Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice for good scope...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    S&B has recently had some pretty big price reductions. There's a company in Denver, Co.that sells S&B, that can VERY likely put you into a brand new S&B within your price range. So many folks rule out S&B right away because of the cost. I understand that, but in this market, at $2500, it is very possible. Another amazing scope that can definitely be had in your price range is the Vortex Razor. Don't be afraid of pre owned. With the warranty being what it is, buy it pre owned and drive on. The Razor is a great scope, and very likely my next big glass purchase.

To give you a frame of reference, I shoot a S&B PMII 5-25 on my GAP-10. Even having the Schmidt, I'd look at the Razor.

Just my opinion and thoughts. Hope it helps a little.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Go with nightforce or leupold mk6 3-18. Don't go razor, their razor line is imho their only stuff worth getting but I don't think they have the razor in the range you're looking for.
    The gen2 Razor has a 3-18x option that would work great in terms of quality and range, but it is large and extremely heavy. If size and weight were not an issue, it would be at the top of your list.

As many have said, the Mark 6 3-18x is probably the lightest quality option, but I like others would lean heavily in favor of a Nightforce.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I am leaning towards Nightforce. Can someone educate me on the difference between the NXS and ATACR lines?
    I think the 3-15 nxs and 4-16 atacr both fit my needs on paper.
    Last edited by Breadman; 05-24-17 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
    I am leaning towards Nightforce. Can someone educate me on the difference between the NSX and ATACR lines?
    I think the 3-15 nsx and 4-16 atacr both fit my needs on paper.
    Basically different generations. The NXS is the premium and rugged line that came out 10+ years ago. The ATACR is a newer line that incorporates (in some models) more magnification range and some newer features, but is basically in the same spot of a high end, rugged scope.

With most companies the high-end scope model of 10+ years ago looks very dated today, but the NXS line has aged well and is still competitive in terms of quality and features, although it's priced rather high. Basically all Nightforce scopes are well made and expensive.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    So, just to update the post. I was intending to buy a nightforce nxs 3-15 and was online shopping the best price when a member here posted a Steiner Txi 3-15. The price was good enough to skew my decision. The check is in the mail and I took advantage of PSA's Memorial Day sale to grab a Geissele scope mount. I am eager to get it all together and see how it shoots.
    Thanks for all the advice!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is how I've come across a couple great deals on this forum, congrats and looking forward to an update after you receive it to get your first impression.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    for what you're looking for, consider the NXS line.

ATACR is a bit overkill given how great the NXS line is already.

get 2nd focal plane for the ranges you described. FFP is for longer distances and milling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    for what you're looking for, consider the NXS line.

ATACR is a bit overkill given how great the NXS line is already.

get 2nd focal plane for the ranges you described. FFP is for longer distances and milling.
    He ended up with a a Steiner Txi 3-15......
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12