Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr sueing Sig

Feedback Score

Steyr sueing Sig

Not a sig fan even remotely, until the p320 which I've put hands on but have yet to shoot. This seems like weak sauce severely to me. Doubt I'll be spending any money at steyr anytime soon either. Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetr...army-p320/amp/

SIG SAUER is riding high following the announcement that their P320 handgun has been accepted for service by the U.S. military to replace the aging Beretta M9. Naturally everyone else in the gun manufacturing world, especially those who were their competition during the selection process, are trying to throw spanners in the works and keep the guns from actually being delivered. Today’s complication comes from Steyr Arms, who claim that they have a patent on the removable chassis system that makes the P320 (and P250) series handguns unique.

The complaint filed May 3rd in U.S. district court for the northern district of Alabama references Steyr’s patent US6260301 (filed in 1999 and approved in 2001), which is for a handgun with a removable chassis. From the patent:

A pistol comprising a housing; a barrel slide movably mounted on the housing for movement in a firing direction with respect to a barrel; and a trigger mechanism located, at least in part, within the housing, the improvement which comprises a multifunction metal part removably insertable within said housing, said multifunction metal part being provided with guides for the barrel slide and means for supporting the trigger mechanism, said multifunction metal part and housing are each provided with a transverse hole which receives a shaft for connecting the housing and the multifunction metal part together, the housing has a rear wall which is provided with a recess for receiving a projection on the multifunction metal part the multifunction metal part includes control means for locking said barrel in the barrel slide.
    That does, in fact, sound a whole lot like the P320/P250 chassis system that SIG SAUER uses in their handguns. That’s the secret sauce that makes the P320 so modular and perfect for the Army’s competition.

So Steyr Arms claims that they had the idea for a modular chassis first, SIG SAUER infringed on their patent without a license, and they want it to stop. Steyr Arms is demanding a prelimenary and permanent injunction against SIG SAUER selling any of these firearms. It remains to be seen what impact this will have on the military adopting the P320 handgun, and how much of the lucrative contract award might be funneled off towards Steyr Arms as a license payment.
    Last edited by graffex; 05-09-17 at 23:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why now?
    Why not when the 250 came out? And aren't there other companies other than Sig using a chassis system in their handguns? They being sued too? Something not tracking here.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as other companies using a removable chassis, none that I can think of (aside from AR trigger "cassettes" and HK trigger packs).

From the patent itself ( https://www.google.com/patents/US6260301 ), a few interesting points stand out:

Publication date Jul 17, 2001
    Filing date Aug 13, 1999
    DETAILED DESCRIPTION
    [snip]
    8. A hammer can also be provided instead of the sear.

[snip]

The description of an exemplary embodiment is not intended to limit the invention in any way to a specific method of construction or method of operation of a pistol.
    and also, this at the very bottom:
    Jan 15, 2014 AS Assignment
    Owner name: STEYR MANNLICHER GMBH, AUSTRIA
    Free format text: CHANGE OF NAME;ASSIGNOR:STEYR MANLICHER HOLDING GMBH;REEL/FRAME:032019/0961
    Effective date: 20131004
    Sep 23, 2015 AS Assignment
    Owner name: STEYR ARMS, INC., ALABAMA
    Free format text: ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST;ASSIGNOR:STEYR MANNLICHER GMBH;REEL/FRAME:036663/0166
    Effective date: 20150923
    I'm wondering if these last two (which, to my untrained eye) are restructurings and the new setup has decided to go ahead with this.

When does the patent expire?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In the end Steyr will get a royalty per gun delivered, as that is how the game is played in the big leagues boys!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Why now?
    Why not when the 250 came out? And aren't there other companies other than Sig using a chassis system in their handguns? They being sued too? Something not tracking here.

Why now? Sig recently won a major contract and Steyr can smell money. Part of me hopes Sig fights it.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Why now? Sig recently won a major contract and Steyr can smell money. Part of me hopes Sig fights it.
    I'm with ya on that. The 250 didn't generate enough revenue to warrant the paperwork.... Waiting for the law suit against Beretta for the Nano and the APX, also removable chassis system weapons, bet we don't see one.

Just in.....Company (XXXX) files suit against Sig for using the same shade of black as they do on their slide.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it appears Steyr did file a complaint against Beretta for the Nano, but again, didn't go after the P250 design originally.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 05-10-17 at 08:50.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This will be interesting to watch. I looked and couldn't find a patent on the P250 removable chassis. Maybe Styer has a legitimate suit....
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did Sig file any patents?

Why did Sig not know about Steyrs Patent?

Reading Steyrs patent it seems legit that Sig infringed. Did Sig knowingly do so with the intent of paying a royalty if it came down to it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Did Sig file any patents?

Why did Sig not know about Steyrs Patent?

Reading Steyrs patent it seems legit that Sig infringed. Did Sig knowingly do so with the intent of paying a royalty if it came down to it?
    Could be, they may have figured it would be easier and cheaper to pay them royalties. These big companies know how things work. The 250 wasn't a hit and Sig figure if someone called them on the carpet they would quit making them. The 320 hit it big time and they figured if the same happened, they would just pay it out, and with the big contracts, that shouldn't be a problem.

Glock received an undisclosed amount from S&W for their infringement and S&W survived. I'm sure Sig will fair just as well.

TXPO
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Screw it. Sig should just buy Steyr out.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast