Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HST still the go to for most the 9mm guys?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't need the 'best' rounds..... but my list of "good enough for carry" is pretty boring:

HST
    Gold Dot
    Hornady
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    147gr HST +P for me, have several hundred rounds of it.

That said, the new(er) 150gr HST for short barrels is intriguing. Lower velocities but the jacket must be designed to open up easier. The Lucky Gunner link on the previous page was interesting.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    147gr HST in my carry gun. I was tempted to be uber cool and switch to the new Speer G2 (the FBI's load), but the HST is proven, and crazy cheap... why change?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I still use this list, which was last updated 2016-06-01:
    Agreed

Imo, it's either on the list, or its not.

If it's on the list, keeps similar poi, and is accurate enough (I have a goal), I buy whatever is cheapest. 90% of the time, that's hst147 or gold dot 147gr. Hst is good, but I don't think it does anything ranger t or gold dots dont. At least not that I've seen documented.

I have bought 500rds of w4355 (40sw) for $20/50rds. I have yet to find 9mm on the list for that price
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-10-17 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    147gr HST in my carry gun. I was tempted to be uber cool and switch to the new Speer G2 (the FBI's load), but the HST is proven, and crazy cheap... why change?
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    147gr HST +P for me, have several hundred rounds of it.

That said, the new(er) 150gr HST for short barrels is intriguing. Lower velocities but the jacket must be designed to open up easier. The Lucky Gunner link on the previous page was interesting.
    Just an FYI gents on those two loads- I have just this week been researching these..to the point Ive seen/read about all there is to know to form a conclusion..that the G2 ammo is almost PURE CRAP...ans was described as such by more than one tester & reviewer. I wouldn't allow it in the house..it is TERRIBLE.
    As for the HST +P...in the past 6-8 months...Ive tried to "unwire" a decades old train of thought that +P was better than standard pressure.
    As others here..and elsewhere have said & proven...IT IS NOT. The +P 147 load does not in ANY test Ive seen or read, perform better than standard 147 HST. Almost always..+P's give you more penetration & less expansion...while standard velocity gives better expansion, less penetration. And if you are running a short barreled gun...its MUCH worse.
    I was of the mind until very recently, that the +P 230gr 45 JHPS were the cats ass. They aren't. I encourage you to take a few hours and really research any carry ammo you use. And again..that G2 is crap. I remember reading that in these pages here a long time ago, from one of our SME's, also.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Just an FYI gents on those two loads- I have just this week been researching these..to the point Ive seen/read about all there is to know to form a conclusion..that the G2 ammo is almost PURE CRAP...ans was described as such by more than one tester & reviewer. I wouldn't allow it in the house..it is TERRIBLE.
    As for the HST +P...in the past 6-8 months...Ive tried to "unwire" a decades old train of thought that +P was better than standard pressure.
    As others here..and elsewhere have said & proven...IT IS NOT. The +P 147 load does not in ANY test Ive seen or read, perform better than standard 147 HST. Almost always..+P's give you more penetration & less expansion...while standard velocity gives better expansion, less penetration. And if you are running a short barreled gun...its MUCH worse.
    I was of the mind until very recently, that the +P 230gr 45 JHPS were the cats ass. They aren't. I encourage you to take a few hours and really research any carry ammo you use. And again..that G2 is crap. I remember reading that in these pages here a long time ago, from one of our SME's, also.
    Some early G2 was bad, recalled, and tweaked. Of tests on more recent production, do the bad results your seeing come from 1) testers trained and experienced in terminal ballistic testing, 2) using calibrated ballistic gelatin, 3) following established testing protocols, 4) with credible sample sizes of test articles?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorman View Post
    Or is there a new flavor out there that does better than the HST........go
    Less $, much easier to find than HST in my experience, very common duty rnd with LE, and performs well in tests, Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP. That's usually my CCW.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    More discussion on that topic also:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-standard-HST
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I don't need the 'best' rounds..... but my list of "good enough for carry" is pretty boring:

HST
    Gold Dot
    Hornady

The Critical defense stuff? I recall that didn't test well. There's the critical duty stuff also. Not sure current status, but I recall legit testers like DocGR, et al didn't recommend it.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    This is all great info thanks all

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast