Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanov View Post
    If you use the standard receiver extension and own a stock that would fit onto it that is in "close proximity" then it is a short barrel rifle as defined by the NFA. Attaching it, unfortunately, is not required to violate the law according to ATF, based on the reading of this ruling.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ru...stols/download

People are going to argue this stuff endlessly. A pistol receiver extension that is unable to accept a stock is definitely legal. A standard receiver extension may or may not be a violation. It is significantly easier and, I think, smarter to simply choose the option that is definitely legal.
    Not exactly.

There is constructive intent that needs to be considered. Many owners of AR pistols have extra stocks laying around that can be mounted to a pistol buffer tube.

It has been discussed here before that having a standard receiver extension is ok to have on an pistol lower. which IG (a moderator) confirmed above.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    It has been discussed here before that having a standard receiver extension is ok to have on an pistol lower. which IG (a moderator) confirmed above.
    Yep. I have an ar pistol with the thordsen kit mounted to a standard receiver extension. It came from the mfg that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post

For example, the "close proximity" rule. OK, I don't have a stock on my pistol.
    There is no close proximity rule. You can use a standard, unmodified carbine receiver extension on your pistol.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    There is no close proximity rule.
    I was wondering about that... couldn't figure if "the close proximity rule" was about two Brits playing horseshoes or the name of rock band.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe the KAK brace will fit on a carbine RE. If so, just install one of those until your stamp comes back
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I've used an A2 rifle buffer tube before. It's smooth so a carbine stock won't work on it, I don't own an A2 stock and the tube is long so it fits the shoulder. I only used it for smaller calibers, not 458 Socom etc.

Feedback Score
    Here is the thing, do you really want to take a chance if you run into an ignorant agent or local cop? That's why it's best just to make it as obvious that it's a pistol as you can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
    Here is the thing, do you really want to take a chance if you run into an ignorant agent or local cop? That's why it's best just to make it as obvious that it's a pistol as you can.
    Of course, but as long as you are not breaking the law, you are ok. The officer has to prove that you are breaking the law. Using a standard receiver extension without a stock, a pistol tube, or even a rifle extension tube w/o a stock is not illegal.

So as long as you are not breaking the law, you are in the clear. It would have to be a very uneducated officer or you are clearly breaking the law for you to be arrested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Of course, but as long as you are not breaking the law, you are ok. The officer has to prove that you are breaking the law. Using a standard receiver extension without a stock, a pistol tube, or even a rifle extension tube w/o a stock is not illegal.

So as long as you are not breaking the law, you are in the clear. It would have to be a very uneducated officer or you are clearly breaking the law for you to be arrested.
    Most cops know NOTHING about the NFA and may or may not place a call to an ATF agent to ask a question that they get to word such as,"I got this guy with what looks like an SBR, he says he can't put a stock on it but it sure looks like he can. He says a stock won't fit but it has the stock position holes, what should I do?" Two possible answers: seize the weapon and we will figure it out; or, seize the weapon and arrest the owner and we will figure it out. So, carry the letter that comes with a brace if you use one, and use a pistol buffer extension if you are building a pistol. Even a legitimate defense will probably require legal expenses.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It is NOT illegal to have an RE on a pistol that will accept a stock. It is NOT illegal to have an RE on a pistol that will accept a stock. It is NOT illegal to have an RE on a pistol that will accept a stock.

If it WAS, a lower with an RE and a stock would be sold as a rifle. Instead, a lower with an RE and a stock is sold as OTHER and the buyer MUST BE AT LEAST 21 because it can be legally configured as a pistol. The stock does have to be removed before the lower can be assembled as a pistol, but the RE does NOT have to be changed. If just the ability of a pistol to accept a stock made it an SBR, then all Glocks with the hollow backstrap would be SBRs. Several single action revolvers would be SBRs. A good number of Mauser Broomhandle, Luger PO9 and Hi Power pistols would be SBRs. But they are not SBRs until the stock is actually installed
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast