Thread: Attempting Med to long range

Feedback Score

Attempting Med to long range

My entry level Precision Rifle.

Tikka t3 compact tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor, with a Vortex Razor Gun II 3-18x50 sitting on a adm recon sl 20 moa
    Only put a couple of boxes Hornady 140 amax , Still trying to get the eye relief correct.
    Took the two buttstock spaces out, I'm short 5'7" short arms, While the cheek rest is non adjustable, I discovered it is held on by 1 sheet metal screw, so for now I tapped it for a 8-32 machine screw and using black fuel line tubing of different diameters as spacers on either side to raise it.
    Last edited by Travelingchild; 05-08-17 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    Pretty damn nice set up for an entry level rifle/scope.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Have the scope loosened and get in the predominate shooting position. As you get into position have your eyes closed, get comfortable and then open your eyes to see where the eye relief is. DO NOT move your head, crane your neck, etc. move the scope fore or aft to suit your position. Have a buddy to help, makes it easier.
    Cool start by the way, glad you didn't buy a remington
    Save your brass.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know if that rifle came with a comb riser or if you put it on yourself, but it looks like you are already aware of cheek weld which is great b/c it matters for repeatable accuracy. Don't be afraid to bring strips of something like a towel to slowly build up the comb height even more if need be where you can get a quick test under you to see if that gets you in the sweet spot. May not need it, but it's a simple only the fly tool you can use as you figure out what works best for you. Before you finalize any changes with the comb height always be sure to verify the bolt can move freely all the way back so you can drive another down range!

Beautiful rifle one heck of a nice setup to venture into longer shooting enjoy it!
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 05-09-17 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    nice setup. I think you wont really need to upgrade unless you really want to. only thing I can say is I like a 5-25 scope more ive owned the 3-18 loved it but decided I liked more magnification. best of luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice choices. That's far from entry level by most standards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Attempting Med to long range

Pretty dang nice for a first rifle.

I agree that's not an entry set up and will serve you well.

A good trick for build cheek height is a pool noodle or thick foam. Find the correct height and tape it on. Or just get one of the kydex adjustable kits they make now.

For the 6.5 try the 140 eld-M. They shoot great in ever 6.5 CM I have seen.

Now you need a bipod, rear bag, clamp on brake (unless barrel is threaded), and AMMO.

Let us see some groups once you get more time behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Nice setup

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    very nice setup -- enjoy. Getting the eye relief right for your natural shooting position is critical to be comfortable and shoot long range accurately. There are some good videos about this -- if you search for "Set up Your Scope for Success - Long-Range Rifle Shooting Technique" you will find one that I found to be was really helpful. Good luck.