Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M16A2 clone Redo

Feedback Score
    Awesome job����

Feedback Score
    If that is a surplus upper it must have come off a pogs rifle. Us grunts had rifles with much more bare aluminum showing within a short time from issue. Good job. The only brand new A2 I ever got was an FN and it was replaced with an M4 a year later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    The only brand new A2 I ever got was an FN and it was replaced with an M4 a year later.
    QUESTION: When did the FN weapons first start appearing in US military use/inventory?
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    QUESTION: When did the FN weapons first start appearing in US military use/inventory?
    FN got the contract in 1988 and started supplying replacement barrels and upper assemblies. In 1992, complete FN M16A2s were being issued.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Renegade, when did you first see the A2? When I got to Quatico, the salty LCpl I shared a room with told me that they had transitioned about a year prior. I never saw an FN until 2001, got a new one late 04 and deployed with it. Got back turned it all in, transferred to a new unit and got a Colt M4.

Feedback Score
    Renegade, when did you first see the A2? When I got to Quatico, the salty LCpl I shared a room with told me that they had transitioned about a year prior. I never saw an FN until 2001, got a new one late 04 and deployed with it. Got back turned it all in, transferred to a new unit and got a Colt M4.
    Any problems with the FN that you didn't have with Colt ( and vice-versa) ... ???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did not encounter a M16A2 until 1996. I had joined the USAF Reserve late 1995 and had to qualify on the A2 in 1996 when the squadron quals were due. Up until that time, I had only dealt with the M16A1. I was already well out of the Marine Corps (1978-84) before the M16A2 was ever issued. I will say this. I much prefer the rear sight on the A1.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I did not encounter a M16A2 until 1996. I had joined the USAF Reserve late 1995 and had to qualify on the A2 in 1996 when the squadron quals were due. Up until that time, I had only dealt with the M16A1. I was already well out of the Marine Corps (1978-84) before the M16A2 was ever issued. I will say this. I much prefer the rear sight on the A1.
    QUESTION: Does the A2 rear sight ever really work the way it's supposed to? I've never heard anyone brag about them.

I only have experience with the M4 (as far as "issued" weapons are concerned) and the one I was issued had the MaTech folding rear sight that we could not remove for any reason, even to install a carry handle. We were also restricted to EoTech(s) up until my last year of service until I and others complained and they all of a sudden admitted they had started crossing over to Aimpoints, so we finally got those my last year in.

I've never been able to try A2 or carry handle rear sights out to anything past 100 yards and I'm curious to know if they really work ... LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    QUESTION: Does the A2 rear sight ever really work the way it's supposed to? I've never heard anyone brag about them.

I only have experience with the M4 (as far as "issued" weapons are concerned) and the one I was issued had the MaTech folding rear sight that we could not remove for any reason, even to install a carry handle. We were also restricted to EoTech(s) up until my last year of service until I and others complained and they all of a sudden admitted they had started crossing over to Aimpoints, so we finally got those my last year in.

I've never been able to try A2 or carry handle rear sights out to anything past 100 yards and I'm curious to know if they really work ... LOL
    there's a reason why they use them at matches back in the day. personally prefer the A1's but yes the A2's do what they were designed for, quick point of impact shifts
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    there's a reason why they use them at matches back in the day. personally prefer the A1's but yes the A2's do what they were designed for, quick point of impact shifts
    Yes but they are supposed to be accurately calibrated out to 500 yards. I'm just wondering if this system actually works. I've never been to a range that went beyond 100 yards so there is no way I can really check it out for myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast