Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Leo marks on an AR lower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    question 1,
    Was thinking about making it a swat model look alike which a 635 semi auto i saw at a local gun store had markings like so and which pd it was from and had a police auction bill of sale to cover the question.
    question 2
    don't disagree with you one bit, that's why I asked this question in concern about doing so. then again this is a registered SBR already so it's already a poster child of Nancy P. and Mrs. F...

Is this like what you saw at the gun store?

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I don't know if this is of any help, but, one of the LMT lowers I bought right after SH shooting was marked "Law Enforcement/Gov Use Only" or something like that.

It came from the factory like that, so it's not some aftermarket engraving. I have no idea if these were really produced for LE/Gov, or if it was just done by LMT for show?
    LMT sold the Defender/MRP lowers both with and without LEO markings. Different part numbers and roll mark, otherwise identical. You could also order the LEO versions in FA configurations.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    LMT sold the Defender/MRP lowers both with and without LEO markings. Different part numbers and roll mark, otherwise identical. You could also order the LEO versions in FA configurations.
    Yeah I remember when they did that, I'm not sure if they still do so.

Do you know if the LE marked receivers were made specifically for LE? Or was it just for show?

I know LE rifles don't have to be marked that way, and that it's not illegal for them to be sold commercially. I'm just wondering if LMT made them specifically for LE to begin with.

A story I heard, and yeah it's not a credible source so I never believed it to begin with, was that the LE marked lowers were made for LE agencies. But due to the shortage around 2013, LMT just sold the LE marked lowers commercially to meet demand.

I don't know if it's true or not. I bought the lower because I was specifically looking for an LMT and that's what popped up. I've just been curious as to what the real story behind them was. I know LMT has never been big on gimmicky marketing and flashy rifles, so it would seem odd to me that they would put the markings there all for just show.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you know if the LE marked receivers were made specifically for LE? Or was it just for show?
    During the AWB, it was for LE. After AWB, it could be for both civ and LE in states with AWBs..

Markings were only required on S/A guns, not F/A guns as per AWB.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    LMT LE marked lowers are still sold (L7C2L, as an example)

I'm bummed though, because when I checked the website they have jacked the price up over $100.

With the Colt OEM2s living on, I don't expect LMT will sell many complete lowers at that price. They used to be a pretty good value though.

LMT is not the only one who did this, Colt and others did as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    During the AWB, it was for LE. After AWB, it could be for both civ and LE in states with AWBs..

Markings were only required on S/A guns, not F/A guns as per AWB.
    Got it. I know during the AWB rules we're a little different, but the lower I had was produced way after the expiration of the ban. So I didn't know whether LMT was selling these as a mock up of receivers sold during the AWB (I know some people get a hard on for anything marked LE/Gov only) for the commercial market, or if they had their own company policy in which anything sold to LE is marked as such.

I'm bummed though, because when I checked the website they have jacked the price up over $100.

With the Colt OEM2s living on, I don't expect LMT will sell many complete lowers at that price. They used to be a pretty good value though.

Interesting, I remember when I bout mine it was only $15 more than the non marked lower.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Got it. I know during the AWB rules we're a little different, but the lower I had was produced way after the expiration of the ban. So I didn't know whether LMT was selling these as a mock up of receivers sold during the AWB (I know some people get a hard on for anything marked LE/Gov only) for the commercial market, or if they had their own company policy in which anything sold to LE is marked as such.

Interesting, I remember when I bout mine it was only $15 more than the non marked lower.
    Still only about $15 more, they jacked up all the prices

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Ah ok. That's too bad, they were a really good value always. Interesting that while everything else AR is going down, they raise prices. Could be the New Zealand contract though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have one of the LMT lowers with the LE markings I bought several years ago. The lower model is DEFENDER 2000.

I also have a Colt LE6920 with the LE markings I bought in 2008. Lower is marked "COLTS LAW ENFORCEMENT CARBINE CAL. 5.56MM".

Last edited by Renegade04; 05-10-17 at 21:57.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    We need to get somebody on here that can list/timeline how a lower receiver is made from the time it's an unmarked and unplated 80% forging to finished product. Somebody that has worked for Colt of FNH/FNUSA. I'm sure some companies may differ in how they do things (or may not) but it would be interesting to see how all that is done by the big manufacturers and what tooling they actually use.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast