Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Lee?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    As does Dillon and Hornady.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Wasn't sure about hornady, but knew Dillon did. Just haven't had to use their warranties yet. Only reason I needed to use the rcbs was I dropped a micrometer and screwed it up. Called them, told them what happened,I sent mine in and they sent me a brand new one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Rcbs backs their stuff up with unconditional lifetime warranties.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Fred Huntington sold RCBS decades ago and he passed some years ago. I, and my family, knew him well. He was such a pompous arrogant ass that I still have trouble buying anything RCBS just out of spite.

That said, as I started to reload 40 years ago, I bought. Lyman and Lee starter kits as that's all I could really afford. I got a Lee 1000 for 9 & 10mm in '83. I still have and use both. I have had to replace some plastic parts over the years, but not a big deal. I just use the 1000 for 9mm any more as the 1000 is not the most precise but more than good enough for training ammo and nothing else is faster than the Lee for bulk reloading. Especially for the price. I have a Dillon 550 for 10mm and 5.56. I would have to spend nearly 4x what I spent on the Lee to do the same thing with same features. The Lee isn't the best built, but it does the job.

Feedback Score
    I started loading many years ago with a lee classic cast and lee dies, they still work as good now as then.
    I love my lee collet dies and crimp dies, I have every die manufacture out there some are better than others no doubt. I bought my lee equipment when I started cause it was cheaper than the rest and didn't know if I would like reloading.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As you probably know, Lee will recondition or replace anything they make for half new price if you send it in.
    I did not know that. But I'd likely just buy a replacement and not have to deal with returning anything.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I too am a huge fan of their FCD's and use them quite a lot. Their pistol dies are quite excellent as they size down further to the base to take out any bulge from the base that other dies miss or create. There are few things more annoying than to do a large load of pistol ammo and then find half of it doesn't plunk into the gauge because the case wasn't sized all the way down. I also like their ball case cuttter as it's simple to trim down some length before setting up a WFT to do large batches.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another unique Lee product is the hand press. I've had one of these little suckers for twenty years and have loaded everything from 380 Auto to 308 Winchester on it. I still use it from time to time for sizing cases prior to tumbling or when working up loads or loading in small batches.

The leverage isn't the best and I think the press could use longer handles but it works well for what it is and easily fits in a range bag or similar.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Some of the LEE dies are unbeatable. I've got the lowest neck run-out, BY FAR, with the lee collet neck dies. And the Lee factory crimp die is priceless in my .223 production.

The problem with Lee is that the stuff is often made with cheap materials.... so the dies wear out faster. But again, it's usually under $20 to replace them. I would be unhappy without the Lee Dies I have.
    Important question: how much crimp do you put in your .223? I've seen you mentioning it has improved your groups substantially. If I'm measuring with a caliper, how many thousandths down should it be?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Another unique Lee product is the hand press.
    I'll have to googlize that. Sounds like something i'd love!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Important question: how much crimp do you put in your .223? I've seen you mentioning it has improved your groups substantially. If I'm measuring with a caliper, how many thousandths down should it be?
    I don't measure things like this. It drives the instrumentation only/everything must be quantified loaders nuts. I just adjust it until I can see a little bit of the collet marks on the neck. I'm a big fan of feeling what the press it telling me. I can tell when my neck tension sucks/is inconsistent by feel over some ridiculous gauge/measurement.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'll have to googlize that. Sounds like something i'd love!
    Here you go:

http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

Mine is an older version without the breech lock deal but it is essentially the same.

It isn't fast at all but I do find it a useful tool. It works well for loading small batches when working up subsonic loads for 300BLK.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I got a Lee 1000 for 9 & 10mm in '83.
    What probably surprises me the most about the Pro 1000 is how little the press has changed in 30 years. The handle linkage is a little different but the basic design is pretty much unchanged.

I'd really like to see Lee come out with a newer "Pro 2000" that's maybe based off the cast turret press body. Something a bit heavier with a little longer stroke. Also that has room for four dies instead of just three. I think something like this that's priced in the $200 range would be a good seller even though it would probably cut into the Load Master market.

Speaking of the Load Master; I have a friend who wanted to get into progressive reloading and was motivated by cost. I told him to save himself some grief and buy a Lock N Load. But he did all kinds of reading on various forums and whatnot and eventually bought the Lee. I helped him get it set up and we loaded maybe fifty rounds together. I found the press to work well once we got it mounted and adjusted.

The one thing I found really goofball on the LM was the priming on the upstroke. I told Jason not to force anything and to make sure he went slow for awhile until he got a good feel for the primer system. Well, about 20 minutes after I left he jammed a primer and forced the press on the upstroke. Pow! Off the press went to eBay.

After that he decided cheap wasn't necessarily his only motivator. He bought a 650 and started cranking out match-ready reloads in no time.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-21-17 at 07:25.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast