Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal SLR-107R Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Arsenal SLR-107R Review

One of the best things I heard at SHOT this year was the announcement of this rifle. Bulgarian combloc AK build at $849 is good news to American AK shooter's ears.

Pros:
    -reliable
    -CHF CL barrel
    -combloc heat treated receiver
    -rifle takes most AKM accessories
    -no excessive piston wobble
    -CL gas block
    -new trigger is a big improvement, to me, over the old two stage

Cons:
    -no muzzle device (although it's threaded)
    -finish has been good so far but I'm still skeptical about the Arsenal Bulgaria finishes

Full review:

Feedback Score
    good stuff my man, I like my 107r

Sent from my SM-Note4

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic stuff as always
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    It's funny how the market has changed so much. What amounts to a basic AK costs more than a real Colt AR15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It's funny how the market has changed so much. What amounts to a basic AK costs more than a real Colt AR15.
    And I think that is what really hurt the AK market. Twenty years ago everybody wanted AK's. AR's were a high-end toy that most shooters didn't really warm up to the way they do now. There was one guy with an AR for every five that had a MAK90 or Arsenal SLR95.

Then the ban expired about the time the war in Iraq and Afghanistan really got going and all of a sudden the M4 was cool and AK's were overpriced toys.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    And I think that is what really hurt the AK market. Twenty years ago everybody wanted AK's. AR's were a high-end toy that most shooters didn't really warm up to the way they do now. There was one guy with an AR for every five that had a MAK90 or Arsenal SLR95.

Then the ban expired about the time the war in Iraq and Afghanistan really got going and all of a sudden the M4 was cool and AK's were overpriced toys.
    I think another huge part of it was the political climate in recent years. The big Obama panic that was followed by the big Sandy Hook panic, and then topped off if with the Hillary pre panic, put a lot of domestic (AR) manufactures on overdrive. All while imports (AK's) were falling victim to more restrictions.

The panics ended and AR's were in surplus. While import supply more or less stayed at a constant, regardless of demand. Not to mention, the suppliers of AK's overseas are somewhat clever when it comes to business. They saw what consumers in the US are willing to pay, so they know they can adjust their prices accordingly.

The recent SLR107's for $850 are like deja vu back to when SGL's were everywhere for under $900.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I think another huge part of it was the political climate in recent years. The big Obama panic that was followed by the big Sandy Hook panic, and then topped off if with the Hillary pre panic, put a lot of domestic (AR) manufactures on overdrive. All while imports (AK's) were falling victim to more restrictions.

The panics ended and AR's were in surplus. While import supply more or less stayed at a constant, regardless of demand. Not to mention, the suppliers of AK's overseas are somewhat clever when it comes to business. They saw what consumers in the US are willing to pay, so they know they can adjust their prices accordingly.

The recent SLR107's for $850 are like deja vu back to when SGL's were everywhere for under $900.
    And I wonder to what extent it's the "Clinton generation" getting older, too.

All those guys like me that 20-25 years ago plunked down for AK's and SKS's with iron sights, shooting cheap corrosive ammo, are now older, wiser, and blinder. They need a platform with either better sights or the ability to easily mount optics and are willing to spend more for quality ammo and take care of their guns.

AK's? Been there. Done that. Never found one that the 922(r) compliant parts weren't somehow inferior, or the unbanning left the front sight canted or mag well crooked, or something. At this point I don't think I'd invest in an AK unless it were a NIB pre-1989 ban rifle.

Yet I can buy a quality Tier 1 AR like a Colt or BCM and have the thing combat-ready right out of the box except for some kind of sight system.

And they're now most likely about the same price.

So which one does the modern buyer opt for? The ready-made one with no issues, of course.

And I know there will always be those who want an AK, but I'm talking about the public at large who might just want "any HD weapon that holds a lot of ammo."

The poles have indeed shifted.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 05-18-17 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post

The AK costs more because it can fire underwater.

It's that kind of luxury that commands additional premium.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-18-17 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    lol

Sent from my SM-Note4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    The AK costs more because it can fire underwater.

It's that kind of luxury that commands additional premium.
    Now we know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast