Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake vs. Bare Muzzle vs. Flash Hider...it matters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Distance?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    Distance?
    100 yards

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've gotta say that given the different conditions under which these sets of groups were obtained, and other differences that you haven't even noted. And given the number of groups, I don't see a significant statistical variation here. Certainly not nearly enough to draw any sort of conclusions.

OTOH if he had done:
    1) a minimum of 10-20 groups each,
    2) on the same day,
    3) under windless conditions,
    4) using the same ammo and from the same batch,
    5) with a clean rifle and barrel between sets,
    6) using a bench rest,
    you could then begin to draw some conclusions on variations of accuracy that a muzzle device may cause.

As it sits, the information provided is pretty close to meaningless in supporting the assertions being made.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    What was the brake torqued to? This can often be the cause of such issues if over-torqueing occurs. There are times where the recommended torque may just be too much, especially if the shoulder is not cut perfectly concentrically of if there is the slightest amount of pressure on the shims that is not uniform. May not be the issue here, but possible, as these issues all also occur with bolt rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjw182005 View Post
    What was the brake torqued to? This can often be the cause of such issues if over-torqueing occurs. There are times where the recommended torque may just be too much, especially if the shoulder is not cut perfectly concentrically of if there is the slightest amount of pressure on the shims that is not uniform. May not be the issue here, but possible, as these issues all also occur with bolt rifles.
    And this is yet another factor that can affect accuracy with a muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    20 ft-lb

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I second the question of torque rating. I would much rather have a lower torque on a precision gun by use of extra shims and lock the muzzle device in with rockset. Very easy with over torquing to mess with the harmonics of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I've gotta say that given the different conditions under which these sets of groups were obtained, and other differences that you haven't even noted. And given the number of groups, I don't see a significant statistical variation here. Certainly not nearly enough to draw any sort of conclusions.

OTOH if he had done:
    1) a minimum of 10-20 groups each,
    2) on the same day,
    3) under windless conditions,
    4) using the same ammo and from the same batch,
    5) with a clean rifle and barrel between sets,
    6) using a bench rest,
    you could then begin to draw some conclusions on variations of accuracy that a muzzle device may cause.

As it sits, the information provided is pretty close to meaningless in supporting the assertions being made.
    This is not an isolated rifle or incident, and the same shooter over hundreds of rifles has told me that 0.25-0.75moa increase in group size is not an atypical situation when adding a brake. This is simply the first time I have personally seen it demonstrated so directly.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-07-17 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I second the question of torque rating. I would much rather have a lower torque on a precision gun by use of extra shims and lock the muzzle device in with rockset. Very easy with over torquing to mess with the harmonics of the barrel.
    20 ft-lb on a 3/4" thread shouldn't be warping anything...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is not an isolated rifle or incident, and the same shooter over hundreds of rifles has told me that 0.25-0.75moa increase in group size is not an atypical situation when adding a brake. This is simply the first time I have personally seen it demonstrated so directly.
    I've heard similar claims before too. But in my own experiments using a PWS PRC on my 308 and a PWS FSC556, I haven't been able to quantify any difference in accuracy. Granted, mine is a very limited sample size.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast