Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy another ACOG or Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen ii

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is your barrel length and load?

i ran the JM for a while and i got it to work with a 75g load out of my 16inch gun, lined right up and worked like a champ, but i did have to run a 200yard, i have always ran a 100yard in all my scopes prior to this.

but the reticle didn't line up the same on other guns or loads, it was close enough though

i now have the mil based Kahles 1-6, and it works for any load and gun, much more precise but slower than the JM

Me me if you are going to run a similar load as to what the JM is designed for then get it, if not get a moa or mil based version

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bates View Post
    What is your barrel length and load?

i ran the JM for a while and i got it to work with a 75g load out of my 16inch gun, lined right up and worked like a champ, but i did have to run a 200yard, i have always ran a 100yard in all my scopes prior to this.

but the reticle didn't line up the same on other guns or loads, it was close enough though

i now have the mil based Kahles 1-6, and it works for any load and gun, much more precise but slower than the JM

Me me if you are going to run a similar load as to what the JM is designed for then get it, if not get a moa or mil based version
    will be on 16 inch and usually shooting XM193 Federal, or some very similar 55 grain load. I'm leaning towards mil version for reasons you stated. BDC is only good for 1 specific load.

Feedback Score
    BDC are great for military because we shoot the same ammo out of the same length barrel so it works but if you're switching brands or have a different barrel length the bdc will be close but not perfect. Since we went to the m855a1 the Scotsman are slightly off now once you get out to 300. Plus the m855a1 is wearing guns out quicker now

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the Razor with the JM-1, and it is the reticle that I would recommend.

You might have more discrete hash marks in the MRAD reticle, but they aren't likely to line up at an exact distance/round number either.

I find all the additional stadia lines to be just clutter. The JM-1 is almost perfect for a 1-6x scope. I have found it to be quite easy to get the hold overs to line up with any load that I have used. If your ammo is a little slower than what the reticle is designed for, you might zero at 225 instead of exactly at 200. The difference is less than 2 inches at all distances from 200 yards on in.

So you have your scope setup, target is at 400, hold dead on with your 400 yard stadia. 430? Put the 400 yard stadia on top of the target. 450? Bracket the target. All the extra lines in the MRAD reticle are just clutter that you have to count your way through. I might be biased because it is the version that I have, so I think I'm right. I've had no problem getting to 550 on 10 inch steel plates from an improvised rest off the top of a truck.

Here is the JM-1 with real world chrono data from my rifle and factory Swiss Geco 55gr ammo:

Zeroed at 200 yards
    3045 FPS
    .243 BC
    80 degree F

It doesn't get much better than that.

I wouldn't mind a full value wind line at each of the distance stadia......

plugged in the MRAD reticle with the exam same ballistics as the data in the JM-1 reticle above out of curiosity:
    Last edited by IndianaBoy; 05-19-17 at 06:50. Reason: added mrad reticle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a former owner of a TA33. The TA33 is remarkably light for what it does. And it is an excellent optic. But it isn't in the same league optically as the Razor.
    That isn't to say that the Trijicon has poor glass. I was quit impressed with mine. And for man sized targets to 500 ish yards it is EXCELLENT for the weight.

The magnification was too low and the reticle stadia were too thick for ten inch plates out to 500+ And the reticle bloom issue on an ACOG was annoying, although easy to fix. The big chevron is too course for targets on the small side. Shooting at something small at 150-to 200 was problematic with a chevron ACOG.

You already have an ACOG. Buy the Razor. You will be happy with either reticle. I think the JM-1 is superb because of the simplicity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 3 1-6 Razors and if I owned an ACOG I would sell it and buy a 4th. I have both JM and MRAD reticles.

T

Feedback Score
    ACOGs are great and all, but it's really hard to beat a variable optic. I went through this same decision many moons ago and decided on a 1-4x Vortex Viper with LaRue mount. I paid like $700 for both combined which was still ~ $550 less than the ACOG I was looking at.

The variables offer so much versatility; I ended up putting a 2.5-10x on my 308.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    I have 3 1-6 Razors and if I owned an ACOG I would sell it and buy a 4th. I have both JM and MRAD reticles.

T
    Which of the two reticles do you prefer?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Which of the two reticles do you prefer?
    I'm wondering the same thing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as which reticle I prefer..... they have different applications. For 3 Gun applications with 77gr SMK's I feel the JM reticle is the way to go. I only use that one bullet and it's a cleaner reticle that is very intuitive. First round hits at 500yds are not a problem.

The MRAD is what I bought later when I started to get into shooting longer ranges with higher power scopes. Everyone talks in mils. It is not as intuitive to quickly throw a round down range, but it's nice to have constant mil spacing for some shots. Sometimes with the JM you have to hold off in space between lines and with the MRAD the next mil mark can work and get you a better hold.

T

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast