Thread: Short Primary Arms 1-8x24 ACSS scope review..................

Feedback Score

Short Primary Arms 1-8x24 ACSS scope review..................

My background (12 years USAF SF/23+ years State Trooper Firearms,Sniper,SWAT Instructor)

I mounted the standard Primary Arms ACSS 1-8x24 scope on my new Aero Precision M4E1. Primary Arms has beefed up their warranty on their 1-4x24/1-6x24 and the new 1-8x24 to a LIFETIME WARRANTY LIKE THEIR PLATINUM SCOPES!!!. This is one of the reasons I bought this scope!!

This scope has very clear glass (especially for $379.99)! I compared it to the Leupold (3.5-10x40 Mildot don't know model) on my Sniper Rifle and I could NOT tell much difference until I cranked both of them to max magnification, then the PA scope as just slightly hazy..not enough to keep me from reading speed limit signs at 600 yards.
    The reticle lighting is usable in all but extremely bright sunlight. One of the scope caps carries an extra battery. The finish of the scope is very nice. The turrets have good smooth audible clicks and can be set to zero. The magnification ring is very smooth and you got to love the ACSS Reticle!! I mounted my scope on a very inexpensive (Chinese copy of American Defense mount) quick detach mount that is getting rave reviews (if it doesn't work out I will put it on a real American Defense mount)!

After sighting scope in at 100 yards shooting on off backpack on a bench(10-15 shots)..then cleaning the rifle these are the preliminary results:

The attached pic of my targets with different ammo..
    Top left target shows 3 rounds C-C 1.13" (Junk 55g FMJ reloads).
    Top right target shows 3 rounds C-C .762" (Winchester Match 69g)
    Bottom right target shows 3 rounds C-C .936" (50g V-Max Reloads)
    Bottom left target shows 3 rounds C-C 1.389" (more of my Junk 55g FMJ reloads)
    Above the bottom left target is a target that was shot at twice then I removed the QD mounted scope...replaced it and locked it down, then shot 2 more rounds. The return to zero was very good for a $29.99 QD scope mount.
    The center target was shot on 1x using the lit reticle like a red dot shooting 4 rounds as fast as possible.
    So far I am very pleased with my new Aero Precision rifle and PA ACSS scope.
    Sorry for the 3 round groups....I left the house without loading enough ammo and the sun as going down!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How's the eye relief? You have that thing hanging off the back end over the buffer tube...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    How's the eye relief? You have that thing hanging off the back end over the buffer tube...
    The eye box is forgiving on 1x......at 8x not so much, but it is workable as long as you keep your cheek weld. I relief for both 1x and 8x is 3.5" (Measured from the lens to my eyebrow).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last time I went shooting I compared my PA 1-8 to my buddies vortex strike eagle 1-6. In my opinion the primary arms scope is much nicer. Much more forgiving eye box, less noticeable fish eye, smooth mag lever, and the ACSS reticle is unbeatable.

One of the little things I noticed they got right was the illumination. Granted I almost never use it, but on cheap scopes usually the ENTIRE reticle is illuminated and at night even on 1 they are too bright. Not the case with the 1-8. On 1 it's dim enough to be effective at night and I like how the only part of the reticle lit is the horse shoe and chevron.

To add about the eye relief: if i get a solid cheek weld at 1x I can crank the mag all the way to 8 without breaking cheek weld. I was pretty impressed when I figured this out. I haven't measured it myself but 3.5" sounds about right to me for eye relief.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 05-15-17 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Last time I went shooting I compared my PA 1-8 to my buddies vortex strike eagle 1-6. In my opinion the primary arms scope is much nicer. Much more forgiving eye box, less noticeable fish eye, smooth mag lever, and the ACSS reticle is unbeatable.

One of the little things I noticed they got right was the illumination. Granted I almost never use it, but on cheap scopes usually the ENTIRE reticle is illuminated and at night even on 1 they are too bright. Not the case with the 1-8. On 1 it's dim enough to be effective at night and I like how the only part of the reticle lit is the horse shoe and chevron.

To add about the eye relief: if i get a solid cheek weld at 1x I can crank the mag all the way to 8 without breaking cheek weld. I was pretty impressed when I figured this out. I haven't measured it myself but 3.5" sounds about right to me for eye relief.
    Definitely ACSS Reticle for the win.
    If you turn the illumination on 1 you can't tell it is on...so I did an experiment. I tried my 2nd gen and my 3rd gen Night vision monocular's behind the eyepiece and it appears that on setting #1 the reticle is Night Vision compatible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You should send me one of your NVG's to test on mine.

Seems there might be some discrepancy between our two units. Mine is visible at 1. I did get one of the very first ones to be released.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery