Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Benelli M1 and M2 shotguns...

Feedback Score
    Is this a common issue for the M1?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Is this a common issue for the M1?
    Don't think so. But did happen to mine. I'm not even sure what caused it. My theory is that the main inertia spring got a little weak and allowed the bolt head to recoil a bit too much and catching the edge of the ejector housing.

Marlton, Evesham Township, New Jersey USA
    Feedback Score
    On the M1 Super 90, any particular things to look for when inspecting a prospective purchase?
    Check the receiver thoroughly for cracks and/or warping. They are made out of aluminum, and there were multiple reports of issues with folks over tightening their sidesaddles when installing them, flexing the receiver. I had an M1 Super 90 Tactical for years and it was an awesome weapon. I really regret selling it.
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    You're probably right. I haven't really kept up with it, it's all a bit hazy in my mind. I do have a HK model and it will do it.
    To set up an M1 to ghost load, you just file the notch in the bottom of the bolt carrier on the side that the lift gate comes up and touches. Pretty fast and easy to do.

Feedback Score
    Picked this one up up today. Receiver is marked "HECKLER & KOCH INC - STERLING VA". The serial number is really hard to make out, but appears to be "MO99xxx" or possibly "MO89xxx"? The seller said that it was made in 1990, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Appears to be in overall nice condition. This is supposed to be an 18.5 inch barrel but for some reason seems longer - maybe it's just my 56-year old eyes.

Feedback Score
    Picked this one up up today. Receiver is marked "HECKLER & KOCH INC - STERLING VA". The serial number is really hard to make out, but appears to be "MO99xxx" or possibly "MO89xxx"? The seller said that it was made in 1990, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Appears to be in overall nice condition. This is supposed to be an 18.5 inch barrel but for some reason seems longer - maybe it's just my 56-year old eyes.
    I've had several HK-marked Super90s and to my understanding, all HK-marked guns are early 90's imports. My current one is a 20" rifle-sighted barrel with a spare 21" vent-rib barrel and longer mag tube. It is definitely a keeper since we have some history together.

From the perspective in the pic, that does look like a 20" barrel...but Benelli doesn't quite get the Imperial system apparently. Their 18" is actually 18.5", and the 20" is 19.75" so there is only 1.25" diff between their 18" & 20" barrels and it could really be either one until you put a ruler to it.

My original barrel has OEM screw-in chokes making my gun one of the later ones imported. Does your have screw-ins?

I'm not a fan of either their PG stock or GRS, but that is still a nice gun and it looks like it is in great condition. Congrats!

If it's a keeper for you, you might want to pick-up an inertia spring (the heavy spring inside the bolt) and a recoil spring (in the tub inside the stock). Unless the receiver has been crimped like specopsscout said, those two springs are about the only thing that can go wrong with them and they are cheap and handy to have on-hand just-in-case.

MikeN
    Last edited by MJN1957; 05-20-17 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    Do the M1 and M2 use the same springs?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do the M1 and M2 use the same springs?
    Nice shotgun, exactly like the one I have. I have changed quite a few things on mine over the years to suit my 3gunning. It's still quite usable for HD though. The springs should be the same, but be careful about the recoil spring. For some reason Brownell's Benelli factory recoil spring is SN# sensitive.

Does yours' have the interchangeable chokes?
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-21-17 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Nice shotgun, exactly like the one I have. I have changed quite a few things on mine over the years to suit my 3gunning. It's still quite usable for HD though. The springs should be the same, but be careful about the recoil spring. For some reason Brownell's Benelli factory recoil spring is SN# sensitive.

Does yours' have the interchangeable chokes?
    No interchangeable chokes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12