Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation for a semi-lightweight 18" precision barrel

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    This is logical and reasonable. However, the shortcut to addressing this is seeing whether X company's nitride barrel shoots well, ideally by reading reviews from earlier purchasers. It seems to be quite possible for a company to make a quality nitride barrel with a sufficiently smooth bore that many people report very good* accuracy with several brands, including AR15 Performance and Faxon.

*I don't say "match" because that doesn't really mean much. If your skills and ammo choice allow sub-MOA accuracy you have multiple factors to consider in maintaining or improving that, and you're probably looking at well made expensive barrels anyway. There are certainly sub-$200 " 'match' " barrels in the market, but probably not so many sub-$200, sub-MOA barrels.

From reading on this topic it seems that just a few live shots in a barrel will cause microcracking in the throat, and nitride treatment after that has occurred is probably a bad idea. Better sticking with makers that fully polish the bore during manufacture.

Also, I have not read of any company that is able to nitride a barrel + barrel extension unit without causing torque issues. Most companies drill the gas port after nitriding. I have an AAC 300BLK barrel that appears to have nitride treatment on the gas port (meaning it was drilled before nitriding) but I'm not certain, and it also has an unusual looking barrel extension with a possible seam running around the circumference of the largest diameter part.

I imagine it would be possible to machine the barrel and extension area from a single piece of metal to avoid this issue, presumably at much greater cost than separate machining.
    Maybe Mr. Nathan of Faxon can tell us if nitriding a barrel after breaking it in is a good idea. I'm sure there are ways to prevent the loosening of the barrel extension or just removing it entirely then repinning it. It probably isn't cheap.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Stupid phone.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-11-17 at 06:17.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Maybe Mr. Nathan of Faxon can tell us if nitriding a barrel after breaking it in is a good idea. I'm sure there are ways to prevent the loosening of the barrel extension or just removing it entirely then repinning it. It probably isn't cheap.
    The issue with this is after meloniting the barrel assembly corrosion exists in the extension threads. The extension can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled but is difficult to realign the extension index pin with the gas port. This is why if done properly the gas port drilling is done last. That came directly from ARP.

OP:
    I'd recommend either a quality nitrided barrel or a WOA. I had my WOA barrel bead blasted with a black Ionbond finish added by Club Custom Guns.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-11-17 at 06:47.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    The issue with this is after meloniting the barrel assembly corrosion exists in the extension threads. The extension can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled but is difficult to realign the extension index pin with the gas port. This is why if done properly the gas port drilling is done last. That came directly from ARP.

OP:
    I'd recommend either a quality nitrided barrel or a WOA. I had my WOA barrel bead blasted with a black Ionbond finish added by Club Custom Guns.
    Waylander pretty much covered it. We've tried pulling off extensions, but getting them to re-align with the right torque value is near impossible without re-machining either component post nitride - which defeats the purpose.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm surprised White Oak Armament isn't getting more mention.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    I'm surprised White Oak Armament isn't getting more mention.
    Great barrels, but not particularly light.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Waylander pretty much covered it. We've tried pulling off extensions, but getting them to re-align with the right torque value is near impossible without re-machining either component post nitride - which defeats the purpose.
    It's good to know you guys do the process right, Nathan.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for checking out the info on the semi light weight groups we did. I don't like to throw out suggestions because there are so many good choices but you seem to be on the path to success. Faxon barrels have come highly recommended and people who I trust that don't inflate claims have reported great consistency over several thousand rounds. I see the criterion hybrid in 18 inches is mentioned too which also seems to be more than capable.

I think the tough thing about setting criteria for a purchase like this is figuring what items are most important to you. Lightweight and long range rarely fit together all that well unless you add a healthy budget. As a general purpose 18 inch spr most barrels weight differences will be almost unnoticed. Often times I find it is even worth adding weight to the front or back of the rifle to make it point easier. In the end pick one of the barrels you like get the gun together and test loads that you think fill the purposes you want.

We added fiocchi 50 grain vmax last night will have a few other 50 grain and 52 grain offerings shown out of the larue predatar and BA hanson profile soonish. http://www.scienceofthegun.com/?p=330

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123