Thread: Just was gifted a ton of reloading supplies...now what?

Feedback Score

Just was gifted a ton of reloading supplies...now what?

About a week ago, my wife's grandfather had me come by his house so he could give me some reloading supplies. In all the times we'd talked about it, I never fully appreciated just how much he planned to give me until I actually went to pick it all up. Here's a short list of the components:

-Wet/Dry tumbler and media
    -Case Trimmer (manual)
    -Powder scale
    -A metric ton of 12 gauge shotgun shells and wads, along with shot and powder
    -TWO progressive reloading presses and all the dies and parts needed to get going.

Here's the "now what" portion. If you didn't catch on with the 4th item listed, everything is almost entirely for shotguns. I only own one shotgun, and don't shoot it that often. While it'll be nice to get started in learning how to reload, I definitely don't foresee needing to run two shotgun presses. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll ask anyways...

Is there any chance one of them could be converted and set up for centerfire (either pistols or rifles)? Both loaders are Hornady. One's a 366, the other is an Apex. From what I've found online, they're good presses. But, I don't believe they can be used to reload anything else.

So, I'm tying to figure out where I go from here. Is there hope in using them for loading other types of ammo? Should I quit my job and start a boutique shotgun ammo company out of my garage? Selling or trading is probably not an option, as I wouldn't feel right about that.

It'd probably be better to ask all this on a dedicated shotgun or reloading forum. But, again, I own only one. Don't shoot it that often. Hence, not a member on any such forums.

Thanks!
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I reload 12 gauge, bout 30K or so in tge past few years.

in short, no your not going to be able to swap it over for anything other than shotshells, you got to figure it alternately more steps in the process, as well as fewer.

While in jest, no botigue shotshells i dont think that profitable. Lol.

Can add more later once I home and able to type.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your thought process may be suspect.

Years ago I came into a mountain of .41 mag brass- with zero .41 magnums.
    I think I have six of them now.

Shotguns may take you in a new- and enjoyable direction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

A valid point. thought I would argue that with .41mag the ammo is a hurdle almost as much as the gun. Then again, it depends on the owner, I know guys who buy 12-20 cases of 12 gauge month because they shoot so much, and while they could reload because they have the time, they don't. That said, there a lot of fun to be had with shotguning though if you start shooting a lot you'd be amazed at how fast you can burn through wads, shot, ect.

Also, when it comes to reloading 12 gauge I find it is generally one of two groups doing the most, clays shooters, like myself, who reload a **** ton, and hunters looking to load specific game loads. Both are valid uses in my experience and I know gys with tailored hunting loads who swear by them, and they limit out with them too. You also have the guys doing crazy shit with them, but you have the same with clays shooters, 1/2 ounce of 8 1/2s at 1100FPS for trap shooting for example.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I reload 12 gauge, bout 30K or so in tge past few years.

in short, no your not going to be able to swap it over for anything other than shotshells, you got to figure it alternately more steps in the process, as well as fewer.

While in jest, no botigue shotshells i dont think that profitable. Lol.

Can add more later once I home and able to type.
    I figured I'd ask on the off chance it could be done. So, fortunately I didn't have my hopes up too much.

But then you just had to rain on my boutique ammo parade too! Not cool lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Good point. I appreciate the optimism. My wife, on the other hand, may not see that same silver lining.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I reloaded shotgun when I needed/wanted a specific, usually obscure load- 1.5 oz. of dueces or the like.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post

Good point. I appreciate the optimism. My wife, on the other hand, may not see that same silver lining.

Perils of marriage to a "gun guy", we do have our redeeming qualities however.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    But then you just had to rain on my boutique ammo parade too! Not cool lol.
    Lol. I figured I'd say it, for the simple reason that there is more to it than just the manufacturing angle, if you want to be legit that is. Not saying you couldn't, but liability and all that. Had a local pseudo surplus joint which has been carrying some ammo, mostly steel cased and freedom munitions stuff for a while and as of the last time I was up there began carrying home brewed 12 gauge boutique ammo. No name brass, just a round or two in a plastic baggie with $5 on the bag and what it is, like pumpkin ball, flechette, ect. I'm standing there looking at that going, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I just don't see it being worth it since you're preying on the lowest common denominator.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Lol. I figured I'd say it, for the simple reason that there is more to it than just the manufacturing angle, if you want to be legit that is. Not saying you couldn't, but liability and all that. Had a local pseudo surplus joint which has been carrying some ammo, mostly steel cased and freedom munitions stuff for a while and as of the last time I was up there began carrying home brewed 12 gauge boutique ammo. No name brass, just a round or two in a plastic baggie with $5 on the bag and what it is, like pumpkin ball, flechette, ect. I'm standing there looking at that going, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I just don't see it being worth it since you're preying on the lowest common denominator.
    Oh I get it, and that original comment was definitely in jest. I agree 100% that it'd be a very significant undertaking; financially and ethically. The reasons I avoid "bargain" ammo, are pretty much the same reasons I'd never get into making it for others.

I did run some numbers on what it might take to mfg rifle/pistol ammo. With a Dillon 1050 and an AmmoBot, one person can churn out a lot of rounds. Trying to compete with generic 55 and 62 gr loads is a losing battle. Now, developing some match or defensive loads could be done profitably. Still, it'd be a pretty big risk in trying to establish oneself in the market. Not to mention being confident enough to feel good about the ammo ending up in strangers' firearms. Between the equipment, insurance, advertising, etc, it's fun to think about. But not at all practical.

I did come across something rather interesting when watching some videos of the 1050 equipped AmmoBot. There was a guy on M4C who spammed a couple threads; basically advertising his ammo company in some threads where other members were looking for a particular round. Well, on the AmmoBot website they had "professional user" videos of their loader in action. Low and behold, one video was attributed to this company the dude here was representing. Does it mean it's not good or safe ammo? Not necessarily. But, as a consumer, it made me take a step back and really think about investigating anyone I plan to do business with.

-Army Chief