it. One of the reasons Trump campaigned on creating jobs by rebuilding the infrastructure.

Your math is wrong, a .12 increase to the average of 2.88 is 3.00, not 3.28. Aside from that, increasing the gas tax is a user tax - people who drive a lot (and make more use of the roads) will pay more than people who walk. Everyone will be impacted to some degree, there will be a slight increase in transportation cost of goods which will be passed on to the consumer. Once again, though. based on consumption.

It sucks but in a mostly fair way.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-29-17 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's not fair in that they always say that the money collected from the gas tax is going to go to the road repairs but it never does, it goes into the general fund and then is used for stuff like pensions. Brown claims this new round of taxes will actually go to the roads but you damn well know that those bastards in Sac will grab it for everything else as soon as they can. They collect enough money as it is to maintain the roads, they just have to actually spend it properly in the first place. Not to mention that there is a section in that bill that sets aside millions each year to go to programs to make people want to drive less. Don't get me started on the train to nowhere nonsense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    NJ gasoline sales tax went up by .28 last year. Just sayin'
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Governments job is to pay for government.

Pot holes are a proletariat's problem

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Governments job is to pay for government.

Pot holes are a proletariat's problem
    YOU DIDN'T BUILD YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, we got F'd again by the looney tune left to pay for public transportation and Jerry's Crazy Train. We'll never see new or wider roads, only upgrades to interchanges and more public transportation spending. Commiefornia is completely out of control

I live in the East Bay (Danville, CA) our gas starts at $3.09 or more and has not been much lower than that for years anyway.

The extra gas tax doesn't impact me much, but what bugs me is the waste and misuse and the much more costly special mix of gas we use which reduces fuel economy especially when using the summer mix.

I can hardly wait to get out of this state. CA has a history of misusing transportation tax monies.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-29-17 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    It's not fair in that they always say that the money collected from the gas tax is going to go to the road repairs but it never does, it goes into the general fund and then is used for stuff like pensions. Brown claims this new round of taxes will actually go to the roads but you damn well know that those bastards in Sac will grab it for everything else as soon as they can. They collect enough money as it is to maintain the roads, they just have to actually spend it properly in the first place. Not to mention that there is a section in that bill that sets aside millions each year to go to programs to make people want to drive less. Don't get me started on the train to nowhere nonsense.
    Freak I would welcome that freaking hippie lune Jerry Brown. I imagine that most folks reading this would probably be fans of Sam Brownback's 'Great Kansas Experiment' in supply-side economics.
    Well, let me tell you from ground level it ain't working for shit. And the freaking morons reelected him, just barely, but he still got reelected.

As a result, the makeup of the Kansas Legislature changed dramatically in the last election, most of his minions got swept out and replaced with moderates (another bad word on this forum) and they still cant get anything done. Even though the Legislature is overwhelmingly moderate GOP, even with the partnership of our few and far between Dems, they can't muster the votes to override his most asinine vetoes.

He keeps taking money from the transportation budget, and the state pension fund to make up budget shortfalls. He and his loyalists made approximately 300,000 Kansans completely exempt from state income taxes.

Our population is around 2.9 million. Since around 700,000 Kansans are below the age of 18, that means that those rocket scientists gave a minimum 14% of the taxpaying base a cut cut. No I said that wrong, he completely eliminated their taxes.

Because, you know, if 'Jerry' who runs Jerry's Lawncare doesn't have to pay income taxes, he'll run out and hire another guy to help him mow. Yeah, right, 'Jerry' just stops at the liquor store and buys more booze.

Fvcking idiots. (I mean Sam and his cronies, not Jerry, he's trying to make a living)

I wish Trump would hurry up and make him the Ambassador to the Vatican. Please.....
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-29-17 at 16:12.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast