Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Legit HIIT?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Got Legit HIIT?

My latest thoughts on HIIT for those interested in the topic

For something so seemingly simple, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) causes far more confusion than it should in my view. Yet, we still see people out there who apparently don’t fully understand what HIIT entails and often confuse basic interval training for HIIT or HIIT for SIT! HIIT is a form of interval training but not all interval training is HIIT, and I’ll get to SIT in moment.

I suspect some of the confusion stems from the variations of HIIT and its evolution over time with different approaches and changes in terminology. For myself, back in the day, what I would have considered interval training would now be considered HIIT and what I considered HIIT would now be referred to as “sprint interval training” or SIT. Hell, even this introduction probably confused a few readers!

I will do my best to clarify it all and link to an excellent review paper at the end of this article that puts it to rest and fully covers physiological adaptations of HIT, SIT and moderate-intensity continuous training (MICT), gives recs on frequency/duration, etc. of each, covers the benefits of each, and so forth.The problem with scientists, especially for non-scientists, is science loves its terminology and acronyms and they love to either change them or create new ones just to mess with people. OK, that last part is not true, but for some, it feels that way I know. For example, MCIT is essentially the same, or at least very similar, to what most people already know as steady state low intensity (LISS) work, but one could argue moderate not identical to low intensity per se. No one splits the proverbial hair like scientists, but I digress. Don’t sweat it or over think it here.

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/got-the-legit-hiit/
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-09-17 at 09:01.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    SIT is what I do. Balls out on a rower for 1 min, rest 1 min, repeat x10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is what I do. 30s intervals sometimes.

Official Kremlin Transmission

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A true "sprint" is going to be in the 20-30 second range and if you were hooked up to something that measured output, Wingate test, etc, you'd see max effort drops sharply after 30 as the ATP/PCR system is depleted. Obviously you're benefiting from what you're doing, but sorta doing something between SIT and HIIT. Note 100m track athletes see performance already dropping close to finish line for example. I have not read all SIT studies but all I have used 30s as max time, some with 4 minutes between sprints! I have not tried those longer rest times myself but do need up to 2 mins between sprints towards the end to have the ability to give 100% to the next sprint.

But, within obvious reason, nothing wrong with using different SIT/HIIT patterns to get different effects and keep it interesting, so drive on.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    A true "sprint" is going to be in the 20-30 second range and if you were hooked up to something that measured output, Wingate test, etc, you'd see max effort drops sharply after 30 as the ATP/PCR system is depleted. Obviously you're benefiting from what you're doing, but sorta doing something between SIT and HIIT. Note 100m track athletes see performance already dropping close to finish line for example. I have not read all SIT studies but all I have used 30s as max time, some with 4 minutes between sprints! I have not tried those longer rest times myself but do need up to 2 mins between sprints towards the end to have the ability to give 100% to the next sprint.

But, within obvious reason, nothing wrong with using different SIT/HIIT patterns to get different effects and keep it interesting, so drive on.
    I can do 1 minute all out. Max. I go by watts, meters second, etc.

...but after 1 to 2 minute long cycles , you're right, I see drops at 50s, then 40s, and at 30s is where I begin to note decline and level off after round 4 or 5.

Would I be better served to do 20x 30s? I want to be lean and improve v02 max. This, and lifting (wendler 5 3 1, with some accessory workouts as well like curls and shoulders, etc), and diet are how I want to achieve it.

Feedback Score
    I thought I was doing HITT when I was actually doing SIT!
    I've learned quite a bit from all your posts.... Thank you.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can do 1 minute all out. Max. I go by watts, meters second, etc.
    Then you may want to set the resistance/difficulty to what you can maintain a true max effort of 20-30 seconds to do SIT

...but after 1 to 2 minute long cycles , you're right, I see drops at 50s, then 40s, and at 30s is where I begin to note decline and level off after round 4 or 5.

Would I be better served to do 20x 30s? I want to be lean and improve v02 max. This, and lifting (wendler 5 3 1, with some accessory workouts as well like curls and shoulders, etc), and diet are how I want to achieve it.
    As SIT/HIIT metabolically demanding on recoup, I wouldn't combine with a program that's focus is increased strength such as 5,3,1. vs body comp changes. I'd do LISS with that program. Covered also a bit in article.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    When I was younger My HIT intervals would be 30 on, 30 off, for a total of 5 intervals. I can't maintain that now as I am older. Should I do longer intervals, have longer rest, or both?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    When I was younger My HIT intervals would be 30 on, 30 off, for a total of 5 intervals. I can't maintain that now as I am older. Should I do longer intervals, have longer rest, or both?
    Per above and paper, both. High cycles at 80-90% of MHR, low phase at 50% or below, repeat. You can play with times and cycles but those are the guidelines of HIIT vs SIT. There's no specific formula for HIIT, just guidelines per above and depends on one's level of cardiovascular development, etc. SIT is more specific it seems.

Try warm up 5 mins

1-2 mins at 80-90% of MHR

1-2 minutes low intensity

Repeat for # number of cycles (say 8-12 and asses)

Cool down 5 mins

Using something non impactive like a stationary bike or stair stepper kinda deal
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-10-17 at 12:23.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Then you may want to set the resistance/difficulty to what you can maintain a true max effort of 20-30 seconds to do SIT

As SIT/HIIT metabolically demanding on recoup, I wouldn't combine with a program that's focus is increased strength such as 5,3,1. vs body comp changes. I'd do LISS with that program. Covered also a bit in article.
    I've seen LISS being linked to loss of muscle mass much moreso than SIT/HIIT. Yet you say it's not. I feel like I am falling into the trap that my very first trainer told me about "Listening to everybody".

I'm going to stick with SIT/HIIT for a few months, and see what happens. I was doing LISS (running 5 miles, when I say running, I mean jogging sedately). I was seeing a halt in my lifts increasing. They did not drop, but they did stop improving that month that I made it up to 5mi/day. Started doing SIT/HIIT, and I am seeing increases in my lifts, again. I judge things on my OHP, mainly. Maybe this is stupid, but it's the most cheat-free lift I can think of. If you aren't doing a push-press or anything, there is NO WAY to cheat that lift with "special technique", and I video all my max attempts, so I'll spot a "cheat". Deadlifts are the same, but potential for injury is higher (in MY opinion) doing a heavy DL vs. a heavy OHP, simply due to the weights and movements involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast