Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average US weight/Height for adults

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Average US weight/Height for adults

Not a good average for 20+ y/o adults in the US:
    From the CDC circa 2016:

Measured average height, weight, and waist circumference for adults ages 20 years and over
    Men:
    Height (inches): 69.3
    Weight (pounds): 195.5
    Waist circumference (inches): 39.7
    Women:
    Height (inches): 63.8
    Weight (pounds): 166.2
    Waist circumference (inches): 37.5

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I attribute this to diet and life style. My shore duty was at a museum and library open to the public. Hundreds of visitors from around the world came to visit every day. During my time there I saw a diverse global population cross my path. American kids, pre-pubescent at times, looked close to weighing what I did-215 lbs. I am 6'4", solid, lean build. These were elementary and junior high kids, waddling their fat asses up the brow and stopping at the top, wheezing and complaing that they couldn't bring their sugary poisin drinks on board. Children from other nations looked like kids did when I was in grade school- young, energetic and skinny. The sight of children <13yo stuffing their faces with fast food, chips, candy, soft drinks, etc was embarrassing. Their complicit, spineless parents just infuriated me that much more. On the one hand, I was there, in uniform, fit and ready for action, showing just how great America is to a receptive international audience. Next to me are fellow Americans looking like reality TV of the worst kind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As much as I hated my parents as a kid I'm glad now they never bought junk food/drinks on a weekly basis. Occasionally they'd buy some chips or soda but that was maybe a few times a year. All our food was home cooked each week.

Of course when I got older I discovered the wonderful world of beer!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 05-04-17 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The US is fat and getting fatter. Interesting graphs depicting obesity trends since 1985. Of significant alarm, the graphs depicting prevalence of Type II diabetes parallel this trend almost exactly.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...ump-to-license

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...esity_map3.gif
    Last edited by Hmac; 05-04-17 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    There is no question the U.S. is getting fatter by the minute. I do have a problem with the whole BMI calculation however. I think 215 is a great weight for a 6'4" man, but if you plug it in to a BMI calculator you'll see that your BMI is 26.2 which is second to the highest category on that chart. Many years ago when I came back from RVN I was so skinny I looked like I had been a POW. By the Mayo BMI calculator I was 23.8 (barely under the overweight category).

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by qsy View Post
    There is no question the U.S. is getting fatter by the minute. I do have a problem with the whole BMI calculation however. I think 215 is a great weight for a 6'4" man, but if you plug it in to a BMI calculator you'll see that your BMI is 26.2 which is second to the highest category on that chart. Many years ago when I came back from RVN I was so skinny I looked like I had been a POW. By the Mayo BMI calculator I was 23.8 (barely under the overweight category).
    It's not an accurate representation of body composition, at all.

My (soon to be former) PCP has me as "obese" in my patient history, solely because my BMI is 30.2. With a resting HR of 54 bpm, BP 112/65, and running sub 6:30 miles.

I should get a Rascal scooter to haul my obese ass around.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BMI is useful for large population studies, less useful for groups, least useful for individuals and almost worthless for highly active people. It's a tool on the tool box and useful when used appropriately. Unfortunately, some attempt to apply it is a single metric to individuals without looking at other risk factors, etc.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    BMI is a marginal screening tool on an individual basis, but has excellent validity for large populations. I hear the above complaints all the time. In most cases it's from people who exceed the standard BMI normals. Body composition and occasionally physiology are often brought in to refute the "Obese" categorization. Sometimes it's a valid point, usually it's not. That's something that an experienced physician can generally ascertain in the first 30 seconds of a patient visit, regardless of resting heart rate of how fast the person can run.

Last edited by Hmac; 05-04-17 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Lol...trust me, I know. I got rope and choked every PT cycle, even though the only part I couldn't max was the run. I was about 30sec from a perfect score. It was a bit ridiculous to line up with the doughboys who seriously got red faced going up two flights of stairs just to be told I was a probationary pass for body comp. The command never gave me a hard time with the waiver, but the fact that a waiver was even necesessary is what bothered me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Lol...trust me, I know. I got rope and choked every PT cycle, even though the only part I couldn't max was the run. I was about 30sec from a perfect score. It was a bit ridiculous to line up with the doughboys who seriously got red faced going up two flights of stairs just to be told I was a probationary pass for body comp. The command never gave me a hard time with the waiver, but the fact that a waiver was even necesessary is what bothered me.
    I covered mil being penalized for being muscular a while back:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=penalize

My understanding is it has improved since then at least.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast