Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HST still the go to for most the 9mm guys?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    147 HST's have proven quite accurate for me out to 100m from the Glock 17, and have performed well in my amateur-hour/backyard redneck expansion testing.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    147gr HST all the way

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    +P or not? My understanding is modern bullets are designed to perform to a standard within a velocity window, if standard velocity through a given barrel produces enough velocity you are good to go. If not move to +P. G19 124gr +P GD, G17 124gr std vel GD and in my carbon sigs also. That's my take I have lots of both...
    Last edited by LMT/556; 10-29-17 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    I give preference to penetration rather than expansion.

I'd been carrying Gold Dot 124's when I was carrying 9mm but have run low.

I ordered some 124 gr +p Hornady XTP and 124 gr +p Golden Sabre's to try out in the Px4. Main concern's are reliability, accuracy/POI and muzzle flash.

I expect both to be fine.

I got the +p's because Hornady tends to load things on the slow side. Also my next pistol may be a compact Px4 with a 3.27 in barrel and the extra pressure will help keep velocities up.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-30-17 at 00:20.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I give preference to penetration rather than expansion.

I'd been carrying Gold Dot 124's when I was carrying 9mm but have run low.

I ordered some 124 gr +p Hornady XTP and 124 gr +p Golden Sabre's to try out in the Px4. Main concern's are reliability, accuracy/POI and muzzle flash.

I expect both to be fine.

I got the +p's because Hornady tends to load things on the slow side. Also my next pistol may be a compact Px4 with a 3.27 in barrel and the extra pressure will help keep velocities up.
    Winchester “Defend” and 147 Ranger T’s are in the long end of acceptable penetration in youtube testing. Check out “ammo quest”. My PX4 seems to have no problem with Train and Defend.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've been all-in on 147gr HSTs for a while now in all of my 9s. I have some of the 150gr to try in a Glock 43, but I just bought them because they were on the shelf. I doubt there's enough of performance difference to justify switching. If I was in LE, I might consider bonded Rangers because of the increased chance of shooting through auto glass, but the HST still performs pretty well through barriers.

Feedback Score
    A coworker of mine (a firearms instructor for our department) was out at Quantico for training and he said that the FBI has been impressed with the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P in their Glock 17 and 19M's.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I still use the 147 HST's in 9mm but I haven't really been keeping up with the new ammo being released. I was fortunate to pick up some of the HST for a very good price and haven't had a reason to look elsewhere yet.
    I have also heard from a few range guys that I see at our club every weekend that they have been impressed with the Hornady Critical Duty and that it was GTG for a self defense round but have not had a chance to shoot it myself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't believe anyone would be able to tell the difference between any of the various manufacturers self defense ammo.

I carry HST, but wouldn't feel ill equipped with any of the other options available

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are talking about current gen from the big names, right? Because some of the older designs are just junk in denim and barrier tests.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast