Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M16A2 clone Redo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Yes but they are supposed to be accurately calibrated out to 500 yards. I'm just wondering if this system actually works. I've never been to a range that went beyond 100 yards so there is no way I can really check it out for myself.
    Just like the A1s, when the sights are zero'd as they should be, the A2 sights are accurate to at least 500 yards. The trick to being accurate out past 100 yards is knowing what the proper sight picture should be at a given distance. You still have to account for bullet drop. I had to learn this in boot camp almost 40 years ago.

Here is a page from my boot camp notes on the M16A1 depicting the different sight pictures based on a 100M zero using M193 ammo.

Notice that the 300M target shows center-mass, the 200M target shows 6 o'clock, and the 500M target shoes head & shoulders. Results may be similar for the M16A2. I have not seen anything showing various sight pictures on the M16A2 using M193 ammo.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Just like the A1s, when the sights are zero'd as they should be, the A2 sights are accurate to at least 500 yards. The trick to being accurate out past 100 yards is knowing what the proper sight picture should be at a given distance. You still have to account for bullet drop. I had to learn this in boot camp almost 40 years ago.

Here is a page from my boot camp notes on the M16A1 depicting the different sight pictures based on a 100M zero using M193 ammo.

Notice that the 300M target shows center-mass, the 200M target shows 6 o'clock, and the 500M target shoes head & shoulders. Results may be similar for the M16A2. I have not seen anything showing various sight pictures on the M16A2 using M193 ammo.
    Thanks but I pretty much understood this already with the A1 sights but I'm still a little in the dark with the A2 sights. Supposedly you can turn the rear sight wheel there to a designated spot on the wheel for a given distance and this compensates for you the holdovers at those distances. I was just questioning if they really work as they are supposed to. I've never heard anyone comment on how well or how bad they worked.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    That is a great looking rifle OP. I like just the basics....I'm not much for all the fancy electronics and such on an AR. Nice build you did!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    That is a great looking rifle OP. I like just the basics....I'm not much for all the fancy electronics and such on an AR. Nice build you did!
    Thank you.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks but I pretty much understood this already with the A1 sights but I'm still a little in the dark with the A2 sights. Supposedly you can turn the rear sight wheel there to a designated spot on the wheel for a given distance and this compensates for you the holdovers at those distances. I was just questioning if they really work as they are supposed to. I've never heard anyone comment on how well or how bad they worked.
    The marks on the wheel of the A2 sight will get you in the ball park, but you have to actually shoot the rifle to fine tune the sight and yourself
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The marks on the wheel of the A2 sight will get you in the ball park, but you have to actually shoot the rifle to fine tune the sight and yourself
    Thank you. Actually this is what I had envisioned.

Feedback Score
    Any problems with the FN that you didn't have with Colt ( and vice-versa) ... ???
    No they both performed as they were supposed too. Never had any M16 problems. Magazine problems different story.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    No they both performed as they were supposed too. Never had any M16 problems. Magazine problems different story.
    Which mags did you have problems with and why?

Feedback Score
    Which mags did you have problems with and why?
    Had a few mags over the years that had the spot welds give out and caused double feeds. Don't actually recall the makers. Grunts can be hard on their equipment. All told in perspective 3-4 mag failures over 20 years really isn't a lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123