Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice for good scope...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Seeking advice for good scope...

I have recently picked up a Daniels Defence .308 with 18" barrel. I am thinking I want to put a scope on it with 3-15 (or similar) power. This is a very lightweight and well balanced rifle, so if there were two similar scopes and one was lighter weight, I would lean in that direction. My priorities are: clear glass, durability, and nice reticle (prefer mil with mil adjustments). Zero stop is also a desirable feature. Illuminated reticle is nice, but not a deal breaker.
    I have handled a Nightforce and Steiner 3-15 (I'm not sure of model numbers) and liked both of them for different reasons.
    I am not a newby to good glass. I currently have magnified optics by Schmidt and Bender, Premier Reticles, Nightforce, and Leupold... however; I know there are newer things out there and want to buy a scope that will be with me for a long time.
    I am not really concerned with the price of the optic. Good glass doesn't come cheap, but I also like to get a good deal. I have no problem buying a good scope used.
    Thanks for your advice!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The most compact and light scope that I know of that fits your criteria is the Leupold Mk6 3-18. I however prefer the slightly larger and 5oz heavier nightforce atacr 4-16 due to its better eyebox, slightly better glass, and a more usable reticle at lower magnification.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
    I have recently picked up a Daniels Defence .308 with 18" barrel. I am thinking I want to put a scope on it with 3-15 (or similar) power. This is a very lightweight and well balanced rifle, so if there were two similar scopes and one was lighter weight, I would lean in that direction. My priorities are: clear glass, durability, and nice reticle (prefer mil with mil adjustments). Zero stop is also a desirable feature. Illuminated reticle is nice, but not a deal breaker.
    I have handled a Nightforce and Steiner 3-15 (I'm not sure of model numbers) and liked both of them for different reasons.
    I am not a newby to good glass. I currently have magnified optics by Schmidt and Bender, Premier Reticles, Nightforce, and Leupold... however; I know there are newer things out there and want to buy a scope that will be with me for a long time.
    I am not really concerned with the price of the optic. Good glass doesn't come cheap, but I also like to get a good deal. I have no problem buying a good scope used.
    Thanks for your advice!
    A certain price range would help narrow down the field, are you looking to spend in the $500, 1000, 2000 range? Also with Memorial day coming up I'd hold off until then and see whats on sale. Maybe choose three or four optics that are in or just above your price range and then see which one has the best deal.

Also what range are you trying to shoot with the scope? I fire 100-200 yards with my DD 5.56 and find my Vortex Viper 6.5x20-44mm is more than enough to see clearly at those ranges.

Congrats on the new DD!
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Thanks for your advice!
    Well, if price is not a factor, I would be looking at a Tangent Theta 3-15. TT315P. The Mk6 3-18 is a good optic but if you want illumination I think the cost is outrageously different. For the weight factor, this is probably the best bet as said above. If going for a Steiner get the M5xi. I'm guessing you looked through a T5xi. Of course you can always get a S&B and call it a day too. I think knowing your price point will help greatly. As I have mentioned optics from 2k to 4k here. Weight is just a tough one...
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Have you tried the Swarovski X5 series? I sold my V6i and got the X5 . I would go Nightforce, over Steiner. I'm not impressed with my Steiner nor their Military series.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    To answer questions posted above:
    1) I guess my price range is $2500ish. It would be great if I could get a scope I am happy with for less, but I would be willing to pay more for a scope that justifies the difference.
    2) 50% of my .308 shooting is done from 50-200yds. 30% is from 200-600yds. 20% is done from 600-1000yds.
    Target size goes from golf balls out to 200yds and 12" plates and torsos out to 1000.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Well, if price is not a factor, I would be looking at a Tangent Theta 3-15. TT315P. The Mk6 3-18 is a good optic but if you want illumination I think the cost is outrageously different. For the weight factor, this is probably the best bet as said above. If going for a Steiner get the M5xi. I'm guessing you looked through a T5xi. Of course you can always get a S&B and call it a day too. I think knowing your price point will help greatly. As I have mentioned optics from 2k to 4k here. Weight is just a tough one...
    Is Tangent Theta the company that bought out Premier reticles? There is a familiarity about that scope.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Is Tangent Theta the company that bought out Premier reticles? There is a familiarity about that scope.
    Off topic, but ATI bought Premier after TT already existed and had designed their product. TT is owned by ATI. There are very few similarities besides the reticles on the TT vs Premier. To my knowledge, they purchased the company for the test equipment / assets, and not to build off existing Premier Product line.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    To answer questions posted above:
    1) I guess my price range is $2500ish. It would be great if I could get a scope I am happy with for less, but I would be willing to pay more for a scope that justifies the difference.
    2) 50% of my .308 shooting is done from 50-200yds. 30% is from 200-600yds. 20% is done from 600-1000yds.
    Target size goes from golf balls out to 200yds and 12" plates and torsos out to 1000.

Well it sounds like any 3-15, 4-16 would fit this bill. What reticles do you prefer? I would narrow it down to that first and you may rule out a few brands just in reticles. If illumination is a must, you will prob instantly rule out the MK6 if going with a horus reticle thats illuminated. The MSR is a good reticle that Steiner offers on the M5Xi line in the 3-15, but for the 600+ shots the cross hairs are a little thick, and would choose the h59 for a few hundred more. That fits your price range in the second hand market.. The non illuminated MK6 would also fit your price range. And can be found on the EE for 1800 or so. The ATACR is decent, but I dont care for the Mil-R reticle. Another option in that 2500 range is the new USO B-17. Looks through one the other day and much more impressed with these then previous offerings. And for 2200-2600 with 10% coupon code from optics planet, you can get a good reticle in not so heavy package. Think they are 30oz. Could be a decent option.

Here is one of the Steiner M5Xi with illuminated h59 over on the hide. https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...rice-drop-5-15
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 05-17-17 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    Go with nightforce or leupold mk6 3-18. Don't go razor, their razor line is imho their only stuff worth getting but I don't think they have the razor in the range you're looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast