Thread: M1A

Feedback Score

M1A

Is it normal to be able to squeeze the foreend and stock on a M1A

Feedback Score
    Are you referring to the top front handguard? That's a flexible piece. The stock itself ... no.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Yup, what he said. The top hand guard will squish down a bit if you grip it with a Kung Foo grip.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Is it normal to be able to squeeze the foreend and stock on a M1A

It is and if you see someone shooting a match with an M1A, be sure to squeeze the handguard and stock together- to see how well the stock is bedded.

It's a nice way to start a conversation at the range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you grip the barrel and underside of the stock, you will see some movement on a wood stock. If it requires at least 8 lbs. of force to move the stock ferrule away from the barrel band, you should have adequate bedding pressure.

There are other characteristics of a M1A to consider when trying to improve accuracy.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Yeah it does squeeze so I guess thats normal.Mine also has a synthetic stock not glass.There is only one sling swivel on the butt.Under the forearm is a small inlet flat space on the underside withtwo Allen head screws,no swivel.T2C what other improvements should I consider.I plan on trying to get to Range this Wednesday to try her out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was going to suggest a good leather sling, but if the front sling swivel is missing that is not an option. Install a sling swivel when you have the opportunity. The proper use of a sling makes a difference in shooting consistently and accurately.

Clean the rifle thoroughly and apply grease between the stock ferrule and barrel band. This aids in the stock and barrel band coming to rest in the same spot each time you fire without binding. Clean and lube the trigger group. Clean the gas piston and gas cylinder thoroughly using solvent and a plastic brush. Wipe the gas cylinder and gas piston dry before assembly. Get a good 6 point 3/8" socket and torque the gas cylinder plug to 100 inch pounds. Grease the bolt roller. Apply grease to sliding surfaces between the op rod and receiver.

Use good ammunition. Do not expect to shoot accurate groups using third world surplus 7.62 x 51 mm ammunition.

Post your results after your range outing.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-08-17 at 23:05.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PM inbound
    Train 2 Win