Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The AKM in 2017, what should I be looking at

Feedback Score

The AKM in 2017, what should I be looking at

My next project is going to be either a .308 bolt gun to be taken out to 500-700+ meters, or an AKM.

The explicit goal of the AKM project is Foreign Weapons Familiarization. I am trying to become beyond conversant in the use, maintenance, and limited repair / armorer's skills with the AKM platform. The rifle itself should be capable of engaging man sized targets out to 300m, and ideally will run a red dot. Additionally, I am feeling a strong inclination towards a side-folder, and in particular the Magpul Zhukov furniture set. Magpul's extra stocks and fore ends have always been rock solid, and a substantial upgrade on whatever I've handled them on. While a classic wood AKM has some je ne sais quois to it, the durability and longevity of synthetic furniture is where I am headed. Tool-like functionality above all else.

Currently, I see three paths ahead of me:

1) WASR-10. For the $600-700, it seems like this is hard to beat. Properly assembled, carefully inspected, then thoroughly abused and shot to hell and back, these seem like a hard position to argue against. One of my main hesitations is the above stated interest in polymer furniture and folding stocks, and adding these becomes an added expense that creeps upwards towards the other options.

2) PSA AK47 Gen 2. Now, I am really well aware of the reputation that PSA has on these boards. From what little I've been able to glean from the few reliable sources out there (AKOU, a few large threads on AK-centric sites), these are defying expectations when deployed with the forged / milled trunions. Obviously, I won't be buying anything with a cast trunion; that's absurd, from an engineering standpoint alone. The barrels are 4150 CMV and nitrided, which I don't realistically see myself shooting out. I don't rip full auto mags on my ARs, and find such to be an asinine waste of time. If the barrel lasts 60,000 rounds, that will likely be a ceiling above the amount of ammunition that I can afford to feed it. All told, these look decent on paper, and can be had built out with the furniture that I am looking for at a decent price. $650-900.

3) SLR-107 / SAM-7. Obviously the best overall in terms of build quality. These are some nice looking rifles. They are, however, $1000+. For my uses, I am thinking that the several hundred saved by going with a different rifle can be invested in magazines and ammunition. Durability between this and a WASR seems like a toss up: both are military issue grade rifles. One may clearly be 'nicer', and have much better fit and finish, but they both go bang with boring predictability.

I am shying away from the Yugoslavian designs, as well as the Czech Vz-58 for the simple fact that they represent departures from the most common platform in the world, excepting the AR-15. I am looking for interoperability, ease of maintenance, and access to as many parts / accessories as possible.

The initial advice, I can already hear: buy once, cry once, get the Arsenal. What I am looking for is a quantification of why, given my goals, the extra expense is worth it. Given my goals, why would a PSA AK fail to accomplish what I am trying to do? What exactly is lacking in an WASR-10 that makes an Arsenal truly worth almost twice as much? Am I on a fool's errand? What else should I be looking at?
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 05-09-17 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The WASR is a good choice for your listed purpose. It's definitely an ugly duckling compared to an Arsenal or VEPR but they work. Personally I would look closely at the Arsenal 107R. For around $850 it's an excellent Ak and would be well suited to your purpose and be a notch or two above the WASR in appearance if that matters to you and a bit more refined than the WASR. The VEPR is also excellent. VEPR's have some unique parts and don't readily accept standard hand guards. They run around $999. A milled Arsenal is a great rifle but they sure are spendy. The Galil Ace is also excellent but they are more expensive than a milled Arsenal.

The WASR will do everything the other Ak rifles will do. The more expensive ones just look a little nicer and might be made to tighter tolerances and may have a some more fancy features like a milled receiver or a wiz bang folding stock. As long as it accepts the magazines you will use on it and shoot somewhere in the 3-5 MOA range with cheap ammo I'd call it a day.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend and what you get for the extra $ compared the WASR. Nothing wrong with a WASR at all mind you. Just inspect the rifle you purchase closely and look for straight sites and good rivets if it is a stamped Ak.

Avoid the PSA Ak's. Too many issues with these to recommend them to anyone who is looking to get an Ak. Go take a look over on the Akfiles forum and you will see the same passion for the WASR as you do on this site for the Colt 6920. They both just work and are excellent examples of their respective platforms if not the gold standard. Some are better and many are worse.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 05-09-17 at 23:18.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    WASR, Arsenal, or a known quality parts kit put together by a known quality re-manufacturer, like Atlantic.

For the money, the WASR is hard to beat. Just, as mentioned, be sure to inspect it in person before buying, or buy one that has already been inspected by somebody like Atlantic.

