Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blasphemous thought: The AK has better sights than the AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Unfortunately, AK sights are attached to AKs.
    +1

The AK is such a piss-poor platform for attaching optics that you'd better be glad the iron sights are great, cuz yer friggin' stuck with 'em.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    +1

The AK is such a piss-poor platform for attaching optics that you'd better be glad the iron sights are great, cuz yer friggin' stuck with 'em.

Nonsense. With the left side optics mount attached to the receiver and a RS Regulate mount you have a rock solid, bombproof system to attach any optic be it Aimpoint, MRO, ACOG or a scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
    Nonsense. With the left side optics mount attached to the receiver and a RS Regulate mount you have a rock solid, bombproof system to attach any optic be it Aimpoint, MRO, ACOG or a scope.
    Well, my experiences were somewhat different. YMMV.

1. The mounts that attached to the side rail that I tried in one way or another weren't 100% over the bore, leading to windage adjustment issues (especially with ComBloc scopes. I had a Belarus mount that wasn't even anywhere near centered.)
    2. The locking lever of any mount using the side rail would invariably snag on my gear leading to it coming undone at the worst times.
    3. Most mounts I tried left the optic way to high for a good cheek weld.
    5. Adjusting the tension on the mount either left the mount rattling on the rail or it could not be locked down due to the tension being overtightened.

I'll grant you: I haven't owned an AK in about six years, and I gave up trying to mount an optic on one at least a few years before that, so if improvements have been made then I haven't dabbled with it recently enough to know about them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1. The mounts that attached to the side rail that I tried in one way or another weren't 100% over the bore, leading to windage adjustment issues (especially with ComBloc scopes. I had a Belarus mount that wasn't even anywhere near centered.)
    2. The locking lever of any mount using the side rail would invariably snag on my gear leading to it coming undone at the worst times.
    5. Adjusting the tension on the mount either left the mount rattling on the rail or it could not be locked down due to the tension being overtightened.

I'll grant you: I haven't owned an AK in about six years, and I gave up trying to mount an optic on one at least a few years before that, so if improvements have been made then I haven't dabbled with it recently enough to know about them.

RS Regulate mounts allow centering over bore and can be staked in place.

The lever is very low profile and near impossible to snag on gear.

The height with Aimpoints is just fine for cheek weld. I use a cheek riser for my TA33 but the 1.5x16 ACOG, Browe and PA 762 ACSS prism all mount much lower.

The tension adjustment on the RS is 6 points per turn to fine tune it.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think the point from the OP may be model dependent. I have a SAM7SF and it is hard to get a good sight picture for me when naturally shouldering. I can get there but it doesn't come as natural as with my ARs.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Irons on the SF come up perfect for me. A thin cheek pad improves RDS acquisition. I need a thicker cheek pad for the TA33 to be more consistent.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    My eyes aren't the best and I find typical AK sights hard to focus on / line up. My vision presents me with a kind of "double" rear sight and it prevents me from lining up the elevation consistently so I often end up with a fair amount of vertical spread. A rear peep sight typically helps to make the front sight a little sharper for me.
    Follow me on Instagram @triggerguard

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do find aspects of the AK sites faster at closer ranges and less cluttered since you aren't focusing through an aperture. Though, for filtering out information and dialing in on a target, the AR15 sights have clear advantages.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    By your own admission you don't know what you're talking about yet you had to comment with outdated data because you're on the defensive. Muh post count and join date make me master, HA!
    The RS Regulate mount is made in America. The locking lever sits flush so it's not catching on anything. The optic sits as low as you can go. With an Aimpoint or similar type RDS there is no need for a chin weld or riser added to your stock. The mount locks up solid and doesn't rattle or move. You can leave the mount on and field strip the rifle or you can take the mount off, throw the SOB, replace it and it holds zero.

I have fired well over a million rounds through the AK and have been shooting them since the early 1980s when AKs weren't cool. Experience trumps post count and join date. A lot of things change in 6 plus years.

Feedback Score
    i would say its true, when compare my AR and my Ak. i get a better precision with the AK than the AR and i think its as a result of a better sight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast