Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake vs. Bare Muzzle vs. Flash Hider...it matters.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I've heard similar claims before too. But in my own experiments using a PWS PRC on my 308 and a PWS FSC556, I haven't been able to quantify any difference in accuracy. Granted, mine is a very limited sample size.
    I am betting that it has a lot to do with the brake, on a design by design basis, too.

Feedback Score
    Equal gas release when the bullet leaves the muzzle device should result in the best accuracy ie Smith vortex and similarly designed flash hiders. I've noticed improved groups with this type muzzle device over others that don't vent equally.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 05-07-17 at 11:06.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    Equal gas release when the bullet leaves the muzzle device should result in the best accuracy ie Smith vortex and similarly designed flash hiders. I've noticed improved groups with this type muzzle device over others that don't vent equally.
    This definitely makes sense to me. And has long been claimed by Smith, among others. I would love to see a well orchestrated test quantifying this however. It would be really interesting to see how much of a difference this actually makes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    This definitely makes sense to me. And has long been claimed by Smith, among others. I would love to see a well orchestrated test quantifying this however. It would be really interesting to see how much of a difference this actually makes.
    The worst I saw was .5 MOA. Every non chrome lined barrel I've ever owned has shot 69 grain smk's well. I put together a 16" recce style rifle with a melonited lothar walther barrel for one of my kids and used an ALG single chamber brake. The gun would shoot roughly 1.25" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. While good enough for him, it bothered me that it didn't do better. I tried several different powder and primer combos but 1.25" was all I could get. I removed the brake and the gun started shooting in the .75" range. I installed an A2 and it shot ~ 1". I borrowed a friends Smith vortex and the groups were back at .75". That barrel still has the smith on it. That barrel showed the largest group size variation of any I owned but others have acted similarly. Small sample size so take it for what it's worth.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Far more rounds need to be fired in both configurations before coming to any conclusions.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Here is a 10 shot group with MK319 using the BRAKE.

Here is are groups fired yesterday using a HAND TIGHT Surefire SOCOM Flash Hider.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerPeak View Post
    Far more rounds need to be fired in both configurations before coming to any conclusions.
    How many thousands would you consider good enough?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    You guys have me curious now. Vortex flash hider ordered...

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I've always heard from a few vetted shooters that the A1 flash hider was slightly more accurate than the A2. It doesn't surprise me that a brake would cause some disturbance in the flight path, when you watch a high speed video of a gun firing you always see gasses escape the muzzle before the projectile, so how could it not affect the flight pattern?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nobody said anything about thousands of rounds. As I see your groups, if the flash hider groups are overlaid, you have a two moa group with a flash hider and three moa with break (approximately).

I've seen far more variation than that in group to group (same setup) in many cases.

Feel free to explore different attachments, but I'd want to make sure an issue existed before throwing money at a solution. For me, I'd at least shoot 30 rounds at the same POA with each setup before moving forward.

It's your money and your experiment, just trying to offer some experience.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast