Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 77 GR Nos, clones, accuracy, blah...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

77 GR Nos, clones, accuracy, blah...

I've been chasing loads for years, and I'm finally ready to just settle on a few. But I have a couple more factors in the equation to ponder, neck tension and crimping... Is a full length sizing die going to do anything for neck tension? And is a light crimp going to do anything to remedy varying tension? I'm beginning to think some, but not all of my vertical stringing is a result of this.

At this point I'm settling on three loads, two for accuracy, one for speed and fragmentation...
    A Varget load works well, as does markm's h322 house load. I had actually found the h322 load in the past, but discounted it for its lack of velocity.
    And an AA2520 load for fragmentation, pictured below(25.1), in a 10 round test shoot. This is also where I seem to keep seeing at pesky stringing. I'd really like to find something with a higher velocity, all the while keeping all 10 under an inch.

Anyhow, thought I'd stop by, ask and share.. thanks for reading.

IMG_3939.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What die set are you using?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really don't see vertical stringing in your groups. Without knowing the shot order and witnessing a shift in group though a scope, I would say those groups are round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    What die set are you using?
    RCBS full length set

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    I really don't see vertical stringing in your groups. Without knowing the shot order and witnessing a shift in group though a scope, I would say those groups are round.
    I guess I'm referring to the vertical shot placement I experience more than the lateral.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your 25.1/AA2520 load looks pretty consistent.
    Have you shot at 2/3/400 with it- and how does it hold up at increased distance if so?

I have experienced better MOA groups at 300 (without wind) than at 100 -not infrequently.
    Often wondered if it just took a bit more distance for the bullet to "settle down".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also use rcbs full length dies for most cartridges. However i use them in conjunction with these

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...-223-remington

That way you can adjust the sizing die for appropriate use in our gas guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Your 25.1/AA2520 load looks pretty consistent.
    Have you shot at 2/3/400 with it- and how does it hold up at increased distance if so?

I have experienced better MOA groups at 300 (without wind) than at 100 -not infrequently.
    Often wondered if it just took a bit more distance for the bullet to "settle down".
    It did a 1.9 5 shot at 200, with a mean radius of .71. That's as far as I get until the snow melts at 3k feet. The ten shot, 100 mean radius is.41..
    Last edited by 2ac; 05-07-17 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:25.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This may be stupid, but once I've full length sized my brass and cleaned it, it all gets run through a Lee Neck sizing collet die. This step also removes media from the flash hole and primer pocket, and gives instant feed back to neck tension. You'll know instantly if you have a loose neck. After the rest of the process is complete, i put a very light crimp for accuracy loads or a medium crimp for plinking loads with the Lee Factory crimp die. Extensive? Yes. But there are a few months every year where I live where I'm doing more loading than shooting due to sub-zero temps.

What kind of press are you running?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast