Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Medic Pack

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Surprised that there is no glucagon or d50. Other than that, nice list.
    Since folks with DM couldn't join the mil, it was never a problem. D50 has some temperature issues, but glucagon would certainly be easy enough to carry.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with diabetes being a non factor. I proposed the blood sugar drugs as there are some front line medicines that work better with a blood sugar correction.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    @chuckman

Thanks brother, I'm going to dump that in document and figure out what I can & cant do and shape up a super solid load plan. By the time I get through reading all the material you and Brother GTF recommended for me, I should be able to perform some surgical procedures on myself. (ha!)
    I have been practicing my sutures with q suture kit a Corpsman gave me (not on humans but roasts) and GTF pointed me to a training aid for IV's which is on my critical task list that I need proficiency in.

By the by, I have a line on an old med bag. Not sure if it's an M5 or M3. But if it's the M5 and it's serviceable I'll grab it. I thought for a sec to move stuff to a spare ruck, but when I realized that I was losing so much utility of the bag, which is what makes it such an excellent bag even today.

Thanks again the load out is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    @RobertTheTexan

I never did find my Special Operations Medical handbook, but I did find a 2001 copy of the AF Pararescue Medical Handbook. It does not have a packing list and 90% (well, maybe not that much) is ALS-level, but it is a treasure trove of protocols, treatment algorithms, and the like. There is a PDF version which I also have and am happy to send, but I think now they are public access now and you can google it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    @chuckman

Thanks for the heads up. My google-fu is weak because I'm finding more than one kind of PJ Medical Handbook. I've found lessons learned, and some on Amazon, but those of course aren't public domain.

would you mind sending? I'll shoot you my email in a PM if you don't mind.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    @chuckman

Thanks for the heads up. My google-fu is weak because I'm finding more than one kind of PJ Medical Handbook. I've found lessons learned, and some on Amazon, but those of course aren't public domain.

would you mind sending? I'll shoot you my email in a PM if you don't mind.
    http://www.ciomr.org/download/res/PA...HANDBOOK-1.pdf

If you can't get it this way, let me know.

Feedback Score
    Staying within your certification is essential. Don't carry stuff that you have no training on. Keeping stuff simple is crucial as you are going to stabilize and evacuate to a location where a trauma surgeon is available. To this day we have medics in the field trying to play God when a basic EMT produces a better outcome by simply stabilizing the patient and load n go to the trauma center.

FWIW, your kit looks better than a lot of bags that I see on engine companies.

Paramedic Newpatch spends 28 minutes on scene w a cardiac patient when a dedicated E.R. trauma/heart center is 9 minutes away.

Start the line en route, it's so much easier to work a code in a dedicated room, with as many hands as you need, with an MD/hospital pharmacist right here.

The one thing you will NEVER have enough of is……wait for it... sterile 4"x4"s.

That's my $0.02

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That Newpatch guy can drive seasoned EMT's nuts. Even though his cert trumps ours, his street sense and ability to read a patient isn't there yet.

In addition to 4x4s, the usefulness of a good BP cuff. As long as the Velcro isn't worn out yet you can get those veins to stand out for cannulation, reduce blood loss as a tourniquet, and squeeze a bag of saline through a drip set. Different uses for one tool...

Feedback Score
    looks like a really old bag well if it does the job and easy to carry then i guess its all good. i use this.

iad.jpg

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That Newpatch guy can drive seasoned EMT's nuts. Even though his cert trumps ours, his street sense and ability to read a patient isn't there yet.

In addition to 4x4s, the usefulness of a good BP cuff. As long as the Velcro isn't worn out yet you can get those veins to stand out for cannulation, reduce blood loss as a tourniquet, and squeeze a bag of saline through a drip set. Different uses for one tool...
    So what the heck is a "Newpatch Guy"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast