Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The AKM in 2017, what should I be looking at

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Maybe after a case or two of 7.62x39mm. For the moment, all I am looking at is a brake, a trigger retaining plate, and a sling.

I mean, in a perfect world, Magpul stock, Zhukov fore-end, Ultimak gasblock rail, red dot. Total cost: $400-800. That is a first line rifle, though, and I already have one. My AR-15. I'd do better spending that money on ammo, training, etc. Again, this is a training aid, not a primary weapon system.

If you do get a WASR, pick up one of the metal sidefolding stocks and drop some MI railed handguards on it. It won't have to be traditional at all.

Romy folding stock;
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/648697470
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-20-17 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe after a case or two of 7.62x39mm. For the moment, all I am looking at is a brake, a trigger retaining plate, and a sling.

I mean, in a perfect world, Magpul stock, Zhukov fore-end, Ultimak gasblock rail, red dot. Total cost: $400-800. That is a first line rifle, though, and I already have one. My AR-15. I'd do better spending that money on ammo, training, etc. Again, this is a training aid, not a primary weapon system.
    So are you looking for a straight up brake? Comp? FH? Or some type of combo device? Best bang for your buck brake is a Hungarian AMD65 brake. $20 on eBay. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cm8Gj3zD8RU

If you plan on really working the gun I'd avoid the Zhukov folder. The Vltor ifyou don't need a folder or CNC Warrior if you do. $180 is way too much for a Rommy folder IMHO.

Keep in mind the Zhukov HG requires chopping the HG retainer.

Vickers AK sling is GTG but whatever you run on your AR can be rigged up on the AK for commonality. A little creativity might be needed.

Red Star Arms or Krebs for a retainer plate.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    So are you looking for a straight up brake? Comp? FH? Or some type of combo device? Best bang for your buck brake is a Hungarian AMD65 brake.
    I honestly hadn't given it a lot of thought. The plan was to build a cart at AKOU and be done with it. Fighter brake, moe or zhukov hg, moe fixed stock, Vickers sling.

I was going to avoid a zhukov folder due to their reported durability problems and the preponderance of other (spendier) options. The fixed magpul moe stock looks good, though.

I haven't done any research into muzzle devices. I would imagine that a combo flash hider / brake would be good, especially in respecting the lane neighbours.

In the aftermath of the WASR, I've been kicking myself for not pushing the saiga that I was bidding on. $1000 rifle with $400 of goodies, sold for just over $800. I did this with an HK P30 a month or two ago. Just missed a fantastic deal because it was outside of my (arbitrarily low) budget.

Live and learn.

Either way, I got a good trainer for a good price. Mission accomplished.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Combo FH/Brake

Budget: Definitive Arms 14mm Fighter Brake

Mid range: Griffin Armament AK FlashComp (not blasty) Primary Weapons Systems FSC47 (blasty)

Baller: Surefire AK WarComp, Battle Comp Enterprises AKBC
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    My opinion: shoot a few thousand with the WASR before buying or doing anything to it. I have 2 Romanian AKs (one is a WASR 10) and they've both been accurate with 0 issues. I shot them a BUNCH, then upgraded one of them and sold the other, and bought an Arsenal in 5.56. What I've learned over the last few months from haunting boards is almost everyone has a brand they love and brands they hate. Brands they hate: they read something bad, had a bad experience, or simply got a lemon. Brands they love: read good things or they own one and its' never had a problem. Either way, you did what you set out to do: got an AK for training purposes for a good price. Now go shoot and see if you like AKs before spending more $

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker2000 View Post
    My opinion: shoot a few thousand with the WASR before buying or doing anything to it. ... Now go shoot and see if you like AKs before spending more $
    That is indeed the plan.

Picked it up today:aksmall.jpg

I was delighted to find that a Tapco G2 was already installed on the rifle, and it appears as though there is a retaining plate already mounted. So, that saves me some work and money. The muzzle device is welded on with a couple of very thin welds, which I'll either break myself or have my local gunshop guys do it. Either way, the goal is to reveal the threads, and then put something, ANYTHING on there besides a bare muzzle. The Fighter 24 over at AKOU looks like what I'll grab. From there, I need a sling, and then I am good to go. I nabbed six Polish RADOM mags from Aim at 9.95 a throw, and I am cooking with gas. After a few cases of TULA, I'll know what I want. After running about 90 rounds through the rifle, it is clear to see that an extended / better heatshielded handguard is in my future. After years of shooting ARs, my hands reach farther out than than the gas block with a regularity that only more than few minor burns will assuage.

Overall, for $500, I think that I did pretty well. It looks like the previous owner took decent care of it.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 05-24-17 at 18:06. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    That is indeed the plan.

Picked it up today:aksmall.jpg

I was delighted to find that a Tapco G2 was already installed on the rifle, and it appears as though there is a retaining plate already mounted. So, that saves me some work and money. The muzzle device is welded on with a couple of very thin welds, which I'll either break myself or have my local gunshop guys do it. Either way, the goal is to reveal the threads, and then put something, ANYTHING on there besides a bare muzzle. The Fighter 24 over at AKOU looks like what I'll grab. From there, I need a sling, and then I am good to go. I nabbed six Polish RADOM mags from Aim at 9.95 a throw, and I am cooking with gas. After a few cases of TULA, I'll know what I want. After running about 90 rounds through the rifle, it is clear to see that an extended / better heatshielded handguard is in my future. After years of shooting ARs, my hands reach farther out than than the gas block with a regularity that only more than few minor burns will assuage.

Overall, for $500, I think that I did pretty well. It looks like the previous owner took decent care of it.

Whatever you do, don't permanently modify anything to accommodate accessories like handguards or stocks. Congrats and welcome to the dark side.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-24-17 at 18:49.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567