Thread: Increasing flexibility tips

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Increasing flexibility tips

Any good stretches to do that would do a good job of increasing the body's overall flexibility? Looking for a daily routine or something of that nature. I would like to increase the flexibility in my hips and legs in particular.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    I know this well. I was once quick & nimble, but as I progress into my mid 50s, yeah, not so much. I'll let other's chime in with specifics, but my thing is that I do some stretching BEFORE getting out of bed and immediately after. This helps me a lot so don't experience tightness as I go about my day. Also do some hamstring stretches at my desk at work cause sitting on our butts all day is considered the "new smoking"
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Couch stretch has helped me with tight hips and lower back pain.

Feedback Score
    This. Kelly has a lot of good information out there and a lot of videos on youtube as well. He definitely talks fast but he seems to know his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The above mentioned book is excellent. Remember, always warm up before stretching.

The signaling mechanism is great facilitated by warming the tissue at the cellular level. When muscles contract (possibly due to the stretch reflex), they produce tension at the point where the muscle is connected to the tendon, where the golgi tendon organ is located. The golgi tendon organ records the change in tension, and the rate of change of the tension, and sends signals to the spine to convey this information. When this tension exceeds a certain threshold, it triggers the lengthening reaction which inhibits the muscles from contracting and causes them to relax. Other names for this reflex are the inverse myotatic reflex, autogenic inhibition, and the clasped-knife reflex. This basic function of the golgi tendon organ helps to protect the muscles, tendons, and ligaments from injury. When you are cold it quickly goes into protection mode and can actually shorten tendon. The lengthening reaction is possible only because the signaling of golgi tendon organ to the spinal cord is powerful enough to overcome the signaling of the muscle spindles telling the muscle to contract.
    Last edited by FlyingHunter; 05-03-17 at 20:31.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Also, as boring as they are to listen to, the romwod videos are pretty good at giving you a fairly lengthy stretching session. I think they may have some videos floating around on YouTube but I know for sure they have a subscription service and a free trial.

Feedback Score
    are my body is very stiff and i find this very interesting, i hardly make a move without hearing cracking sound, if i can stretch my wasit and back, that would be nice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Warm up and then stretch. I personally perform strenches for 30-40 seconds with 3 to 4 sets per stretch. Increasing flexibility won't come quickly or easily...it's going to hurt no way around it. Embrace the suck. Maintaining flexibility is huge as you age.