And the Zhukov stock kinda sucks. I would advise a CNC Warrior/Bonesteel folding stock instead, if you're after a folder. They do them with AR-15 carbine-type tubes on the folding mechanism, too, if you want/need the adjustable LOP.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Contrary to popular belief on this board, PSAK are fine rifles. As indicated by AKOU PSA finally did something right with their PSAK. Yes, their gen 1s used cast trunions, but that has been rectified. I, for one, trust AKOU in their assessment of the PSAK47. It functioned well in their 5k round testing and Rob Ski speaks highly of it. If you're looking for a great rifle but don't want to dump $1000+ on an Arsenal, the PSAK is a fine choice. You won't find the errant canted front sights like you will on the WASR and, personally, I like the finish on the PSAK better than any WASR ive come across. Keep in mind this is only my $0.02 and you are free to make your own choices when it comes to your own rifles. When it all comes down to it, buy what you are comfortable with. Do you need a Ferrari? Or will a Silverado do? Your situation, your money, and, ultimately, your decision.

Fwiw, here's my personal PSAK47. Only about 3k rounds through it so far, but no issues as of yet. I know 3k isn't much, but I actually bought mine after reading and watching a lot of what AKOU had to say about them. Not to mention PSA is about 25 mins from my house, so i could actually inspect before I bought - that was a big plus for me. I wanted an AK for much the same reason you point out in the OP. Im not some Tier 1 door kicker, in fact I'm a paramedic by trade. But I've always loved the lines of an AK, and have wanted one for a long time. I looked at WASR and Arsenals in my search. I was not happy with the machining and finish of the WASR.

Anyway, good luck in your search. I hope whatever AK you choose will suit your needs.
    20170330_212946.jpg20170330_213000.jpg
    Last edited by citizensoldier16; 05-10-17 at 04:38. Reason: Spelling and such
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    citizensoldier16 makes a good point. The PSA factory rifles performed well in the AKOU testing. As far as the barreled receiver kits PSA is selling it appears to be a mixed bag. Some work great and others have issues. Some VEPR owners have issues with certain magazines so you pay your money and take your chances.

It cant be said enough that whichever rifle you get, inspect it thoroughly before taking possession of it. Purchase from a reputable shop or online vendor that will work with you if you get a lemon or something slipped past you in your inspection.

Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 05-10-17 at 09:41.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    If you can swing it, get a Romarm SAR 1. Best overall AKM imported for the money. Has magwell dimples, y stamp, and scope rail. Just need to swap the gas block, thread the muzzle, add detent pin with spring and a slant comp.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Arsenal 107 or if you can swing it the IWI Galil Ace in 7.62x39 is state of art civilian AK in USA.

Feedback Score
    If you are looking to familiarize, get a sar1, wasr or something, keep stock furniture, or get surplus, and a few (many) cases of ammo and wear out the barrel ringing steel. Take it apart, completely, to get family with how things work together. Have fun.

You could get a saiga and convert it, but takes time.

My honest advice would be to wait until prices get back to normal. Ak prices are 50% higher than worth imo right now. $500 for a good ak is doable. $400 is a deal. But, if you want one, it is what it is, just be aware prices could drop down the road.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-10-17 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If you are looking to familiarize, get a sar1, wasr or something, keep stock furniture, or get surplus, and a few (many) cases of ammo and wear out the barrel ringing steel. Take it apart, completely, to get family with how things work together. Have fun.

My honest advice would be to wait until prices get back to normal. Ak prices are 50% higher than worth imo right now. $500 for a good ak is doable. $400 is a deal. But, if you want one, it is what it is, just be aware prices could drop down the road.
    What makes you say that AKs are overpriced now, and what makes you think that they will come down in price? I understand that in the early 2000s, a decent AK could be had for $400 or so. Those days are gone. Why do you believe that they will come back?

To those suggesting the SAR1, what makes that a particularly worthy buy vs the WASR? Just a quick search about their particulars, and an SAR1 vs WASR query, return very little in the way of differentiation between the two. WASR-10s are eminently available. What makes the SAR1 worth seeking out?

To those suggesting the Arsenal, my initial post was designed to get deeper feedback than 'buy an arsenal'.

I have several firearms projects, as noted in the OP. If now is not the time to enter the AK game, I can instead spend the money on a Savage 10, a good glass, and a stack of .308. Learning how to search out, range, and engage targets out to 700m is a skill that I've been wanting to acquire. If AKs will realistically return to more affordable levels, maybe I should move on with my bolt gun project, or a .300 BO / 5.56x45mm SBR, or get an Omega can and tax stamp, or get into the 12 gauge shotgun game, or pick up an ACOG or VCOG for my 16" mid-length and start taking it out to 500m on the regular. In short, there's plenty of places for me to spend my money (besides on more ammo), and if the AK doesn't have an obvious easy button (WASR-10? But if they will be $400 again, why not wait?), then I'll just move on to another project.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As I said above, I did very similar research as you have done. I ended up buying a PSAK47. I think what I, and others like 7n6 and Fuzzy reticle are saying is buy what you're happy with if you really want an AKM. If you're not completely dedicated to the idea of buying an AK variant, evaluate that first. Are you looking to improve your long range engagement skills, or are you looking to get an AK? From what im reading above, you need to figure that out what it is you wish to spend your hard earned money on before you address the particulars of different AK manufactureres.

As I said, a PSAK47 is a fine rifles if that's the direction you want to go. But only you can decide if you need another rifle or better glass or better training. Ask yourself what it is you seek, then seek what is most practical to your needs.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast