Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Lee?

Feedback Score

Why Lee?

I asked this on another forum, but am curious to see the answers here too. Why do so many people suggest Lee products to those interested in reloading? Their scales I've seen in action don't balance well, the presses I've handled all felt cheap and their powder measuring system with the dippers to me just seems to invite to much variance. For a little more money one can get into better presses, scales and micrometers that aren't made of plastic and don't give a consistent read

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    For a little more money one can get into better presses
    That probably answers your question for the majority of people making the suggestions you asked about. I use Lee dies for 9mm & .45 ACP on a Redding T-7, which work fine. I replaced my Lee .223 die set with Redding after the Lee decided to start tearing up my brass and then fell apart when I disassembled it. Perhaps that indicates a design flaw in the Lee .223 dies, or perhaps it was just a one-off fluke. A data set of [one] is not that useful.

Feedback Score
    More than likely because Lee is a good low cost "Entry Level" brand.
    Are there better products out there sure but for folks just getting into reloading it makes sense to go with a low cost option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own a RCBS Jr ( cast in 1968), and a Dillon 550. The Lee classic cast sits with them quite well. Superior spent primer collection, better leverage, ability to handle 50 bmg , easy to maintain with oil points, adjustable handle.

The Lee crimp die is also well designed and effective.

I have passed on their scales and measures. I am sure that they work ok but Redding and RCBS fill that role for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    The Lee [sic: factory] crimp die is also well designed and effective. I have passed on their scales and measures. I am sure that they work ok but Redding and RCBS fill that role for me.
    LOVE some of their products like their factory crimp die and their neck-sizing collet die is a best buy/must have for bolt guns.

But I too pass on their scales.

One of their $24 power measures, w/ neoprene wiper, worked as well in a huge powder drop test that one of the single shot forums hosted; working as well as ~$240 Harrells culver measures.

Feedback Score
    Lee=junk. Period. I have bought some and given some and even the free $4¡t wasn't worth what I paid for it.

A few cents more or a buck or two and you can have something worth your time and money.

Feedback Score
    My first car wasn't a new Rolls Royce or a Cadillac it was a 54 Chevy with a moving blanket covering the worn out front seat.

I started reloading with a Lee loader and then bought a RCBS Rockchucker press in 1973 that I'm still using today.

Last night I sized 500 once fired military 9mm cases with a Lee die on my 44 year old Rockchucker press.

"Why Lee" has a simple answer, its a product many people can afford. And not everyone needs or can afford a Rolls Royce.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use the Lee Decapping die, Factory Crimp die and they're great for what they do. I have the .223 RGB "Really Great Buy" 2 die set and the resizing die scratches my brass. I only used it in a pinch because I bent the rod on my RCBS die.

One set of Lee carbide pistol dies has been great but on another set I had to do a lot of thread clean up on the stems.
    The stems don't lock so they have to be checked or adjusted constantly. The locking rings have to be setup fresh every time they're removed so I bought Hornady locking rings. I would've just bought Hornady pistol dies for what I spent adding locking rings to the Lee dies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The amazing thing about most Lee products is that they actually work. The designs are decent but the materials are not. Take the Pro 1000 for example. It is a decent little press. It is simple to operate and easy to change calibers on even if you change out the shell plate rather than the whole carrier assembly. The downfall is the Pro 1000's construction of pot metal, plastic and aluminum.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with tokarev. For the most part Lee uses cheaper materials. The only exception is the classic cast press. Unless it has changed since I purchased mine in 2002....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast