Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need sight recommendations

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Need sight recommendations

I have an old Winchester 370 16g that I got from my grandpa.

He decided to chop the barrel down to 21" and with that, lost the choke and sights.

I am hoping to take this hunting in the fall for turkey and deer after I get it cleaned up a bit more.

What sights would be a pod accompaniment for this gun.

It shoots true and hits hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good timing on this! Bit of history I was raised on irons and a 22 plinking varmints. Didn't even try magnification until mid 90's was all irons. I tried a Burris Fast Fire III over the weekend and instantly fell in love. While I believe there is a place for magnification in hunting it really is unnecessary for the distances I hunt: hogs are almost always under 100. Deer inside max point blank range for my .308 of 270 yards and turkey 50 yards? I'm going to wait and try the Vortex Venom RDS and get something over the Memorial Day sale window, but a 3MOA reflex sight is not only going on my AR308, but my shotgun and other AR's. Going to keep a 3-9 on my bolt for shooting the fields which can reach 500 yard shots for yotes when the calves are dropping. A 3MOA dot will kill everything I look at though for deer, hogs and turkey.

Sum'n to consider although I'm not certain on mounting options for that old cannon.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 05-09-17 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Good timing on this! Bit of history I was raised on irons and a 22 plinking varmints. Didn't even try magnification until mid 90's was all irons. I tried a Burris Fast Fire III over the weekend and instantly fell in love. While I believe there is a place for magnification in hunting it really is unnecessary for the distances I hunt: hogs are almost always under 100. Deer inside max point blank range for my .308 of 270 yards and turkey 50 yards? I'm going to wait and try the Vortex Venom RDS and get something over the Memorial Day sale window, but a 3MOA reflex sight is not only going on my AR308, but my shotgun and other AR's. Going to keep a 3-9 on my bolt for shooting the fields which can reach 500 yard shots for yotes when the calves are dropping. A 3MOA dot will kill everything I look at though for deer, hogs and turkey.

Sum'n to consider although I'm not certain on mounting options for that old cannon.
    This is all good info. I'll have to look and see if there is anything available for mounts.

I think I am leaning towards irons to keep with the era of the gun, but am not opposed to magnification either. What irons would you recommend .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just as a side note the Vortex red dot/reflex sights have no magnification. Irons are great though not a thing to worry about. I have such horrible near and farsightedness that focusing on the front sight post is becoming increasingly difficult for this old fart. The red dot fixes that for me b/c my distance vision is 20/20 as long as I use my Coke bottle glasses:/ The shorter range where my front sight post is ~ 18" is just no man's land for my Rx.

I'm assuming that shotgun has a conventional vent rib? Some great irons, ghost rings etc will have fittings for a vent rib.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 05-09-17 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just as a side note the Vortex red dot has no magnification.

I'm assuming that shotgun has a conventional vent rib? Some great irons, ghost rings etc will have fittings for a vent rib.
    Oops! I misunderstood your last post!

And nope, no vent rib at all. Just a smooth barrel.

That's why I'm having a hard time finding anything other than a front bead, which may be my best option...

Thanks for the info so far!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only thing I have seen for a smooth barrel is a glowing sight that kind of snapped over the barrel. Didn't inspire me that's for sure, but saw a guy with on at the sporting clays range one day. I think Truglo made it....no idea on their quality, but I've heard the name kicked around online.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing I have seen for a smooth barrel is a glowing sight that kind of snapped over the barrel. Didn't inspire me that's for sure, but saw a guy with on at the sporting clays range one day. I think Truglo made it....no idea on their quality, but I've heard the name kicked around online.
    You're the man! I'll have to check them out and look for some reviews.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help

VP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure any good gunsmith could mount a set of whatever you want. For example a set of Remington carbine style slug sights.

I believe this may be your most reasonable DIY option:

https://www.truglo.com/firearms-wing...05DD8A38F256EC

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I''l break rank. I'd put a pair of beads on it. Put the mid bead as far back as possible without getting on the barrel taper. Mid beads are half the size and height of front beads. Regulate the barrel so it shoots with the front bead sitting on top of the rear. A figure 8. Hope you're not planning on shooting turkey or deer past 30-35 yards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I''l break rank. I'd put a pair of beads on it. Put the mid bead as far back as possible without getting on the barrel taper. Mid beads are half the size and height of front beads. Regulate the barrel so it shoots with the front bead sitting on top of the rear. A figure 8. Hope you're not planning on shooting turkey or deer past 30-35 yards.
    This may be an option as well.

And nope, that's the limit I'm comfortable at with this gun. Anything else past this will keep on walking.

Thanks man

VP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast