Thread: Advice for new Larue FDE 7.62

Feedback Score

Advice for new Larue FDE 7.62

Picked up my Larue FDE 7.62 two weeks ago and am in the process of getting it set up. Also picked up a Tranquilo, but as we all know, that's going to be a long process.

I am leaning towards a Schmidt & Bender for the optic. I'll mainly be long range sniper target type shooting in the 600-1000yard + range. I've never owned a S&B scope, plenty of other high end scopes though. My initial thoughts are 5-25x56 or possibly a 3-27x56. As far as reticle, no idea. I am trying to research and better understand the different reticles. Anybody have any links or recommendations explaining the different reticles and their uses/advantages etc.? Anybody running a S&B? Thoughts/Advice? I went to the S&B booth at the NRA convention and wow, they sure are nice! I "need" one.

Also, what's the go to bipod and ammo for this setup?

I am looking for someone with a military sniper type background to provide some instruction on long range shooting and reticle training in the Atlanta area. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks ahead of time guys! Can't wait to get setup and get to the range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You'll need to travel for training more than likely.

Federal GMM 175 gr is the standard ammo.

The 3-27x premium is likely not worth the squeeze over the 5-25x. Reticles are very much preference---just make sure you get mil reticle and mil knobs or MOA reticle with MOA knobs. I prefer H2CMR because it isn't busy, but has fine wind holds. As far as bipod, Atlas or Harris is the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You may want to check out Sniper's Hide forums. But 27x magnification is WAY too much for 1000 yards. The standard rule of thumb is 1x magnification for every 100 yards/meters. The guys at Sniper's Hide, and I, would recommend maximum 16x or so magnification.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Advice for new Larue FDE 7.62

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    You may want to check out Sniper's Hide forums. But 27x magnification is WAY too much for 1000 yards. The standard rule of thumb is 1x magnification for every 100 yards/meters. The guys at Sniper's Hide, and I, would recommend maximum 16x or so magnification.
    This is bad advice. More mag helps with things like reading mirage and spotting. The more power, the more precise you can range targets. This is silly garbage that gets repeated for no reason. Even the army is using 20x now.

And newsflash, variable power scoped can be turned down.

Last edited by tylerw02; 05-14-17 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    What he said ^

A Vortex Gen 2 Razor would be another great option for glass at a slightly lower price point than the S&B.

Atlas bipods are fantastic, but slow and somewhat awkward to deploy when compared to Harris. If you go the Harris route a set of Hawk Hill feet are a must have.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice and info so far guys. I am definitely willing to travel for training if necessary. I'd like sniper/target long range and reticle instruction. Any recommendations?

S&B has a new reticle being released soon that interests me called the LRR-MIL. I am still trying to learn more about it. S&B USA told me an August timeframe. Here's a link:

http://www.eurooptic.com/blog/post/2...utm_medium=JAB

Seems pretty cool, although I don't understand all of it quite yet. I am also on snipershide and trying to read up on everything. Lots to learn. Anyone else care to chime in?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sniper training and shooting are two different things. Be careful not to confuse the two, some may take offense.