Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Brake vs. Bare Muzzle vs. Flash Hider...it matters.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Brakes are, in general, obnoxious...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes that is my question. Which would be the best for my 18" rifle gassed SS BA barrel with a .223 wylde chamber? It is obviously threaded (next precision barrel in this caliber i'm going to get will be an ARP with a 5/8x24 thread pitch) and has a standard A2 right now but would like to put something on it that will hide flash (preferably a QD for my upcoming Sandman K) but if there is a better option please let me know. It is for accuracy/precision and not a 3 gun rifle. It has a rifle buffer system so recoil will already be super mild.

Thanks,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Darrin, if I were in your shoes I'd get an A1 flash hider and screw it on hand-tight sans any washer. Costs around $7, no worries about over torquing or timing, and an A1 should work fine reducing flash on a 18” barrel.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Funny you said that we're using an A1 flash hider on a 16" Centurion recce barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    A half MOA 5 shot 100 yard gun is really on the outter edge of being "accurate" since accuracy will degrade at range. AND when discussing accuracy, it should be .5 MOA for most of its groups, not the best of the day.
    Wrong ... depends on the bullet (and barrel/load of course), but it is a well known fact some stabilize or “go to sleep” past 100-yds and shoot better and tighter sub-MOA at longer distances.

I’d agree with your point on lowly bulk ~55-grn 5.56s though.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Brian Litz latest precision shooting book addresses and provides good evidence against bullets “going to sleep”. It’s an interesting read either way!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is not an isolated rifle or incident, and the same shooter over hundreds of rifles has told me that 0.25-0.75moa increase in group size is not an atypical situation when adding a brake. This is simply the first time I have personally seen it demonstrated so directly.
    There are a lot of PRS shooters that would argue with him. Many of the best shooters indeed choose to use a brake for competition. However, I have seen certain brakes and comps cause issues while others don’t seem to at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill By Number View Post
    Brian Litz latest precision shooting book addresses and provides good evidence against bullets “going to sleep”. It’s an interesting read either way!
    Litzy is correct. This has been debated for years. I always wondered, how could an unstable bullet have a propensity to always, no matter where in this larger come at 100, all move back to a central, smaller cone as distance increases? It scientifically doesn’t make sense.

A yawing football beginning to spiral continues on whichever path it was on when it began to spiral.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shiv View Post
    There are a lot of PRS shooters that would argue with him. Many of the best shooters indeed choose to use a brake for competition. However, I have seen certain brakes and comps cause issues while others don’t seem to at all.
    Each barrel, comp, and ammunition combination are unique data points. Unless dozens of each of these combinations are tracked through their lives in direct comparison to bare muzzle from consistent fixtures, the effective sample size is 1. I have direct data reference that shows average group size increase with every brake tested. There are, of course, outliers in these data sets. When it comes to individual performance, reduction in recoil, and the resulting reduction in movement of the platform, is an advantage and will likely correspond with increased accuracy.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score

Brake vs. Bare Muzzle vs. Flash Hider...it matters.

You’d probably think this is out there, but a brake/comp/flash hider is installed at the most critical point for accuracy on a rifle. Sometimes the weight can “tune” the barrel. I’ve had barrels that shot better with the addition of a brake or comp. In fact, some Rimfire BR shooters use adjustable “tuners” on the muzzle to dial in their loads as rimfire ammunition isn’t tunable like reloaded centerfire.

I’ve experienced this effect with rifles myself which the harmonica were taped with the application of a muzzle device. I’ve one particular BCM SS410 that had the accuracy suffer once I pulled the factory comp off in favor of a flash hider (so I could mount a Surefire suppressor).

I find it odd that every example you’ve found an increase. Barrels and precision are weird things. I’d be interested to see your data and tested methodology. You should put it all in a thread for the rest of us sometime if you can.

Last edited by shiv; 02-05-18 at 10:12.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast