Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Sako bolt rifle. Worth the Coin?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

Anyone own a Sako bolt rifle. Worth the Coin?

I'm interested in first hand experience of someone who has a Sako 85 bolt rifle. Worth the coin? Finding some "deals" in the 1300 range for them for the new production Finn Bear with Walnut stock. Almost 1k off. Would just be another hunting rifle exclusively. I own plenty of rem 700's and brownings, but never a Sako. I know they also own Tikka, and have had plenty of time behind those too. Apparently Sako sends out rifles with with 1moa or better 5 round targets? I haven't seen any "I hate it" reviews and most people are in love with them. Experiences anyone? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 05-04-17 at 08:47.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I had a Sako M995 TRG-S in 6.5x55 back in the day. Basically a TRG action/trigger set in a hunting stock with skinny barrel. It remains one of the few guns I deeply regret parting with. God, that was a great gun...

Mind you that's a different animal than the 75/85 that is their hunting flagship but I have not been displeased by the few that I have handled, but the point is Sako can make a very good rifle. If I had to run out and get an off-the-rack hunting rifle today, I would no question probably look at a Sako first.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I had a Sako M995 TRG-S in 6.5x55 back in the day. Basically a TRG action/trigger set in a hunting stock with skinny barrel. It remains one of the few guns I deeply regret parting with. God, that was a great gun...

Mind you that's a different animal than the 75/85 that is their hunting flagship but I have not been displeased by the few that I have handled, but the point is Sako can make a very good rifle. If I had to run out and get an off-the-rack hunting rifle today, I would no question probably look at a Sako first.
    Thanks for the info. That's really all I'm looking for here. Off the rack, nice, that shoots. Not looking for anything custom this go around. Pick it up and shoot it. Going back to my roots. I have a old 30-30 lever action that I hunted deer with forever. Light, simple, iron sights, nice wood stock, etc. I am also tired of all the super expensive builds with 3k+ optics and suppressors, etc. Just want to get something that shoots out of the box decent that I have to do nothing to. I don't have to mess with, just throw on a Swaro or alike, and hunt with it. This, and a nice Camo SBE II shotgun are on my list. I got turkeys everywhere and all I have are tactical shotguns and an old 870 express from back in the day. What am I thinking!!! Just wanted to get some feedback before I bought one.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 05-03-17 at 16:03.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I am also tired of all the super expensive builds with 3k+ optics and suppressors, etc. Just want to get something that shoots out of the box decent that I have to do nothing to.
    Amen to that. I can't tell you how many times I've eyed down the 85 FinnLight and thought about pairing it with my homeless S&B Stratos just for the purpose of having a light, simple hunting rifle on hand.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Father-in-law has 2 and one of my best friends has 1. All 3 are great rifles.

Feedback Score
    I have a Sako A1 short action in .223. Light weight barrel, Leupold Scope. A very handy lil rifle. Very nice wood. Sako 223 1.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My Sako was a nice light rifle but the bolt stop which also houses the ejector became very loose from running the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Unquestionably on of the best out of the box shooters, fit & finish - excellent trigger! .308 fluted, stainless finnlight was top notch, my only complaint is the stock could be more substantial. Mine was under 7lbs with Swarovski scope...excellent lightweight hunting rifle. The bear has beutiful wood stock if I remember correctly, a bit heavier.

I had an offer to part with mine and went 6.5 Creedmoor Legendary Arms Works for 2x the money. Another great rifle, not 200% better.

Buy one, no regrets...it'll be a shooter!

If you want to spend less, I can also say Sako's little brother Tikka make THE best shooting $700 rifles I have ever seen.
    Last edited by mpardun; 05-06-17 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
    Unquestionably on of the best out of the box shooters, fit & finish - excellent trigger! .308 fluted, stainless finnlight was top notch, my only complaint is the stock could be more substantial. Mine was under 7lbs with Swarovski scope...excellent lightweight hunting rifle. The bear has beutiful wood stock if I remember correctly, a bit heavier.

I had an offer to part with mine and went 6.5 Creedmoor Legendary Arms Works for 2x the money. Another great rifle, not 200% better.

Buy one, no regrets...it'll be a shooter!

If you want to spend less, I can also say Sako's little brother Tikka make THE best shooting $700 rifles I have ever seen.
    Agree with everything above except I would skip the Tikka. They're decent but not at the level of Sako.

I own two Sako's and they are my best hunting rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Agree with everything above except I would skip the Tikka. They're decent but not at the level of Sako.

I own two Sako's and they are my best hunting rifles.
    Sub 1k tikkas can't be beat. I'd take a tikka over a m700 anyday. Sako is a whole other level, comparable more to the likes of a weatherby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast