Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HST still the go to for most the 9mm guys?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_30-06 View Post
    ... and maybe I don't put enough faith in 9mm, but I still regard it as a caliber where more than one round may be needed to do the job --
    Instant one shot incapacitation:

Physiologically, the only way to reliably produce this effect with a pistol is to put a hole in the brain or spinal cord. Caliber does not appear to matter, within reason, as long as it can reach and penetrate those areas.

Psychologically, instant one shot incapacitation is unreliable, but also seems to be independent of caliber.

If we eliminate the instant and single shot part, more shots faster looks better by my math. There continues to be no evidence showing that .45 drops crappy people faster than 9mm.

Plan on using more than one round. Caliber seems to be the least important factor in the outcome of a pistol fight.

Feedback Score
    I have yet to see anything new that outperforms the Federal HST or the Speer Gold Dot so those are what I stick with for carry in ether 124gr +p or 147gr/147gr +p.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

Physiologically, the only way to reliably produce this effect with a pistol is to put a hole in the brain or spinal cord. Caliber does not appear to matter, within reason, as long as it can reach and penetrate those areas.

Psychologically, instant one shot incapacitation is unreliable, but also seems to be independent of caliber.

If we eliminate the instant and single shot part, more shots faster looks better by my math. There continues to be no evidence showing that .45 drops crappy people faster than 9mm.

Plan on using more than one round. Caliber seems to be the least important factor in the outcome of a pistol fight.
    http://emptormaven.com/2013/02/the-obsolete-45-acp/

The gel shot says it all...
    Last edited by LMT/556; 02-07-18 at 05:31.

Feedback Score
    I’m interested in the new Golden Saber Black Belt.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok, but making bigger holes cannot be a bad thing.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty much all modern rounds like HST or gold dots behave the same regardless of caliber, therefore higher round count and lower recoil for quicker follow up shots wins. That's the premise. Massad Ayoob advocated .45 in Nazi states that limit round capacity to 10 (or less).

The only outliers might be 10mm or .357 sig for penetration (bear country, windshields, etc).
    Last edited by LMT/556; 02-07-18 at 05:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This response mirrors what I've heard from the current and past medical examiner of a large metro city who both choose and recommend 9mm for these reasons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe in both the HST round & the .45ACP that I just got 150 rounds in of 230gr. HST. Could NOT care less about internet lore and/or opinion. Ive seen what it can do...been shooting...45's!... since late Seventies, its an awesome round that CAN be shot fast, with practice, and its track record is without question, in my mind. THAT said, I still carry a G19 with either +P HST or GoldDots in 124gr. All this badmouthing the .45 of late is a bunch of BULLSHIT.
    Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-10-18 at 07:06.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I believe in both the HST round & the .45ACP that I just got 150 rounds in of 230gr. HST. Could NOT care less about internet lore and/or opinion. Ive seen what it can do...been shooting it since late Seventies, its an awesome round that CAN be shot fast, with practice, and its track record is without question, in my mind. THAT said, I still carry a G19 with either +P HST or GoldDots in 124gr. All this badmouthing the .45 of late is a bunch of BULLSHIT.
    You've been shooting HST since the 70's?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i was out shooting with a buddy and his long time friend and recently retired "navy door kicker professional" came along. when we talked tactics and technique, he always stressed the double tap for rifles and pistols.

i'll take that as a professional piece of advice.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast