Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HST still the go to for most the 9mm guys?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Less $, much easier to find than HST in my experience, very common duty rnd with LE, and performs well in tests, Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP. That's usually my CCW.
    if that lucky gunner test is an indication, the gold dot 147 doesnt seem to open up very well. why would you stick with that over HST?

i was surprised to see the ranger 124/127 +p stuff not open either.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    if that lucky gunner test is an indication, the gold dot 147 doesnt seem to open up very well. why would you stick with that over HST?
    As mentioned, easier to find and cheaper than HST in my experience, but have some HST too. Would lucky gunner be as ST911 outlined:

"1) testers trained and experienced in terminal ballistic testing, 2) using calibrated ballistic gelatin, 3) following established testing protocols, 4) with credible sample sizes of test articles?"

I have my doubts. It was chosen due to being on the list (see #5) of someone who meets that criteria in spades. That rnd is also had extensive real world use among LE and I believe considered GTG. I'd use the HST without hesitation and perhaps it has the edge on LE Gold dot 147g, not sure. Personally, I don't hang on latest greatest bullet tech per se and will wait until people or orgs fitting the 1-4 criteria above supply their findings.

Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    i was surprised to see the ranger 124/127 +p stuff not open either.
    See link in post #18 for possible reasons for that as well as comments in this thread. Use of +p may in fact be a negative to terminal performance.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-11-17 at 11:43.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Priority is, 1 does it penetrate enough reliably across multiple types of barriers.
    2, does it open up reliably across multiple types of barriers.
    3 how far does I open.

At least that's they way I interpret what the experts say. Gold dot satisfies those. People don't get killed because their load opened up to .56 instead of .59". They have died because the round failed to stay together after passing through glass, or lacking to penetrate deep enough, or because they missed.

Feedback Score
    The ONLY reason a +P round wouldn't open up as well as a standard pressure load of the same brand is bullet design tweaks. It isn't the added velocity doing it; in fact, that is the inverse of what speed will do to a HP. No, I'd like to know (such as in the case of the HST +P) if the skives in the bullet are cut deeper/longer/somehow differently than the standard pressure ones. Maybe the metallurgy is different? I dunno. But speed is NOT the reason they may or may not act differently. It would be very disappointing to learn that a bullet company made a round "sturdier" because it was going faster, i.e. less likely to expand as well and relying solely on the speed to make it open. Hell, a lot of people use +P's for standard barrel-length results from shorter barrels.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've only ever used 124 gr +P Gold Dots. After lots of experience not shooting it at anything, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Some early G2 was bad, recalled, and tweaked. Of tests on more recent production, do the bad results your seeing come from 1) testers trained and experienced in terminal ballistic testing, 2) using calibrated ballistic gelatin, 3) following established testing protocols, 4) with credible sample sizes of test articles?
    Yessir. I think the some of the latest tests have been within the last 6 months or so. No expansion...extreme penetration...petals breaking off...and one test had very poor accuracy. In short barrels...forget it.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is +P "necessary" for HST 124gr to perform well?
    Last edited by scooter22; 05-11-17 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    Nope.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I will have to see if I can dig up the test results of the Critical Duty. If you know of a quick quick link, etc please post.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The Critical defense stuff? I recall that didn't test well. There's the critical duty stuff also. Not sure current status, but I recall legit testers like DocGR, et al didn't recommend it.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I will have to see if I can dig up the test results of the Critical Duty. If you know of a quick quick link, etc please post.
    I don't, was just a recollection on my part. I think it was the critical defense stuff that didn't test so well.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast