Thread: pillar vs full block

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)

pillar vs full block

pls lecture me. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Pillar bedding makes it so that the action screws don't squish the stock inconsistently.

Embedding a metal bedding "block" in the stock also does this, in addition to limiting stock bending and twisting.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightestfighter View Post
    Pillar bedding makes it so that the action screws don't squish the stock inconsistently.

Embedding a metal bedding "block" in the stock also does this, in addition to limiting stock bending and twisting.
    which one is better? I plan on using a bipod for bench shooting.
    Last edited by HMsailor; 05-15-17 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    which one is better? I plan on using a bipod for bench shooting.
    Ask yourself how much material you have to start with and how much would have to be removed for either method and where would that leave you.
    When you start going down this road you might want to ask yourself if buying an aftermarket stock might not now be a better solution?
    I'm not sure how skilled you are at this, but if you're asking this question, I would guess this might be your first shot at this. An aftermarket stock, although sometimes a pricey investment will allow you to return to your original configuration if you choose to sell later.
    I would read up on all three of those options and think about it and perhaps talk to someone locally who's got some experience with this.
    I've done pillar, it wasn't difficult, but I have a woodshop and an extensive list of tools.