Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Lee?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Why Lee?

I asked this on another forum, but am curious to see the answers here too. Why do so many people suggest Lee products to those interested in reloading? Their scales I've seen in action don't balance well, the presses I've handled all felt cheap and their powder measuring system with the dippers to me just seems to invite to much variance. For a little more money one can get into better presses, scales and micrometers that aren't made of plastic and don't give a consistent read

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    For a little more money one can get into better presses
    That probably answers your question for the majority of people making the suggestions you asked about. I use Lee dies for 9mm & .45 ACP on a Redding T-7, which work fine. I replaced my Lee .223 die set with Redding after the Lee decided to start tearing up my brass and then fell apart when I disassembled it. Perhaps that indicates a design flaw in the Lee .223 dies, or perhaps it was just a one-off fluke. A data set of [one] is not that useful.

Feedback Score
    More than likely because Lee is a good low cost "Entry Level" brand.
    Are there better products out there sure but for folks just getting into reloading it makes sense to go with a low cost option.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
    That probably answers your question for the majority of people making the suggestions you asked about. I use Lee dies for 9mm & .45 ACP on a Redding T-7, which work fine. I replaced my Lee .223 die set with Redding after the Lee decided to start tearing up my brass and then fell apart when I disassembled it. Perhaps that indicates a design flaw in the Lee .223 dies, or perhaps it was just a one-off fluke. A data set of [one] is not that useful.
    I've torn up so much brass, but then just went a head and got a universal decapper, problem solved. Yeah I have to throw in another step to resize and make sure my brass is lubed but whatever.
    I'm also new to reloading, and yes, the Lee stuff was a good entry, but everything works, I just didn't get their junk scale or powder throw, problem solved.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own a RCBS Jr ( cast in 1968), and a Dillon 550. The Lee classic cast sits with them quite well. Superior spent primer collection, better leverage, ability to handle 50 bmg , easy to maintain with oil points, adjustable handle.

The Lee crimp die is also well designed and effective.

I have passed on their scales and measures. I am sure that they work ok but Redding and RCBS fill that role for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    The Lee [sic: factory] crimp die is also well designed and effective. I have passed on their scales and measures. I am sure that they work ok but Redding and RCBS fill that role for me.
    LOVE some of their products like their factory crimp die and their neck-sizing collet die is a best buy/must have for bolt guns.

But I too pass on their scales.

One of their $24 power measures, w/ neoprene wiper, worked as well in a huge powder drop test that one of the single shot forums hosted; working as well as ~$240 Harrells culver measures.

Feedback Score
    Lee=junk. Period. I have bought some and given some and even the free $4¡t wasn't worth what I paid for it.

A few cents more or a buck or two and you can have something worth your time and money.

Feedback Score
    My first car wasn't a new Rolls Royce or a Cadillac it was a 54 Chevy with a moving blanket covering the worn out front seat.

I started reloading with a Lee loader and then bought a RCBS Rockchucker press in 1973 that I'm still using today.

Last night I sized 500 once fired military 9mm cases with a Lee die on my 44 year old Rockchucker press.

"Why Lee" has a simple answer, its a product many people can afford. And not everyone needs or can afford a Rolls Royce.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    My first car wasn't a new Rolls Royce or a Cadillac it was a 54 Chevy with a moving blanket covering the worn out front seat.

I started reloading with a Lee loader and then bought a RCBS Rockchucker press in 1973 that I'm still using today.

Last night I sized 500 once fired military 9mm cases with a Lee die on my 44 year old Rockchucker press.

"Why Lee" has a simple answer, its a product many people can afford. And not everyone needs or can afford a Rolls Royce.
    Well a lot of old timers that review newer Lee equipment are in about unanimous agreement that the affordable Lee of yesteryear ain't the affordable Lee of today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Well a lot of old timers that review newer Lee equipment are in about unanimous agreement that the affordable Lee of yesteryear ain't the affordable Lee of today.
    That may be true. But if Lee sees itself as the affordable option they are likely forced to cut corners and cheapen things up to keep prices low.

This gets back to my original post. A Pro 1000 made of steel with metal gears would probably be as durable as about anything else out there. But it would probably cost as much as a Dillon Square Deal.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast