Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gold Dot 230 grain Hollow point

Feedback Score
    Not to hijack, but anyone have experience with the Asym pistol loads?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    I have not, but it's tuff for new or small companies to compete. To manufacture high end ammo it cost $$$, and it therefore cost the same or more often times than Gold dots or HST ....so there is no real motivation to take the risk in buying it.
    Might be great but their prices appear in line with other proven HM Defense stuff.

But if you got a smoking deal, maybe
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    It try, doesn't always get to work out that way though since I do like to drag my carry gun to the range for practice. That said, I do try to cycle ammo regularly. There is a nice little bin on the door of a little gun safe that I have that has rounds sitting in it that have been chambered more times than I like. Personally, ideally, I'd only chamber a round once and then drop it in a bin for the range, but like I said, things get in the way. It is on my list of things to improve though. And hell, at least I not as bad as guys who have Black Talons from the 90's still loaded in their carry guns.
    I'm in the same boat. I shoot my carry guns, so I have to unload the JHPs periodically. If I'm concerned about them being chambered too often, I'll line them up on a desk, with a fresh, known good round on each end and hold the edge of a metal ruler across them. Any that are set back get discarded. I've only had to get rid of 3 or 4 in the last few years.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I shoot my carry guns, so I have to unload the JHPs periodically. If I'm concerned about them being chambered too often, I'll line them up on a desk, with a fresh, known good round on each end and hold the edge of a metal ruler across them. Any that are set back get discarded. I've only had to get rid of 3 or 4 in the last few years.
    The problem isn't always with bullet set back. The other issue that comes up is primer wear. The inside of a primer has the "primer compound" in it. Constant chambering and unchambering can cause this compound to be disturbed. Then, when you expect to hear a loud bang, you hear a click. I have never had it happen to me in 30+ years of shooting, but people whom I trust have mentioned it, so I figure why risk it? On the .001% chance that we would ever need to use our pistols for self defense, I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Again, set back can be an issue, but primer de activation is another one. Once or twice, and it's into the "range ammo" bucket for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    The problem isn't always with bullet set back. The other issue that comes up is primer wear. The inside of a primer has the "primer compound" in it. Constant chambering and unchambering can cause this compound to be disturbed. Then, when you expect to hear a loud bang, you hear a click. I have never had it happen to me in 30+ years of shooting, but people whom I trust have mentioned it, so I figure why risk it? On the .001% chance that we would ever need to use our pistols for self defense, I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Again, set back can be an issue, but primer de activation is another one. Once or twice, and it's into the "range ammo" bucket for me.
    Can someone validate this? I was under the assumption this applied to ars and floating firing pins only.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Can someone validate this? I was under the assumption this applied to ars and floating firing pins only.
    No repeated impacts can cause primer failure in pistols as well. My understanding is it can cause the anvil inside the primer to be displaced, preventing firing. The Gwinnett County GA Sheriff's Office had this occur during an officer involved shooting about 5 years ago.

From the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department:

Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department
    Training Bulletin
    January 1, 2012

In September of 2011, a GCPD officer was involved in a situation which quickly became a use of deadly force incident. When the officer made the decision to use deadly force, the chambered round in his duty pistol did not fire. Fortunately, the officer used good tactics, remembered his training and cleared the malfunction, successfully ending the encounter.

The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following:

“…..the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times.”

GCPD also sent an additional 2000 rounds of the Winchester 9mm duty ammunition to the manufacturer. All 2000 rounds were successfully fired.

In discussions with the officer, we discovered that since he has small children at home, he unloads his duty weapon daily. His routine is to eject the chambered round to store the weapon. Prior to returning to duty he chambers the top round in his primary magazine, then takes the previously ejected round and puts it back in the magazine. Those two rounds were repeatedly cycled and had been since duty ammunition was issued in February or March of 2011, resulting in as many as 100 chambering and extracting cycles. This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernable by external inspection.

This advisory is to inform all sworn personnel that repeated cycling of duty rounds is to be avoided. As a reminder, when loading the weapon, load from the magazine and do not drop the round directly into the chamber. If an officer’s only method of safe home storage is to unload the weapon, the Firearms Training Unit suggests that you unload an entire magazine and rotate those rounds. In addition, you should also rotate through all three duty magazines, so that all 46 duty rounds are cycles, not just a few rounds. A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-25-17 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Pappabear, Doc Roberts is one of the best terminal ballistics experts. Also a gun/shooting enthusiast. He performs ballistic testing for many leo agencies.

He was a member here a few years ago. He is still active on pistol-training.com. Go there, go to the ammo forum and the stickies up top are mostly his. It's a goldmine of terminal ballistics data.

I stick with loads he recommends, then I don't really think about it past that - except for accuracy.
    That's pistol-forum.com.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    I do. Very accurate and dependable ammunition in my experience.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345